Comments

Comments

• Betty Shugarue Hansen
    August 16, 2013 - 15:23

What year did the Crescent theatre close. Last nite I went to a dinner Theatre at the Gander Curling club and it was about the old Crescent Theatre. Skits about all the olc movies that were shown. It was great.

• Jerry Wakeham
    April 05, 2012 - 20:35

Gander was a great life for a little boy. Especially a little boy always feeling protected by his big brother. Remember being carried in your arms with a bad facial cut, and the cut being held closed with your handerchief. Was that a clean hankerchief? LOLBob, thanks for the great memories.

• Shirley McNiven Beresford
    March 30, 2012 - 07:40

This was so real for me because so much of what you had written brought me back in time. I remember your Dad taping me singing at CBC and we used to speak about little Bobby Wakeham--it was you-I had no idea.Small world,huh? I do remember going to someone's house on Fraser Rd. every recess and getting a small bag of damsons-so delicious. Did you do that too? Oh yes the marbles and hopscotch and double dutch skipping-so many memories. Thanks so much for all of it.

• Neil Shea
    March 27, 2012 - 12:16

Good article and a fine read. Knew Rick Stamp and did knock around with him early years in Gander. Fond memories for sure... Best N

• Dan Pinsent
    March 26, 2012 - 09:10

Although my world outside Gander had farther borders whilst growing up, and my gravel road was Rickenbacker, I certainly remember the Crescent. I was still into cartoons when it closed though. Fond memories indeed. Can't think of a better place to grow up.

• Terry Quinn
    March 25, 2012 - 14:18

This is such an accurate account of life in the fifties and sixties it is unbelieveable. Thanks Bob for bringing back such fond memories. I left in 68 but still remember those days and even Rick Stamp. I lived at the top of Nungesser and we used to wander dowwn to the same areas you mentioned and play the same way you and Rick did. Gander was and still is a special place for those of us who understand the true values and friends we had then.

• Christine Hau Carlen
    March 25, 2012 - 13:14

Thank-you for reminding me of the wonderful place I will always call "home"! And, although I was heading out into the "world" voluntarily, at the age of 29, I certainly appreciate the feelings of the young boy getting on the plane. "I knew that the grand and protected world in which I had lived was coming to an end." I often think of the song that says "I'm a Newfoundlander, born and bred....and I'll be one 'til I die........" Thanks.....

• Deborah LeDrew
    March 25, 2012 - 12:46

While I didn't grow up in Gander town you held me to the end with your memories of a special place in time and left me longing for more. Thanks Bob.

• Melvin D. Crewe
    March 25, 2012 - 10:03

Great reading Bob and your article brings back wonderful memories of growing up in Gander. My father (Eric Crewe) and your father worked together many years ago with either Allied or Pan American. I also remember the trips to Gizmo, playing cowboys and Indians at the tall grass where the Irving West Hotel is now (ex Holiday Inn) . We had great times. Rick Stamp's father, Dick worked with Allied in dispatch. Bill Mendina was also a good friend of the family. The memories of growing up in Gander will be cherished forever. Your recollection of the Crescent Theatre (Laheys store) next to Goodyears and the Co-op is spot on. The rush up town to see the serials before the feature movie gave us many ideas for battle at the tall grass. Very nostalgic and pleasant reading. Great work Melvin D. Crewe St. John's

• Ed Dwyer
    March 25, 2012 - 09:42

Thanks for the memories Bob. You just sent me on a trip of a lifetime. I can relate to a lot of the things you talked about. We would pack a lunch so we could go up by the Air Force Base to dig worms. LOL

• Gerard McCarthy
    March 25, 2012 - 08:50

Wow Bob, spot on! Thanks for a great trip down memory lane. Growing up in Gander, building 108, building 2 and finally Medcalf, I can easily relate to everything you wrote ... brought back a lot of good memories. I have passed this on to Speed's daughter and to a Gillis son! Also put the link on my Gander blog. Best regards.

• Catherine Hogan Safer
      March 25, 2012 - 10:24

Thank you so much for this, Bob. Brings back so many memories but one of the best is playing alleys on the side of the dirt road in the Spring - jackets flung all over the place. Our fingers would be black and frozen by the time we were called in for supper. When they paved Wilcockson we followed the machine all the way from one end to the other - in our bare feet. What a mess. Made hopscotch way easier, though. We would take bits of gyprock (sp?) from whatever construction was on the go to draw the lines instead of having to use a stick in the dirt. I think of that whenever I see a kid with a big old package of sidewalk chalk. Jealous.

• Brian Goff
    March 24, 2012 - 10:26

What a trip down memory lane! Bob you are right, you might have lost the non-Ganderites after the first paragraph, but I stayed with it will the end and wished there were more! Anybody who grew up in Gander did all those things and I remember them as though it were yesterday. Thank you for taking me back.

• Bob Callahan
      March 25, 2012 - 13:31

I was also one of those who started on the Army Side, moved into Gander I grew up on Fraser Rd. but spent most of my time on Balbo, I must say your column brought back a flood of memories. I can remember spending a lot of time watching the new house being built around town. Oh to be that age again, and have the carefree times we had.