Comments

Comments

• Peter II
    December 12, 2012 - 18:41

The only thing missing is some suggestions for soundtracks – if the poets become lyrical? However, it brings to mind how way off base such discussions have become. When I read this column in the Weekend Print Edition, I then moved to the Auto Sales flyers. One Mfg. was offering great discounts – they listed the sale price and bi-weekly payments at an interest rate. In the fine print they also listed the “Cost of Borrowing” – simply 26 times the payments times the number of years of financing. Unlike mega-project financing where they use “Combined Present Worth” algorithms. But what would be customer reactions if auto dealers only told you the Present Worth (at some unspecified “cost of capital” rate) of payments? Hmmmmm….? A friend was telling me about the book about Steve Jobs that he was reading. What made Apple so great The two Steves, for sure – at least? One thing that I read and often overlooked was the hardware/software perspective. Specifically Apple originally was making “Kit Computers” for hobby electronics buffs. Then they introduced Visicalc – simple spreadsheet software. This was seized upon by individuals, businesses big and small. Computer Accounting without the mainframe time shares!! Soon IBM and the PC hardware linked up with Lotus 123 to compete. The rest as they say is history – I suppose. Not videos, not games, not blogs but Accounting Utilities precipitated the boom in Personal Computing ?? Why then does not anyone seem to want to enter the Muskrat Falls basic fiscal on their Excel, or Quattro Pro grids with @Financial Functions. Six Billion, capital cost, 7.5 billion CPW at ?% ‘s. But what is in that fine print – “cost of borrowing”……. What are the bi-weekly payments for the project over 50 years at even 6%? Paycheck to paycheck…..

• Rupert
    December 10, 2012 - 00:57

If you think you wasted five minutes, imagine how much time was wasted in the House with all of this blithering.

• Jay Person
    December 08, 2012 - 11:28

I enjoyed the poems, and I agree with the sentiment expressed in the preamble about going to the House of Assembly to see is all live. He wasn't on your list, so I thought I'd add one of my favorite Jerome Kennedy quotes from way back in 2008 during a debate on a bill to change the access to information act. The first part of the tirade is directed at Lorraine Michael: "What it is, Mr. Speaker, is a lack and, I would suggest, a fatal lack, of understanding how government works – but how would she know how government works? She sits there by herself. She has no one to consult with. I haven't heard her complain about resources. Apparently, she must have enough. So, she sees shadows; she sees ghosts where ghosts don't exist. This is very straightforward. The Opposition House Leader, however, I would take issue with his comments because he should know better, Mr. Speaker. Being legally trained, I am assuming he practiced law. Well, he did practice law. I should say I don't know how well he practiced law. In any event, Mr. Speaker, when you look at the interpretation of a statute, how that Opposition House Leader can stand in this Legislature today, how he can stand here today and make these kinds of comments is beyond me, but I guess what it is, is politics. I guess what it is, is feeding into the media with their front-page stories on Saturday. I guess what it is, Mr. Speaker, is feeding into their political agenda, that we are not open and accountable." http://www.assembly.nl.ca/business/hansard/ga46session1/08-12-11.htm

• Jay Person
    December 08, 2012 - 11:07

• Me
    December 08, 2012 - 10:04

This is the most awesome, laugh out loud poetry I have ever read. Conversely, it is the saddest, most pathetic excuse for debate in the House of Assembly I have ever read.

• Maurice E. Adams
    December 08, 2012 - 09:04

The depth of the analysis demonstrated by our MHAs is astounding. They have truly been working hard making sure that the best interest of their constituents and the province as a whole has been looked after...... Now where's that damned oil truck?

• John Smith
    December 08, 2012 - 08:39

I feel like I just wasted 5 minutes of my life...another waste of space by Ms. Frampton....to think of how this space could have been utilized....Telegram at the level of a high school paper...shame...

• Sheldon Walsh
      December 08, 2012 - 11:01

I think you can blame the MHA's for the waste of space and high school antics. Didn't realize you were forced to read it. Do you waste "minutes" of your life by spewing your talking points on every Muskrat Falls article ever written under the sun? No I forgot, it's not a waste when you get paid for it

• Bob
      December 10, 2012 - 18:38

Forgive him not Father, for he knows exactly what he's doing.