Comments

Comments

• Bill McKay
    February 05, 2013 - 19:58

It's time to stop all fish farming in the ocean...our wild salmon stocks are under threat as well as other species like lobster, tuna, trout, etc, etc... What a crazy decision to allow diseased fish to be marketed..would we eat or sell diseased beef or chicken?... We should boycott all stores who sell these products ..hit them where it hurts!..no market no farming..it's that simple...

• Ian
    February 05, 2013 - 14:22

I wonder if any of the over 2 million pounds of these diseased fish that Cooke Aquaculture processed and sold have been comingled with other farmed salmon which have found their way into Loblaws shipmets or President's Choice products being sold to our federal politicians in Ottawa and various other markets across our nation. How do they know that they, too, are not chowing down on virus filled seafood???

• David
    February 02, 2013 - 16:59

I'll pass on farming disease. David Vancouver Island

• Bernard Swain
    February 01, 2013 - 19:06

Sobeys tell me they have been assured by their supplier that no salmon from Cooke's Aquaculture from the infected batch will be supplied to Sobeys. At the same time Cooke has stated they will not segregate ISA infected fish for any of their customers. Someone is being duplicitous. Who to trust? In this instance, no one. I am avoiding all farmed fish at any cost. This decision will cripple Canada's food safety credibility. This decision to allow the sale of diseased fish is money, not safety driven.

• retiredoutportguy
    January 31, 2013 - 13:11

I have also decided not to eat any farmed fish Salmon or otherwise. I do not believe they are fit for human consumption ie too fatty too soft textured & I'm sure they are consuming their own waste products & of late the numbers of deceased fish seem to be increasing. Enough said.

• fussy eater
    January 30, 2013 - 21:15

I have NO desire to knowingly eat anything that is diseased. in my opinion farming fish is admitting that you cannot or will not protect the wild fish. stock all the rivers you want with salmon but if you dont provide proper protection then someone will eventually poach the last salmon in the river, thats already been done to some rivers.

• Pierre Neary
    January 30, 2013 - 15:10

I'm going to take a pass as well. Thanks but no.......

• m
    January 30, 2013 - 08:36

And yet, people have no problem eating wild fish that have never been tested for any parasite or disease. No testing result does not mean no disease. Ignorance must truly be bliss.

• H JEFFORD
    January 29, 2013 - 21:57

IF FARMED SALMON Are diseased Then SALMON SHOULD SE HATCHED ONLY AND THE SMALL YOUNG SALMON SHOULD BE RELEASED INTO PROTECTED RIVERS OR BAYS AROUND THE ISLAND THAT WOULD HELP THE SALMON POPULATION INCREASE, THE SAME THING SHOULD BE DONE WITH COD FISH, I HAVE A PUBLICATION PUT OUT BY THE DEPT OF FISHERIES, FORTY PLUS YEARS AGO I GOT IT CALLED " ONE IN A MILLION" THAT TELLS OF THE SURVIVAL RATE BY CHARTS OF A COD FISH EGG AS ONE IN A MILLION THIS WAS FORTY YEARS AGO WHEN FISH WERE PLENTY. HOW LOW IS IT NOW? THE ONLY WAY TO HELP THE FISHERY TO REBUILD IT SELF IS WITH THE USE OF A FISH HATCHERY, WHERE FISH OR SALMON EGGS CAN BE HATCHED AND THE JUVENILE FISH RELEASED INTO PROTECTED COVES AND BAYS. WHERE THE SMALL BAYS AND COVES CAN BE RESTOCKED WITH JUVENILE FISH, The Survival rate may increase from one in a million to Hundreds of Thousands in a Million.

• Eli
    January 29, 2013 - 15:12

Russel, your comments pretty well mirror the views of Steve Smith's(?) column in the Saturday Telegram a few weeks ago. Your views are shared by Dr, David Suzuki, and if he matters me too. I think deased fish were what fuelled Dunderdale, Kennedy et al during their wild ride thru the Muskarat Falls nonsense. De musta' been pizened.

• paulSt.John's
    January 29, 2013 - 12:05

• JD
    January 29, 2013 - 11:48

I worked in a chicken processing plant. You have eaten chickens that had 3 legs, 3 wings, 2 eyes on one side of it's beak and so forth

• Bob Parker
    January 29, 2013 - 11:36

All fish farms should be on land in pools . . . period. We must protect our food chain and the wild fish from this industry. Profits should not be driving these ridiculous and dangerous decisions.

• wtf
    January 29, 2013 - 09:38

This is what happens when people demand cheap food. In the long run it becomes very expensive.

• paulSt.John's
    January 29, 2013 - 08:18

The salmon feedlot industry is a huge threat to coastal ecosystems and wild fish. It is a matter of putting profits for a few above the interests of the many.....again.