Top 10 excuses for posing in front of the words “Lest we forget” for a Christmas card:
• 10. Came down to a toss-up between that and “We are the dead.”
• 9. Thought it was a good counterpoint to Quebec’s “Je me souviens.”
• 8. It was the only picture in the batch that caught me smiling.
• 7. Original message was “Best of the season,” but some prankster Photoshopped it.
• 6. Thought it was the name of a Christmas carol.
• 5. Photographer was on loan from Veteran’s Affairs.
• 3. Got a deal on printing and planned to recycle for next year’s Remembrance Day cards.
• 2. Photo was cropped according to principles of feng shui.
And the No. 1 excuse for posing in front of the words “Lest we forget” for a Christmas card ...
• 1. It was just a joke, b’y. Lighten up.
Peter Jackson is The Telegram’s commentary editor. He can be reached at email@example.com.