Comments

Comments

• David
    October 12, 2012 - 15:41

Marilymn Monroe would have become one hard-looking old woman....but the world will never see or know that. In a parallel way, people's assessment of Brian Peckford, the premier, mellows and distorts with time to the point where sone think he was capable, even bright. LIfe is funny.

• Sam Dicks
      October 21, 2012 - 09:49

I'm an "old" friend of Brian's who was there when he won his first nomination in Green Bay and beat the bushes with him on the North side of Green Bay looking to pick up a few votes in that heavy Liberal area, where I happened to have some relatives. He won that election by 35 votes and the rest is history. I got to know Brian's heart & soul during those long days and became a loyal worker for him right through his leadership win & subsequent victories. He deserves the credit for much of what Newfoundland is reaping today. I'll be looking forward to reading the book.

• ginn
    October 10, 2012 - 17:54

Bob Wakehandam,s column is worth the cash, he can castigate, analyse and take apart positions and politicos. I don't always agree but I love the curmudgeon's column. Since I'm a tory who voted for Harper, he makes my day. Am I schizophrenic?

• IT'S ALL FRIGHTENING FOR THE ELECTORATE
    October 07, 2012 - 12:14

WILLIAM DANIELS: You are no doubt correct and now all the crowd at the trough are all advised they have to be good little girls and boys and do their part and have their voices heard in favor of this white elephant if they want the project to go ahead to see their fortunes increased from development contracts. These are people worth Millions of dollars already and they are willing to push this thing through so that they can make tens of millions more, all the while creating economic chaos in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, especially as it will impact on the un-indexed pensioned seniors and the poor of the province who will have to pay off the mortgage on this project through energy rate increases and their tax dollars. All the province's revenues will have to be directed to Nalcor to keep the Muskrat Falls mortgage in orbit. It is a frightening thought!

• Ben
    October 07, 2012 - 07:39

I just read Peckford's book...and while i respected some of the things he did, not sure i liked the tune of some of it. He seems to be bragging alot that 'i did this or i did that'...yes i agree he was a big part of the oil industry but he didnt do it himself! And he sounds like a child...'i wasnt invited to this event or that event'. Well just a note Brian you have been living out of the province since you were Premier. Not sure if governments are supposed to track you down for every occassion. But this is probably typical of all ex Premiers. And i guess you have your cronies on the go too...my god Jim Morgan knows it all these days. If i recall he was Fisheries Minister and didnt bring any drastic changes. And then you have Des Sullivan, who the normal person knew nothing off. Now he is the Energy expert...or is it his nemisis 'Uncle Gnarley'? Sounds like we are living in Pigeon Inlet somewhere. So Brian, just a tip, relax and realize that everyone had a hand in what happened here in NL, both good and bad!

• Eli
      October 07, 2012 - 14:04

I had nothing to do with Sprung! He did that all by himself. And I had nothing to do with his penchant for fat cigars the size of his ego (which was quite large), or his dispensing $50 tips to impress his friends. I had nothing to do with his up and leaving for B.C. altho I'd gladly have given him a push.

• Jay
    October 06, 2012 - 09:22

Bob, Your belated praise for Peckford seems to be more of a shot at the present government. Ever since Danny Williams took over and refused to let the old Peckford Tories line up at the trough again, they have tried to undermine everything this administration has done. This crowd left the province in a mess. Their costly attempts at dealing with provincial and federal issues were more embarrasing than effective. The real champion of the Atlantic Accord was John Crosbie, but the Peckford cronies will never give him his due. Nor will they allow anyone to credit Williams for actually getting some real benefits from the Accord. Something they weren't able to accomplish themselves. When I hear the likes of Jigger Jim, Dave Vardy, and Peckford criticize the present administration, it makes me realize even more, how arrogant this crowd was. Good riddance to them.

• WilliamDaniels
      October 07, 2012 - 10:58

Mr. Williams had his own crowd to line up at the trough.