A willing sacrifice

Terry Roberts

Davis says he will end policing career if he wins Topsail district byelection

Paul Davis says he is willing to sever all ties with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary in order to start a new career as a provincial politician.

Davis, a police constable, has announced he will seek the nomination for the governing Tories in an upcoming byelection in the district of Topsail.

Paul Davis

The seat was vacated recently after longtime MHA Elizabeth Marshall was named to the Senate by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

A byelection is likely sometime this spring.

Under the RNC Act, police officers are not permitted to engage in political activity, "except as the regulations permit."

Those regulations state Davis must take a leave of absence without pay once a nomination date is set, and can reapply for his position if he is unsuccessful in the nomination process. This is not considered a break in service, but he would not accumulate seniority during the leave of absence.

"His position would quite simply be put on hold," RNC Chief Joe Browne explained.

But if he wins the election and is declared the new MHA for Topsail, Davis will have to resign and end his 25-year policing career, Browne added.

"I fully intend to follow the requirements of the legislation," Davis wrote in an e-mail to The Telegram this week.

It's the same regulations that apply to any provincial government employee in a category known as politically non-restrictive. These are primarily employees in a bargaining unit.

Management employees such as Browne are placed in a category called politically restrictive, and must resign in order to engage in any form of political activity.

It's an issue that arises in many provincial and federal elections, but usually gains more attention when the prospective candidate is a high profile government employee. Education Minister Darin King faced similar scrutiny during the 2007 election. Prior to entering politics, he was the director of education for the Eastern School District.

Davis is the former media relations officer with the RNC, a position which often put him in the media spotlight. He was recently reassigned, and was out of the province this week.

Davis is also the deputy mayor in the Town of Conception Bay South, but the regulations only apply to provincial and federal politics.

Chief Browne would like to see the regulations broadened to also include municipal politics. He has concerns with the idea of police officers serving on municipal councils, especially in municipalities served by the RNC.

He said there hasn't been any problems to date, but worries about a perceived conflict of interest.

"I think the potential is there for problems," he said, adding that Davis is not permitted to engage in debates at council on matters relating to policing.

Meanwhile, Davis is one of several people who have publicly stated their intentions to try to replace Marshall as the MHA in the district. Marshall won handily in the 2007 provincial election, and it's widely believed whoever wins the Tory nomination will likely find themselves in the House of Assembly.

During the 1999 provincial election, another former RNC media relations officer, Paula Buckle, actually quit her job in order to run for the Liberals in the district of Waterford Valley.

She lost the election to Tory Harvey Hodder, and was reinstated as a police officer under a clause in the Act that states an officer has 30 days to withdraw a resignation without loss of seniority.

Kelvin Parsons, Opposition House Leader and justice critic, said the rules are clearly defined.

"I am certain Mr. Davis has reviewed these policies and discussed this with the chief of police and will abide by the requirements as set out in the legislation," Parsons stated.

troberts@thetelegram.com

Organizations: RNC, MHA for Topsail, Tory Opposition House Leader

Geographic location: Waterford Valley

Comments

Comments

• Sandy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

WOW! I can't believe I just read all those comments, and will likely regret posting this one, as it would appear that the majority of the people who post here have the IQ of a stop sign.
    i wish the best of luck to Davis, I don't reside in the Topsail district but he would otherwise have my vote. He would be a refreshing addtition to the house.

• Ernie the other half
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Bert you said---------You are kissing Danny's behind ,ooops I mean Dictator Danny's behind , then you said we state facts -------- which is factual ----Danny's behind or Dictator Danny's behind?

• Cyril
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

not sure about this writes: ... I am still unsure as to why he is in the media so much...

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it may be due to the fact that he is in charge of Media Relations..???

Why is he in charge of Media Relations? Would be an intelligent question. The answer: Because he is articulate, well spoken, well read and represents his causes with a very high degree of professionalism and intelligence.

The Topsail district will be well served should Paul Davis be successful.

• Robert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

25 years and still a constable - hmmmm. Let's hope that Mr. Davis has more to bring to the table than what's showing - those are big shoes that he's trying to fill.

• up4discussion
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Good luck Paul! Winning Police Officer of the Year a few years ago shows your professionalsim!

• Robert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Bert, I can't beleive that you have to go so far back in the history books to find an exapmle of a Danny Williams accomplishment.
    The 2.2 billion offset to the Accord could have been gained by any politician at the time - and almost any of those prior to Williams. Of course, you have to offset that gain by the losses that have racked up since Williams started the feud with the Feds - remember the ''shaft''? As for the AG, well, his right hand man was one of the convicted fraudster. I think that anyone with political sense would have brought in the AG to distance themselves from that mess.
    Williams used to hold a lot of promise to become the type of leader that NL needed. He's proved that was false hpe, aynd lately, he seems as desperate as Joey was in the final days of his government to hold on to power. He;s burned too many bridges, and the best thing that he could do for the province is to fade away into the sunset.

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

Ah, so nice to see that Bert has had a generous helping of his Tory Kool-Aid to kick start the day. In true Tory fashion, degrade, belittle and insult anyone who has an opinion contary to the Tory blind faith. Why can't you just see that Phoebe and many others have discovered flaws and false Tory promises. We have minds of our own, we express our opinions and think for ourselves. Too bad those character traits are shunned upon by today's brand of Tories.

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Yea Ernie you must be overly smart!! Anyone who thinks that adding Dictator Danny, Danny God and Danny got you kissing his arse is positive needs to give their head a shake. Here's a list of positives maybe you can debate these with your own positive rebuttles!
    1. 2.2Billion added to our coffers.
    2. Cleaning up the spending scandel.
    3. Purchasing ownership in our offshore oil.
    4, Giving the teachers back their pension funds.
    Enough of positive things I could go on but lets see your lists, Of course I am not interested in Dictator Danny or kissing Danny's arse. These postivies has already been used by your side enough.

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Phoebe,GET OVER YOUR PETTINESS GIRL YOUR WAY OUTNUMBERED. Danny must have hurt you bad. Did you apply for a position that you were not qualified for such as seeing how this province has come along with the P.C. govt versus the Liberal govt. Maybe its how Danny put a stop to the cash cow that was being used by several politicans that the liberals never had the intestional fortitude to change. Wjhatever it is girl get over it , its making you look downright STUPID.

• Kent
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Nothing personal towards Davis but why is it that people who get a ltitle media exposure suddenly think they are equipped to run things?

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

No more than the teachers, such as Peckford and Tobin

• graham
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Shows how dedicated he is to the police force .Maybe if he had to give up his pension what would his thoughts about life be politicial

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

oh Bert! man you are deep! profound statements once again; geez, did you think of them all by yourself? or, was it quoted from a prepared speech? Get your head out of wherever it's stuck and see what's going on around you!

• g-man
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

i agree with KENT M,everyone thinks there a movie star once the cameras roll.i saw this story before.it seems everytime a cop gets media training,ie.press anouncments.they(cops) think there polititions.becarful what you wish for.ill bet we will hear from some of mr davis tailgaters.media training(press releases)seems to be the ticket to politics these days.

• Brian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Okay children - play nicely. Jeez you all sound like a bunch of children.

There are, and always will be, naysayers. Not everyone has a hidden agenda. I realize the recent spending scandal will be a blight on politicians in general, but for once, can't we give someone the benefit of the doubt?

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

note to Bert and his cult...while we're on the topic of dollars and governments: Have you ever heard of:
    1. minority government in Ottawa and how that affects monetary negotiations
    2. global oil prices and its impact on the overall economy
    3. Alberta turnaround money and how it impacts NL in respect to an increase in personal wealth and a decrease in unemployment rates.
    These are the 3 most significant factors of an improved bottom line in our provincial coffers. It has little or nothing to do with the good or bad decisions of our current governing body nor the previous administration. No credit nor blame to the Tories or the Liberals. The current regime has simply been the benifactor of good timing more than brilliance. And, I won't bore you debating all of the business closures and corparate downsizing that has take place on Danny's watch; nor, the ever increasing Federal cutbacks due to lack of rapport and communication with Ottawa. Get with it Bert and look at the big picture and snap back to reality.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Sandy from St John's, NL wrote: He would be a refreshing addtition to the house.
    Sandy, what house are you referriing to.....your own or the one in the Confederation Building? If the latter, then the reference should be capitalized (i.e. the House).
    lol.....Ok, I knew what you meant, but I love double entendres and that one was too good to pass up. Cheers!

• Phoebe Tilley
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Another one trying to get elected on Dannys coat tails. Stick with the job you now have Mr Davis your good at it. Politics these days seems to be for crooks especially in the Williams government. Leave your honesty and transparency at home Mr Davis because its not allowed in this government even though it was promised.

• Kurt
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Good time to get out with all the racket going on at Fort Townsend these days. Maybe he knows which way the wind is blowing. I'll be paying attention to this.

• Lee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Way to go; you'll do great !

• Taxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Right on , Bert. You burned those Danny haters good. They're just tired of being left in the dust. I'll be voting for you Mr. Davis. Nevermind the %20ers.

• Bob
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

If Paul Davis is elected he'll have to change his lingo from it's under investigation to something like we're studying that , or we're looking at it etc. Whatever the question police PR guys or polititians don't give an answer. Check the record.

I have a problem with polititians switching venues that cause by-elections. In Senator Marshall's case the Federal Government should pay the cost.
    Already we have Davis from CBS and Quilty aned English from Paradise ready to jump ship. Who's left with the tab here? Personally I think it should be the people who switch, win or lose.

• Frank
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Congratulations Constable Davis, you have served us well over the years in the RNC. I will always have the greatest of respect for you as a former policemen, but not as a member of Premier Danny Williams team.

Good Luck my friend

• Holly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I have never read such negativity in my life. If ANYONE was running in this byelection you'd just call him a suck up to Danny because it seems its your only sense of entertainment! Personally I think Const. Davis has an excellent chance of winning this seat. He is an excellent public speaker, is well known in the community and has had a lengthly career working in the public sector...helping people (like YOU) for the better good! If he wants to take a jab at politics who the hell are we to judge? I do not live in the district but he would certainly have my vote if I did. I know so many people who look up to him and have heard nothing but good things about him. He has the reputation of being an excellent Cop so I think that its a great choice for him to take these skills and experience and bring it to politics. Give'er!

• William
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

You got my vote

• Off the Cuff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I think the third man in Mr. Lane said it best in an article this weekend, he admitted to jumping on Danny's sleigh indicating the biggest hurdle will be getting nominated, that shows promise, I guess another to tow the party line and support the ABC.
    Bert any Premier can look good when they are working with dollars brought forward from deals by previous government and your job is to spend the dollars.

• Michael
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I have nothing negative to say about the distinguished gentleman Mr. Davis. My ancestors taught me the philosophy of ...if you can not do anything good for someone, DO NOTHING AT ALL! That philosophy as treated me fair all my life in my sociable dealings. However, perhaps there is a group or party interested in backing me to run as his opponent in the upcoming by-election.

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Off the Cuff, golly you may be correct, However I don't understand and maybe you can explain to me and the rest of the bloggers how 1. The prior govt. moneies allowed Danny to do the ethical thing and clean up the money scandels by allowing the AG access to the books!!! 2. how did the previous govt. money allow Danny to try and succeed in getting 2.2 Billion from Ottawa?

• Gordon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

What is a Willing Sacrifice ?

• Common Sense Guy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Let me see if I got this straight: leave one job to take another at one and a half times the pay, secure a second pension in just six years.
    Yup, sounds like the ultimate sacrafice to me.

• Off the Cuff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Bert he collected on a clause in the agreement put there by the opposition, yes he did get the money and took advantage of the clause. However the opposite to the list you supplied, we lost the new pen, the airfield in goose, lost the fishery, lost the ship building contract in marystown, and i can go on there are both sides to the fence and we must see both sides. Mr. williams soon will not have a friend to speak to outside the island supporters.

• VOTER
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

If this is the same Paul Davis(?), his father was the Queen's Printer at one time. Only a matter of fate that he should want to draft legislation instead of just printing it..... father son rivalry perhaps?

There is along way to go yet, though, first the party nomination, then the by-election, then Danny!!

P.S.: As far as election rules in this district go, Kelvin, did ANYBODY (including the media) read the MEA [65(2)] in the Paradise Election ??

• Stephen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Good luck Paul; hope it goes your way.

• Robert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I would be embarassed to post a comment here without knowing some facts, especially when you're referencing an individual. I've always made a point to know the canidates in my district, and from what I can gather, Paul Davis is second to none!
    He has been responsible for raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for cancer research through his role with Ride for Dad .
    He serves on the executive of the RNC association, is deputy mayor of one of the larger municipalities in the province, and the list goes on.
    Mr Davis, you have my vote! I believe you're entering the world of provincial politics for the right reasons and you have the credentials to back it up.

• Gordon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

How do police officers measure -up in the public eye these days ?I think firefighters are still number one on the list .Now I do know how politicians are viewed --------- why would anyone want to aspire to being seen as less??

• Heather
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Holly ,your language is very descriptive ,you managed to use the words suck up ,hell,Cop----- very informal name for police officer , jab and Giver'er,all in a short paragraph . I do hope Davis is not using you as a speech writer.

• Not sure about this..
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

I have to be honest, Mr. Davis seems like a very nice individual, but I really can't see myself voting for him... The man was just elected for a 4 year term, and is jumping ship already. I am still unsure as to why he is in the media so much... its going to be an interesting nomination none the less, especially if Mr. Coombs decides to run for the PC nomination... coombs is a very 'fiesty' invidividual to say the least and it would be interesting to see what he brings to provincial politics - especially when people can't criticize his experience with the support staff he will have by his side in the PC government. I guess I will stop rambling and get back to work...

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Member of the 20% who may soon be a member of the 15% way to go. Apparently you must be new to this stuff. Because if you were not new you would know by now that the opposite of degrading by the Tory faithful is true. Whenever we state facts, the only rebuttal we get is. You are kissing Danny's behind, ooops I mean Dictator Danny's behind. We state facts the 20% state garbage. Nuff said!!

• Graham
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Bert is it at all possible for you to make any comment on here about anything that dosent somehow get you showing your Danny worship yet again. Get a liofe bye.

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Good luck, Paul. I am unable to vote for you now as I live in AB but If I was still living in CBS, you would have my vote! I think you would make a great MHA!

• Brian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Kent M - for your information, so you can make an informed opinion, Paul Davis has been a counillor in CBS for a number of years, and currently serves as deputy mayor. I would suggest that if you polled CBS residents, the majority would probably say that Paul is a very effective councillor and DM, and always conducts himself in a very professional manner.

He is definitely not going into this as a rookie politician, and I, for one, would back him wholeheartedly in his desire to become MHA for Topsail district.

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Off the Cuff, what a bunch of Boloney that this was a clause in the old agreement. Nothing could be furthur from the truth, It was new and the Liberals will try to take credit because they don't seem to have any other thing to grab a hold off. Before you start making these claims first you should read the news ol' man!!! Again in regards to the new pen this was a federal penitentary and turned down by the federal govt. Also fixed wing Goose Bay is also federal and promised to us by the federal govt, another broken promise. Off the Cuff you got to realize that we have 3 forms of govt , Municpal, provincial and Federal. That will be a good starting point for you. Then you will be more able to debate Federal and provincial issues much more articually. Excuse my spelling.

• Ernie the other half
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Hey Bert , you are all over the place man but you never have anything positive to add .

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Wow...seems like Davis is a lot more pro-active than fellow RNC officer and new mayor of Corner Brook, Neville Greeley. Discussing his intentions BEFORE people vote?! Wow.

Soon after winning last Fall's municipal vote, Mayor Greeley said he plans to retire from the RNC this coming summer ... and simulataneously announced to Corner Brook citizens that he wants his new mayor's job to be full-time and the salary increased.

You can guess what tremendously creative nickname Mr. Greeley now has.

Public service.

• Sandy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Ernie the other half
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Cyril
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

The Topsail district will be well served should Paul Davis be successful.

• Robert
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• up4discussion
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

• Robert
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

• member of the 20%
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• Bert
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

1. 2.2Billion added to our coffers.
    2. Cleaning up the spending scandel.
    3. Purchasing ownership in our offshore oil.
    4, Giving the teachers back their pension funds.

• Bert

• member of the 20%
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• g-man
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Brian
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

Okay children - play nicely. Jeez you all sound like a bunch of children.

• member of the 20%
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

1. minority government in Ottawa and how that affects monetary negotiations
    2. global oil prices and its impact on the overall economy

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Phoebe Tilley
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• Kurt
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

• Lee
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

Way to go; you'll do great !

• Taxpayer

• Michael
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• Bert
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• Gordon
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

What is a Willing Sacrifice ?

• Common Sense Guy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

Yup, sounds like the ultimate sacrafice to me.

• Off the Cuff
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• VOTER
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

• Stephen
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

Good luck Paul; hope it goes your way.

• Robert

• Bert
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

• Ernie the other half
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

You can guess what tremendously creative nickname Mr. Greeley now has.

Public service.