Comments

Comments

• MasterCaster
    November 28, 2012 - 09:05

Technically, dogs Should be on a leash, or in a fenced Dog Park, and not running free. What if they attaked some poor child, you would not be able to restrain it, if it is not on a leash. Every Day, We take calculated risks, by first assesing the severity of the risk, and then assessing the occurance rate (chance) and chose the coninue or not. Trapping in that area has been going on long before the community encroached, and I strongly believe it should continue. You teach your children to cross the road safely, so should you teach them to explore their environment safely and discuss the risks, even the small ones. I have two dogs, and when in the bush, with them off the leash, I accept the risk of traps. I also accept the risk of them being eaten by coyotes and wolves, and thank trappers for contolling the population. I am sorry for your dogs pain, but it is your fault or ignorance, not the trappers. MC

• Will Cole
    November 07, 2012 - 16:21

Bad enough Angle got caught in that trap, but if my kid ever got caught in one, who-ever set it would be sued right into next week.

• Solution
    November 07, 2012 - 14:51

If pet owners are responsible and followed the law, there would be no problems. Keeo dogs on leash at all times except for approved areas and fenced in private property.

• Craig
    November 07, 2012 - 14:41

This event happened in Portugal Cove-St Phillips! The town is fast becomming the roaming dog capital of Newfoundland and Labrador and the town council could care less! Drive down practically any street or go for a stroll on any walking trail or woods trail and you will encounter a roaming dog or a dog that is with its owner but not on a leash. When did our society start having sympathy for those who flagrantly break the law?

• Craig
    November 07, 2012 - 14:34

The law states the dog should have been on a leash. The law was enacted to protect the dog from injury, to prevent the dog from causing injury to itself and others. The owner broke the law therefore the owner caused the injury to her own dog. I have great sympathy for the dog but instead of the owner getting my sympathy, I say she should be charged with breaking the law and causing injury to an animal.

• BlogDiss
    November 07, 2012 - 14:28

Really sad about the dog. However, if the owner had obeyed the law the dog would have been on a leash. The law is there to protect the dogfrom injury and to prevent the dog from causing injury. The owner broke the law and her dog was injured. Therefore, the real cause of the injury to this pet was its owner. I feel bad, like you, for the pet but I have absolutely positively not one ounce of sympathy for the law breaking owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• k
    November 07, 2012 - 13:25

So I take you to be one of the people to disregard laws. All dogs on leashes. But yours are the few to ignore the law. Wonder what the children are taught To inform some there are people who have a phobia of dogs. I have a dog and cat . My dog is on the leash per law.

• PETER
    November 07, 2012 - 09:15

I completely agree that traps should not be allowed within town boundries. This is a danger to humans and all animals. However on the other side, owners are not permitted to let dogs run loose within a town boundry either, and this is by both municipal by laws and provincial legislation. I always walk my dog on a leash, at all times knowing the risks involved in them running loose. Situations are always more then meets the eye or are reported. I feel sorry for both dog and owner, but the law is the law, pets are not allowed to run free, even on trails within a town.