'Why would someone do this?'

Rosie
Rosie Mullaley

Bad week turns worse for St. John's man whose property was hit by vandals

Brian Walsh's current situation can be summed up in six words.

"I'm not having a good week," he said.

It started Monday when Walsh's summer home was destroyed by fire in Chapel's Cove as a result of a brushfire.

"That was all bad enough," said Walsh, whose house was pictured on the front page of Tuesday's edition of The Telegram.

Brian Walsh of St. John's found his pickup truck and camper trailer vandalized Thursday. Earlier in the week his house in Chapel's Cove was destroyed in a brushfire. - Photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram

Brian Walsh's current situation can be summed up in six words.

"I'm not having a good week," he said.

"I had a hard enough week as it was."

But then, on Thursday, Walsh was again upset when he discovered more of his property had been damaged - this time by vandals.

His pickup truck and camper trailer - which were parked in an off-road area on Southside Road in St. John's during the off-season - were both covered with graffiti.

The trailer's side window was also smashed out, while a pair of large wire cutters, which he suspects were used to break the glass, were left nearby on the ground.

"When I came over (Thursday) morning and saw all the graffiti, I couldn't believe it," Walsh said.

"Why would someone do this?"

But it didn't end there.

When Walsh drove down the road to his warehouse, which he uses for storage, he saw that it, too, was covered with graffiti.

"To be hit twice in one week like this ... I certainly hate to think someone's got it out for me," he said.

"I'm hoping it's just a few kids doing this ... I'd say it was a young crowd and they found out I owned that truck. It must've happened late (Monday) night."

Walsh said he already had to paint his warehouse once before to cover graffiti.

"It's getting carried away now," said Walsh, who was at the scene on Southside Road Thursday, shaking his head as he looked over the damage.

The vandals also sprayed graffiti on the side of a house, located across the street from where Walsh's truck and camper were parked.

"I didn't notice that until you (the media) showed up," he said.

Members of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary were also there Thursday afternoon, scoping out the area. An officer from the forensic unit discovered what appeared to be a can of spray paint on the side of the house.

Police are continuing to investigate and are asking anyone with further information about the incident to call the RNC.

But whether or not they find who's responsible, Walsh said he plans to change the way he does things.

"I'm definitely going to be more observant," he said. "And maybe I'll hire some security."

Walsh hopes this week ends soon.

"I certainly hope nothing else happens," he said. "God knows it can't get any worse."

rgillingham@thetelegram.com

Organizations: The Telegram

Geographic location: St. John's, Southside Road

Comments

Comments

• Kevin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

There is only one explanation for people who do this sort of useless damage.

They are a bunch of low life, useless, scumbags.

• City
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Mr. Walsh has been squatting on this piece of land of Southside Road for years hoping to claim it as his own. Maybe the rightful owners of this property have had enough.

• Geoff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

To Donny Dooley: You may have a valid point, but there are much better ways to handle a situation like this. Do you think it looks any better now? I think that people with your mentality are just the type of people who are capable of doing something like this!

• Another Victim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I have to say that I feel for you. I had my 4 tires slashed and bonnett gouged with a knife last Thursday night. At least the RNC came out to investigate your vandalism. When I called to report the vandalism to my vehicle, the Constable told me that you have to expect that when kids are out of school for holidays. They never even came out to take a statement or look at the damage. They just gave me my file # to give to my insurance company. Lucky I had full coverage, but I still have to pay a deductable...not to mention having to take time off from work. And even if they are caught, what will happen to them...NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they find the people who done this to you and you at least get some retabution for what was done to your property. Good Luck

• Donny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

I don't know who did it but who would want a 25 year old rusty old camper and pickup truck parked on their street all winter? Imagine, leaving your house every morning and having to look at 2 pieces of junk rusting away surrounded by scrap metal and plastic tubing.

• W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

It's time for the law to change for crimes like this. There is no justification for these crimes. It isn't like someone stole food or clothes because they were hungry or cold or stole to satisfy an addicition. These vandalism crimes are crimes that destroy other peoples property that the vicitm has worked hard for. If we make mandatory jail time for these senselss crimes it will change the culture and perception and eventually reduce or elimiante these occurances. We need to stop chalking it up to bored kids etc...

• Donny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

People in Toronto don't bother clean off or paint over graffitti any more. It's losing battle against these punks. You may as well leave it there.

• Kevin
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

There is only one explanation for people who do this sort of useless damage.

They are a bunch of low life, useless, scumbags.

• City