A brief recap of the highlights from Prince William and Kate's royal tour

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Prince William and his wife Kate spent nine days in Canada on their first official tour as newlyweds. Here are some of the highlights from their visit.

June 30: Thousands of Canadians gathered to greet the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as they arrived in Ottawa. Crowds cheered the couple at every turn, whether they were laying a wreath at Memorial Square, exchanging handshakes with fans, or being formally welcomed to the country at Government House. The newlyweds later mingled with youth at a reception on the grounds of Rideau Hall.

July 1: William and Kate's carriage ride to Parliament Hill took place among a crowd decked in red and white that was eager to celebrate Canada Day in the presence of the royal couple. Kate donned Canadian colours — notably a brilliant red Maple Leaf fascinator — for the occasion. William addressed the crowd, offering praise for the soldiers who had fought the war in Afghanistan. The couple attended a citizenship ceremony for new Canadians at the Canadian Museum of Civilization and returned to Parliament Hill in the evening for a Canada Day concert.

July 2: William and Kate opened the day with a ceremonial tree planting outside Rideau Hall before moving on to the Canadian War Museum. There they toured the museum's art collection, unveiled a military mural by Augustus John, and took time to mingle with veterans and war brides. The warm reception they received throughout their time in Ottawa gave way to protests when the couple touched down in Montreal. Anti-monarchists followed the pair to the Sainte-Justine Children's Hospital and became more vocal still when they arrived at a cooking school. Inside, however, William and Kate seemed to revel in their cooking lessons as they tried to master french culinary delicacies and engaged in friendly banter with Quebec Premier jean Charest and his wife.

July 3: William and Kate pulled into Quebec City aboard HMCS Montreal, on which they spent the night. They first visited Maison Dauphine, a homeless shelter for youth, where they chatted with former residents and watched some of them perform magic tricks. The Prince also squared off in a game of tabletop soccer with one of the youths. After moving onto inspect the Royal 22E Regiment at the Citadelle, William addressed the crowd entirely in French and praised the province's residents for their "vitality and vigour." They moved onto Levis, Que., for a final farewell before flying to Prince Edward Island.

July 4: The day began with pomp and circumstance as the couple took part in a ceremony at Province House in Charlottetown and a procession down Great George St. The agenda became less formal once they reached the Dalvay By-the-Sea resort, where William took the controls of a Sea King Helicopter to practice the Canadian-developed Waterbirding emergency landing technique. The newlyweds then squared off in a dragon boat race, which the Prince won. William and Kate braved the rain to mingle with well-wishers, observe cultural performances, take part in an aboriginal smudging ceremony and sample some island delicacies. They moved on for a brief stop in Summerside where they watched a search and rescue operation before departing for the Northwest Territories.

July 5: Prince William kicked off festivities in Yellowknife by saying the North defines Canada and offering greetings in two First Nations languages. He and Kate watched demonstrations of aboriginal sports before the Prince got involved himself, going scoreless in a shinny hockey game with local youth. After observing a session of youth parliament, the couple flew to Blachford Lake where they were introduced to a variety of northern traditions, toured a local university and enjoyed a canoe ride to a nearby island.

July 6: The itinerary had originally called for a day of leisure for the royal couple once they departed Yellowknife, but William and Kate went instead to offer comfort to the residents of the fire-ravaged town of Slave Lake, Alta. They toured damaged sites, met with locals whose homes had been destroyed and offered words of consolation before departing for a 24-hour private retreat.

July 7: William and Kate spent much of the day at Skoki Lodge, a back-country property in Banff National Park, where they enjoyed some private time exploring the scenic hiking trails. They arrived in Calgary late afternoon where they initially caused a stir by not donning the official white cowboy hats that had been made for then. They later atoned by appearing in full western regalia, hats and all, at a reception hosted by the Prime Minister. The Prince expressed the couple's enjoyment of their Canadian tour and promised to return.

July 9: William and Kate concluded their Canadian itinerary by appearing at the parade that kicked off the Calgary Stampede, once again resplendent in western attire. They also took in an environmental display at the city's zoo, met homeless youth and attended an Alberta government reception. Through the day they mingled with adoring crowds one last time before departing for Los Angeles.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page