Sentence appeal delayed for man convicted in N.B. of abusing boys

The Canadian Press
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

An appeal hearing has been delayed for a former city councillor in Saint John, N.B., convicted of sexually abusing boys in that city and in Newfoundland, where he originally is from.

Former Saint John, N.B., councillor Donnie Snook is led down Chipman Hill by RCMP officers to provincial court. — File photo by Cindy Wilson/Telegraph-Journal

Donnie Snook was sentenced last September to 18 years in prison after pleading guilty to 46 charges, including sexual assault and possessing, distributing and making child pornography over a 12-year period.

His appeal was expected to be heard Monday in Fredericton, but the Appeal Court says the matter will be rescheduled for September at the earliest.

In filing his appeal last year, Snook said his sentence was unreasonable and in excess of the appropriate range.

The crimes involved 17 boys between the ages of five and 15 at the time of the offences.

Snook was arrested by the RCMP after an investigation that began in 2011.

Snook pleaded guilty in November last year to two counts each of sexual assault and sexual interference in Newfoundland.

Police said the offences occurred between Dec. 1, 1995, and August 1996 at or near Mount Moriah, N.L., and at or near Barachois Pond Provincial Park while Snook was working with the Salvation Army.

The Crown withdrew one count of sexual interference after a review of the case determined the victim was 15 at the time of the offence. The age of consent at that time was 14.

Snook pleaded guilty to the charges after they were transferred to New Brunswick provincial court from Newfoundland.

In December, 2013, three months in jail was added to his 18-year-sentence for the separate child sex offences in western Newfoundland.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Fredericton

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Nfldmojo
    June 24, 2014 - 12:44

    I'm glad to see his sentence was 18 years. Finally, the courts are starting to see the true damage that sexual abuse has on its victims.