The RCMP has arrested the alleged victim of a shooting in Southern Bay, Bonavista Bay, on charges that include public mischief and firearms-related charges.
The 39-year-old man reported to the RCMP on July 2 that he had been the target of shots being fired, an incident that caused public concern throughout the area.
The RCMP says their investigation indicates the man had made up the entire incident.
The RCMP also says a firearm was unsafely used in the circumstances of the complaint by the accused.
RCMP Sgt. Boyd Merrill said things weren't adding up in the investigation from the information officers received from the man.
"The information that we received wasn't making sense," Merrill said. "He had a number of holes in his clothing and so on, and it just didn't jibe with what he was saying happened to him from a distance. Everything looked to be more close-range, and there was no serious injury to him. We made sure that we did a thorough investigation."
He is scheduled to appear in provincial court in Bonavista today.
RCMP members from the Bonavista and Clarenville detachments, the RCMP major crime unit, police dog service and the local ground search and rescue team were involved in the investigation.