Manning eyeing run for old job

Rob Antle

Senator may again seek election as MP

Conservative Senator Fabian Manning is strongly hinting at a run for his old seat in the House of Commons.

"I am giving consideration to stepping down to run as a member of Parliament again in the Avalon riding," Manning said in an interview at his Parliament Hill office.

"I haven't totally decided on that yet. I'm getting a fair amount of inquiries and support from people. I'll make the decision when the time comes. It's like the song that George Jones had - I have choices, and I'll make the choices when the time is right."

Senator Fabian Manning is pictured in the Red Chamber Thursday. Manning is eyeing a possible bid to return to the House of Commons whenever the next federal election is called. - Photo by Rob Antle/The Telegram

Ottawa -

Manning had a long and sometimes tumultuous career in the provincial House of Assembly. He was ultimately turfed from the Tory caucus by Premier Danny Williams in a dispute over crab quotas.

In 2006, Manning jumped to federal politics, taking an upset victory in Avalon.

But two years later, Liberal Scott Andrews defeated Manning, aided by the premier's "ABC" campaign that shut out the Harper Conservatives in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The prime minister appointed Manning to the Senate soon after his election defeat.

Manning stressed Thursday that he has not made a final decision about whether to resign from the Senate to run again for MP.

But he has mapped out what he considers a path to victory in his former riding.

Manning knows the exact number of voters - 4,204 - who didn't show up in 2008 after voting for him two years earlier.

A couple of thousand others instead cast ballots for the New Democrats or Green Party in what he considers a protest vote.

Meanwhile, the Liberal vote only grew by several hundred.

"A lot of people stayed home," Manning said.

"There's still an opportunity there for our party in that riding."

He said he hears grumbling when he travels throughout the Avalon riding as part of his Senate duties.

"I hear the message - there's a lot of people who are really not satisfied with the representation they may be receiving," Manning said.

He insisted he has nothing against Andrews, who bested him in 2008. But Manning said being in opposition is a difficult position, and the province needs representation on the government side of the House of Commons.

"I miss elected politics, to be honest with you," Manning said. "The Senate is a great privilege, a great honour. It's extremely busy - I punch a lot of hours here, and a lot of that may be because we don't have a member of Parliament on the government side from Newfoundland."

He says he will consult with family members and those close to him before deciding whether to make the leap.

"Of all the jobs or all the positions I have had since I got involved in elected politics almost 20 years ago I have to say without a shadow of a doubt that the greatest opportunity I ever had was being a member for the riding of Avalon," Manning said.

rantle@thetelegram.com

Organizations: House of Commons, Tory, Harper Conservatives Green Party

Geographic location: Avalon, Ottawa, Newfoundland and Labrador Parliament Hill

Comments

Comments

• Manny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

To Much! After voting against NL in the HOC and with a smirk on his face. Unbelievable. Stay where you can do less damage to your people.

• Brad
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Well there must be a catch. Why would you give up a plum position with a work at your own pace requirement unless there is benefit.

Seems like either he is not too bright or he is miliking the system - either way I hope people do not support this.

• Avalon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Great to hear. If Fabian ever does decide to run in the Avalon riding again, he has my vote.

• Jerome
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Maybe he can get a ''leave of absence'' from the senate. That way, he won't be risking anything by running in a federal election

• Rhonda
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Fabian Manning, you cheated the people of NL many times as an MP. You stood up and turned your back on the people of this province. Now you expect us to fall for this trick? Harper is doing his best to keep you in the lime light in order to win back his seat, and I hope the folks in Avalon don't fall for it.

I have never ever been a fan of yours politically, but I hope even you aren't stupid enough to give up a senate seat in order to try to prove that you're capable of winning back a seat that you've already lost due to your weaselly ways.

• John Smith
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Yes, remember when Harper put his little lap dog next to him in the House, and he stood to applaud as the leader of our country once again made a decision that hurt our province. This guy is an embarrassment to all newfoundlanders and Labradorians.

• Citizen Corn
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

Yuck!

• Troy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

No. No. No. How can this happen? How is it that you can lose your job in politics but never REALLY lose your job. Mr. Manning is bouncing around from one well paid position to another like he's playing bumper pool... and taxpayers are paying for him to play.

• Taxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Can you be appointed to the Senate twice. That's Steve for you, always breaking new ground.

• jack
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

God let him run what a good chance to get him off the dole and back on EI

• Maurice E.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Look --- it is obvious that Mr. Manning's appointment to the Senate and Harper's efforts to keep Mr. Manning in the public eye through announcements over and over again of federal projects in the Province, has, from the very beginning been designed to keep Mr. Manning in the public eye so that he could again run in the riding of Avalon. Mr. Manning is fooling no one to suggest that he is only now considering running again. It is another example of the Conservative government unethically using Mr. manning's Senate position for partisan political purposes --- and Mr. Manning, in my opinion, is party to it.

• Huh??!!
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I do not understand him even considering a return to elected politics.

Senators are not expected to do much, they do not seek re-election, the money is good as is the travel.

Harper wants to limit Senate terms to 8 years, but that change has not occurred yet and does not apply currently..

So, being a Senator is the second best job in Ottawa next to being the Governor General.

Why even consider moving away from that????

• Pleasant Pat
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Senator Manning is such a nice man.

• derm
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

No big deal. If he runs and loses (which he probably will) Harper can still keep him on as mailboy delivering the goodies back to nl. After all ,that appears to be the extent to which he is capable. l agree with others who figure it was a set-up by Harper-if you don't get elected,go to the senate until next election and try again when the ABC campaign is no longer an issue.

• James II
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

It won't happen. Not withstanding his public musings, we all know that Manning has absolutely no intention of abandoning that plush little rabbit hole he crawled into. Like Hearn, he chose to side with the bully at a time when his province most needed defending. Unlike Hearn whose thirty pieces of silver ran out quickly, Manning will continue to enjoy the rewards of treachery for the next 35 years. In fairness, I suspect the vast majority of politicians of all stripes and at all levels would make the same selfish choice. It is in their nature. Whether you like his style or not, that is one the attributes I find most compelling about Williams - I know he's not in it for the bucks.

• Tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I remember when we had representation in the house on the governing, and our representative stood up and voted against Newfoundland and Labrador. Yeah that memory is still pretty fresh in my mind. Try and run. I dare you. I will do everything in my power to campaign against you. You voted against the people of NL and now you want us to support you. No way.

• homeplate
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Give us a break. Your tucked away in a nice little spot. Stay there.

• Wince
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

All this talk of how he voted against NL. Give it time and eventually little Scotty Andrews will pull the same stunt to protect his Ottawa interests. Same for Siobahn.

Give 'em enough time and you'll see they are all tarred with the same brush.

• Political Watcher
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Great news, I am not much of a Tory suppoter but Mr. Manning has done great work for his constituents. He continues to do so to this very day. He only lost the last time because of ABC: this time round I am confident that he will win his seat and with a large majority. The riding is soooo under represented now it isn't funny.

• Jordan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

How stupid would you have to be to give up a job in the Senate. Harper obviously doesn't want him in Cabinet either or he'd be there now, so just what we need a lousy Minister representing us just because he was the only Conservative elected.

None of this matters anyways because unless Harper gets the ever impossible majority government he so desires the Liberals will be finally running the country once again.

• Burnt
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Man, you couldn't even fry bacon without burning your kitchen out. Stick with what you know.........nothing.....stay in the senate.

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Mr. Manning will run. I know this for a fact. It's a deal he made with Haper, contingent on his being offered the Senate position.

• Jay
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Nice. Whats with these Conservatives? All they do is move from one teat to another. I am fit up with their sense of entitlement. Can't get a buddy elected ?Then put him in senate until you can get him elected. Will he be reappointed to senate if he succeeds and then loses his HoC seat? Probably, there are no standards in play here.

These supposi-tories are the worst government we have ever had, grossly exceeding any Liberal or PROGRSSSIVE Conservative government before them. Our country will be left bankrupt and our population divided among many lines. Harper has failed to hold this country together and instead has exploited the things that could break up our country.

• Frank M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

It is no secret the federal Conservatives believe they have a chance at 2 seats in Newfoundland - St. John's South-Mount Pearl and Avalon.

This is provided there is peace between Harper and Danny Williams.

It must truly gall diehard Liberals that Siobhan Coady and Scott Andrews owe their careers amd continue to praise a man who should be their political opponent.

Politics does make strange bedfellows.

In this case, it shows a lack of character on the part of Coady and Andrews.

• What's Going On
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

All this talk about voting against NL had me a bit confused, wasn't sure if people were talking about Manning, or Gerry Byrne or John Efford, or ...

• Rusty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

I'd vote for Fabian in a flash. Our current MP is a real dud in my opinion. The sooner that Andrews is out the better.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Is that not a step backwards? Most accept and enter the senate as a final posting, not a stop over point due to a defeat. Unless Fabbie is collecting pension points in as many positions as he can. Pretty soon he will be worth more once retired then he is while working. Thats a sad thing really.

• Manny

July 01, 2010 - 20:10

God let him run what a good chance to get him off the dole and back on EI

• Maurice E.
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• Huh??!!
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

I do not understand him even considering a return to elected politics.

Why even consider moving away from that????

• Pleasant Pat
    July 01, 2010 - 20:01

Senator Manning is such a nice man.

• derm
    July 01, 2010 - 20:01

• James II
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• Tom
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• homeplate
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

Give us a break. Your tucked away in a nice little spot. Stay there.

• Wince
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

Give 'em enough time and you'll see they are all tarred with the same brush.

• Political Watcher
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• Jordan
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• Burnt
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• George
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

• Jay
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

• Frank M
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

This is provided there is peace between Harper and Danny Williams.

Politics does make strange bedfellows.

In this case, it shows a lack of character on the part of Coady and Andrews.

• What's Going On