Doing hard time?

Terry Roberts

Former inmate speaks out about treatment at HMP

A former inmate at Her Majesty's Penitentiary in St. John's says he was singled out for harsh and disrespectful treatment by correctional officers because of his involvement in the dismissal of a fellow officer.

Harbour Grace native Steven Yetman was released from prison Christmas Eve after serving 14 months of a nearly 20-month sentence for theft and fraud convictions.

Steven Yetman stands outside Her Majesty's Penitentiary in St. John's Thursday. The 26-year-old alleges he was singled out by guards at the facility for his part in the dismissal of one of their colleagues. - Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram

The 26-year-old said his time in prison was complicated by a series of seizures, that on several occasions, nearly took his life.

It was following one of these seizures Oct. 14 at St. Clare's hospital that Yetman alleges his treatment deteriorated.

He said he was segregated in the prison's special handling unit for 14 days after his return from the hospital for no apparent reason, had his phone and other privileges suspended, was the recipient of hostile comments from officers, and was even denied an opportunity to take a shower for many hours after vomiting over himself and his cell during a seizure.

Yetman also believes he was held in custody for much longer than most in his situation.

"It was payback," Yetman said. "At least two officers made a comment that, 'It don't pay to open your mouth, does it?'"

Yetman said he was hospitalized at St. Clare's from Sept. 3 to Oct. 31, and was supposed to be monitored by a guard at all times.

Yetman said one officer routinely left his room to go outside and would often leave his weapons, radio and shackles in the room.

On the evening of Oct. 14, Yetman said he told the officer he was feeling ill and feared he might soon have a seizure. Yetman said the officer ignored this, and left Yetman alone in the room.

"The last thing I remember is him going out and the next thing I know I'm coming too lying in my own vomit and there's a big old lump on my forehead and nurses and everything around me. I couldn't move my right leg for a couple of weeks after," Yetman stated.

He said a catheter he was wearing was also dislodged. Yetman said he might not have suffered any injuries if the officer had stayed, like he requested.

"A stranger wouldn't do that to you," Yetman said.

Things didn't get any better when the guard returned, said Yetman.

"He asked what happened. I said, 'I don't know.' He hauled out his stick and threatened me. He said, 'tell me what happened or I'll beat it out of you.'"

Yetman said he reported the incident to officials at the penitentiary, and the officer was terminated. Sources confirm that a correctional officer was fired.

The RNC also began an investigation, but Yetman declined to press charges.

"I just didn't want him around me," Yetman said of the officer.

Yetman said he attempted to share his story with The Telegram in the following days, but was denied phone privileges. A Telegram editor acknowledged that when he returned a phone message from Yetman, a male answered the phone and said Yetman could not take any calls.

Yetman's mother also contacted The Telegram, the editor added, and expressed concern that she wasn't able to speak with her son.

"It caused a lot of hardship for them. They were going through a lot," Yetman stated.

Yetman wrote Justice Minister Felix Collins the very next day, and received a reply on Nov. 23.

Collins wrote: "It is my understanding that HMP assistant superintendent Don Roche has investigated the issue related to your stay at St. Clare's. Assistant Roche has advised that this matter has been addressed."

Yetman said the situation worsened when he returned to the prison. He alleges that correctional officers singled him out, and attempts by him to get an early release were continually denied.

Yetman said he exhibited good behaviour, but a letter to Yetman from Roche on Nov. 27 raises some doubt about this.

In his letter, Roche explains why Yetman's request to move to another location in the prison was denied, and why his request for an early release was rejected.

Roche also writes: "I would also recommend that you keep up with the good behaviour you have been displaying over the last period to ensure no other offences are committed during this incarceration, as this could also have an impact on your release date."

Yetman said he would never speak out about his experience if there was ever a chance he might go back to prison. He said he made a mistake, paid a high price, and wants to get his life back on track.

But he said he has hired a lawyer and plans to take legal action against the Department of Justice.

A spokesperson for the justice department said the minister has reviewed the situation and feels it was dealt with appropriately.

troberts@thetelegram.com

Organizations: The Telegram, Department of Justice

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

After seeing alot of lenient sentences recently, if he had to serve 14 months, he musta done somkehting bad.

BooHoo, easy to fix your problem Yetman, stop being a theif, fraud & petty lowlife.

• Frank J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Maybe this near death experience will scare him straight.

• Use Your Brain
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Concerned Citizen: We never hear the other side of the story from the Guards who had to deal with this criminal.

Uhh that should set off a few alarms dude, obviously the guards know that the accusations are true or they would be fighting back. Trust me, prison guards (or rent-a-cops as I call em, same as mall cops or MUNPO) are not the nicest or smartest people in the world, I mean, who would want the job of baby sitting politicians and wife beaters? What a depressing and unrewarding occupation. They take their rage out on the inmates, rage that comes from the unhappiness with their careers and lives in general.

• Donna
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

The point here is that public servants need to be ACCOUNTABLE regardless of whether they work with prisoners or anyone else. It is predictable though, that the self-proclaimed model citizens would show up with their simple minded 'if you can't do the time...' 'boo-hoo' and 'those bleeding hearts...' I suppose were lucky to have a lynch mob here with all this intimate knowledge of the penal system, they must have advanced degrees in criminology or law.

• CFA
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Good luck and stay healthy on the outside, Stephen. No one deserves to be treated as you were.

• Sailor
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

While I have no sympathy for this man's troubles with the law, neither can I condone the actions of the guard with him when he had the seizure. That guard should know that many epileptics have an aura or a sense that they are about to have a seizure. Also, unless this wasn't the first time something like this happened with this guard, I feel that he should have been given a suspension and warned that if something like this happened again, he would be fired.

What this criminal did affected not only his victims, but every working body on this island who are the ones paying for his room and board. Hopefully he will have been scared enough to go straight as a result of this incident and some good will have come of this incident.

• Doug
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Somehow I don't see old Jimmy Walsh getting the same sort of treatment. Like the other MHA crooks, he'll serve a couple of months at the resort in Bishop's Fall.

• Darrell
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

I have no time at all for people who invade other peoples privacy.
    break and enters to peoples homes, stealing from their property etc etc etc .
    I wonder how this criminals who do all these bad things would feel if the same thing was done to them.
    If they can not get what they want on their own the legal way then do without it.
    there is way to much drugs etc etc in our society today and it is time for the public to look after one another by reporting every suspicious thing they see .

As for this person, yes he should have gotten medical attention.
    As for the guards i think that they do a good job there and yes maybe a few of them may be harder on the inmates but i would not want their job for no amount of money.

• Ken
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Well done correctional officers make them think twice about wanting to go back to the clink.

• Taxpayer III
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

And once again, Taxpayer II makes his well-informed, well-reasoned contribution about yet another issue of which he is completely and utterly ignorant. But you have to admire his chutzpa for broadcasting it to one and all. Scumbag? Really? And to think he was crying about name-calling just yesterday. Pathetic. Really pathetic.

• gerry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

This is not one bit right what have happened here to Mr.Yetman. I guess if he was a MHA or something along those lines he would have been out in about 4 months or LESS. But i can bet money on it now, this young man wonth need to be a MHA when all of this is said and done. Once again our justice system have made another person rich!!!! Way to go there Correctional Officers. Or should i say way to go there fools. I really think it's time for our Justice Minster to kick in and do his job, and watch who he is hiring maybe? Our justice system is getting just as bad as our Health Care. If it's not the Health Care system in the News paper fooling up, it's the Justice System fooling up.

• Carter
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

The man has paid for his crimes,but that does not give the right to any man to beat him up or ignore that he was in hospital, and asked for help when he needed it. To leave was not the right thing to do. We in this part of the world live pretty good, we are not dogs,or should I say animals would have been treated very much differently. The court found found him guilty and he did the time. There is a girl in my province that was 13 years old that died in prison, because of the guards did the wrong thing, look at CBC for last nights newcast. It will be aired to night@ 10:30 NL time. Before we all critized the guily,look at the people that protect them then write something that would be good.

• Brian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Sure, beleive everything the ex con tells you. Theft and Fraud convictions certainly maye you a beleivable guy, a stand up citizen for sure. Get over yourself you bum. What did you think would happen in jail? Did you expect them to roll out the red carpet? You have no remorse for your actions, you are only bitter because you got caught and now you want to bring everyone else down with you. Well I don't buy it. I'll bet that the people you stole from don't like how they were treated either, why not talk about that. Once a theif always a theif.

• HuronBoy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

Well Ken, it's sure nice to see how narrow minded some folks can be. Buddies with the guards are ya? Maybe it's time you looked past the fact that someone is in the clink and look at how said person was being treated. The guard that was terminated was neglecting his duty. Period. In any other profession such a lapse would be dealt with in the same fashion. The other guards had absolutely no right to treat Mr. Yetman the way they did. Truth be told they should have faced disciplinary action as well. While you may be right in your implication that people need to be discouraged from going back to jail, this hardly seems the appropriate way to do it. All this is likely going to accomplish is handing the prison system in St. John's another black eye, and quite possibly giving Mr. Yetman some financial restitution. So Ken, ya really thinks this was a well done moment? I think not.

• Jenny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

It seems that there are a lot of people here who know Mr. Yetman and his motives well enough to pass judgement. And all this from reading one article. I hope he sues the bejeezus out of the Justice Department. It's the price we pay to hire and encourage incompetent guards.

• CONCERNED CITIZEN
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

This guy seems like a manipulator. He ends up in jail and blames it on everyone else. I bet it cost the taxpayers a fortune to rush him back and forth to hospital all the time. Does it say what he was in the pen for? No mention of that of course. This guy is a criminal and people should remember that. He's not an innocent person here and I bet he caused a lot of trouble while in the pen as well. We never hear the other side of the story from the Guards who had to deal with this criminal.

• justice
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I shake my head in astonishment at the comments from the lefty do gooders who feel this poor unfortunate man was treated so badly. The reality is, that this fella was in the iron bar hotel for criminal behaviour, hence he deserves no pity or mamby pambying. He needs to learn that a life of crime comes with consequences, suck it up and straighten out or expect a repeat engagement at the HM Penitentiary.

• CFA
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I'm sure the gard's side of the story was taken into account before he was terminated. These decisions aren't taken lightly.

• Justin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Every post here has failed to recognize what Yetman is trying to do. If anyone really believes that a convict would tell his story to the world about a jail experience and dafame his character further by going to the Telegram because he is trying to improve the conduct of inmate officers, then I have to say you must be delusional. This man has committed fraud and now wants to look for another easy way out in life through litigation against the department of justice. Guess what, I as a taxpayer paid for his lodging while he was in jail and may have to pay now to settle this legal dispute.

I really hope this goes to court and that the DOJ does not settle!

• Scott
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I really can't figure out what most of these comments are all about? First what I read in the article is that an Officer left Yetman alone which he was fired for. Sounds like a pretty serious punishment for the Guard but maybe justly deserved. I can only guess the Officers job was to ensure that Yetman did not escape. I am left to wonder if Mr. Yetman was admitted as just a regular patient would they have had a nurse posted at his bedside 24/7 uhhh likely not. His medical care I read was in the hands of the Hospital not the care of a Correctional Officer. There is also some doubt to Mr. yetmans story as what was his bad behaviour that he needed to continue with his now good behaviour to get privilages Im sure they are numerous. He is just another whinning thief that is looking for a payday that I hope he does not get.

• Sunshine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

After reading some of these comments ,I can't help but wonder what kind of society we have here in this province.What makes anyone think that their lives can't be turned upside down and this time next year any one of us could be in a similar situation?

• Gary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Well done there GUARDS!! You know it's pretty bad that every time we turn our heads now the justice system is in the news for SOME WRONG DOINGS!! I beth there is so much that goes on down there at that Penitentiary that never ever hits the air ways of the public. I agree with if a person does something wrong get put in jail for it. But let the person do his or her time in prison right. This man has very serious seizures by the sounds of it, the least the guards could of done is look after this mans health. God knows that they are getting payed enough down there to do it!!!!

• Kelly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

I don't have a lot of sympathy - you've defrauded and stole from people, and in doing so have taken away your victim's sense of security. I don't condone the guard's alleged actions, but try as I might, I cannot muster up one ounce of sympathy for you. I feel bad for your family for the years of anguish you must have put them through with your behaviour, but that's it. Prove that jail was so bad by changing your life and staying out of it.

• James
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

There is no excuse for this kind of alleged behaviour on the part of the guards.

• Jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Oh my Ken... You are right out to lunch by the sounds of it here. This man was just trying to do his time. This man must have a health problem, if he didn't he wouldn't of been in hospital from Sept,3 to Oct,31. This is what this right up in the paper is all about. This man is not saying nothing about not doing his time for the crime he had done. He is talking about what the guards down there is doing is wrong. We all are humans and we should be treated like humans at all times. And no, i'm NOT picking up for the people that breaks the law. I'm just telling the truth. Just like this young man is doing and should do. Tell it just like it is!!

• Jenna
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

We don't actually know what happened. It's his words against the guards and we haven't even heard the guards yet. The Telegram always does this, they print the sob story from the victim or the victims family but we only ever hear one side and then jump to judgement. Before we all stand up and say that the guards are wrong why don't we wait and see if they have anything to say. This guy could be making everything up, there is no doctor supporting his story about seizures this guy defrauded people to land himself in jail could it be that he is defrauding us once again?

• Watcher
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

• Citizen XIV
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

If you can't (or won't) do your job, you should be let go.

• Andrew
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

It's amazing we even have power hungry prison guards here in Newfoundland.

• Taxpayer ll
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Once a scumbag always a scumbag!

• Mark
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I have no sympathy for thugs that steal from me, then go to an institution that my tax dollars are paying for. You're in prison, the whole point is to endure some punishment for the crime you committed. Now that you are out, I hope you really do get your life on the right track.

• taxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

I think that people are very quick and ingorant to judge someone else who do they think they are to call other people names like scumbag always a scumbag. They must be refering to themselves.Do they think that they are perfect, i do not think that god put anyone here perfect.Lokk at yourself before judging someone when you do not know the whole story. All this man is talking about is that he was sick while serving his time , and was not treated right , nothin to do with not wanting to serve it.

• Gail 2
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I think the first Gail to post here is a Man, and not a very bright one.

• Calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

There are 2 ways to look at this, either this fool is telling the truth or he is not. The truth bit is a little harder to beilieve because he is a criminal. On the other hand an officer did get fired because of SOMETHING that happened while this guy was locked up. HMP officials would not confirm that the officer was fired over the incident reported here, only that he was fired. Maybe he beat the guy for being saucy, who knows. But why are all of you people so quick to believe this guy? He stole from someone, maybe not me or you, but someone. And I keep reading over and over public officials should be held accountable. An officer was fired over something that happened at HMP. If that is not being held accountable I dont know what is. I just know I dont believe a word this guy is saying. That is not to say that nothing happened to him in HMP, but for a criminal to say it was all the guards fault doesnt hold a lot of weight in my books.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I would venture to say that most of the animal and spouse abuse reports are also against those we place in a position of authority. Better screening of those that we entrust is needed to prevent this in the future. We have seen an increase in the numbers of police and correctional personel with very violet criminal charges. A quarterly mental evaluation is needed to remain active in either profession, and to return the trust of the public.

• Martin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I asked before and NOT ONE of the do the time crowd had the guts to reply:

Do your comments apply to harsh treatment/conditions suffered by WOMEN convicts???????????????????????

• Tired
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

BOOO HOOO HOOO

• jason
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Ken has a point. Would this guy think twice now before doing the same crime that landed him a 20 month sentence? I find it funny that we have criminals complaining about how they are treated? come on give me a break! Did they have any compassion or feels for the people they committed crimes against? I think they should bring back the days of hard labour for criminals. Now they complain because they cant watch TV or use the phone or the food is bad or the guards are not nice to me... well boo hoo.

• Anon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

It's simple. If you don't want to be treated like a convict/inmate then don't go to jail!

• Gail
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

well 395 all i got to say to you is YOUR NOT EVEN MAN ENOUGH TO GIVE OUT YOUR NAME WHEN YOU POST A COMMENT LIKE THIS, YOU MUST BE A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER THAT FOOLED UP YOURSELF I GUESS...... This poor man almost lost his life because of, once agian OUR PEOPLE IN POWER AS WELL CALL THEM. Shame on our justice system i would say. Now because of the POOR POOR people we got in control of our justice system. We yet got to pay out another LAWSUIT where there should be no need of it at all. Mr.Yetman all i got to say is you should of charged this Correctional Officer we so called him. What kind of people do we have at all working down there at that Penitentiary, makes me wondering!

• Chris
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I really don't know if this man was a inmate or a correctional Officer at HMP. Sometimes Mr.Yetman had control of the weapons, and some more times the Correctional Officer would have control of them. I don't think this young man is a very HARDY criminal at all. Anybody can fool up once, all we got to do is look at our MHA'S. By the sounds of it here this young man use to be left alone and just stay there and no go anywhere or touch none of the weapons that our so called Correctional Officer left there with the man. And i think this is very very poor on the justice system that they would not let this young man speak out while he was in prison. I guess they just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag kinda thing..... A correctional Officer gets fired because he wasn't doing his job and it don't even hit the news until this man get's out of prison. I wonder who covered this one up for the officer that got fired. Who knows maybe it was another MHA...........

July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Hopeful this negative experience will cause him to think twice before going out and robbing from people who have worked hard to get the money to buy their property. None of them down there are doing HARD TIME what a joke....three hots and a cot to sit on their hole...I love to see them all out on a Chain Gang cleaning up our community...being productive members of society for once in their lives... maybe fewer will return knowing that if they are cot they will have to go to WORK.... and it would take fewer tax payers dollar to run the prison system. It will never happen because of the bleeding hearts that make the rules.

• Ches M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

DEAR CONCERNED CITIZEN: Yet another person on here running there mouth and don't have a clue what they are talking about. You name would not be Mr.GUARD WOULD IT!!!

• Ken
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

M amd HuronBoy I guess they must have internet access in the clink. If your house is broken into, vehicle vandalized or a loved one is caught up in a store robbery will your hearts still bleed. I doubt it

• M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Don't be so ignorant Ken. This man could have died because the officer left him unattended and he had a seizure. He served his time.

• Jamie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Scott, we all knows that this man was in hospital. And by the way yes i'm pretty sure the guard was NOT allowed to leave, this young man was still in custody!! You should maybe understand something befor you makes a comment on somebody!!!! This young almost lost his life.

• Tsk Tsk
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

If the justice system was fair then I would have no trouble with mistreatment of inmates. But the people who beat their families and put others in danger reside behind the same wall with people who sell dried plants to make some cash on the side, so I can't agree with treatment like this. This world is very unfair, sometimes illegal things must be done to balance the books. Maybe this guy stole money from someone who deserved it, I know I've done it to shady employers who have undercut me in the past, I mean you guys have no idea right? So quick to judge, just like the messed up system that landed the guy in jail in the first place. And nothing is gonna change while brainless monkeys run the federal government. This world is messed up, big time..

• Jonny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Hey Doug,

Please explain yourself, I would like you to clarify what your point is?

Using peoples names, when you have no idea what they went through nor where they are is questionable, so before I reply to your point, I need to understand exactly that, your point!

• Kathleen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

If this young man had to serve 14 of a 20 month sentence for theft and fraud, why is it that our elected officials only serve 2 to 3 months for the same type of activite. Also, I bet what this young man is convicted of taking does not come near the hundreds of thousands of dollars the elite politicians had their slimy hands on! SHAME on our justice system and the judges allowing this to happen!

• Bill
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

I was going to say Mr.Yetman should be an MHA, but wait a minute here. Mr.Yetman done his crime and he done ALL OF HIS TIME!!!! What kind of people do we have in the world at all. They can't even carry out a little job by sitting by a hospital bed. All i got to say is this Officer that got fired here couldn't even sit by a hospital bed, so god help him now in trying to find a job. I bet Mr.Yetman can see the dollar signs in his eyes now, he will be laughing all the way to the bank at this one. Way to go there MR.OFFICERS!!!!!!

• Politically Incorrect
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Yeah, Ken, if someone breaks into my vehicle I want to see him / her die. Let me guess: to you evolution is just something that happens to other people.

• Funky
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

At least bleeding hearts have hearts...and intelligence...and compassion...and thoughts...and sense..and understanding...and literacy skills.

• W
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Frank J
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

Maybe this near death experience will scare him straight.

• Use Your Brain
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Donna
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• CFA
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Sailor
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Doug
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Darrell
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

I have no time at all for people who invade other peoples privacy.
    break and enters to peoples homes, stealing from their property etc etc etc .

As for this person, yes he should have gotten medical attention.

• Ken

• justice
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

• CFA
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

• Justin
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

I really hope this goes to court and that the DOJ does not settle!

• Scott

• Jim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Jenna
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Watcher
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

• Citizen XIV
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

If you can't (or won't) do your job, you should be let go.

• Andrew
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

It's amazing we even have power hungry prison guards here in Newfoundland.

• Taxpayer ll
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

Once a scumbag always a scumbag!

• Mark
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• taxpayer
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

• Gail 2
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

I think the first Gail to post here is a Man, and not a very bright one.

• Calvin

July 01, 2010 - 19:53

• Tsk Tsk
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• Jonny
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

Hey Doug,

Please explain yourself, I would like you to clarify what your point is?

• Kathleen