Comments

Comments

• O McMahon
    March 31, 2013 - 09:47

Catch and release will always be open for debate and so it should be. I do support the idea and I can see why it has its detractors. The negative side of it has to lie with the people who go overboard and keep releasing fish all day long. There has to be some mortality there. The positive side is in cold water, a period spent reviving the salmon, a release should work. The Anglers Guide has this section that recommends removing the hook and not touching the salmon. This is not a release practice but an end of life sentence for the fish. Ask me, I did it. Dumb idea.

• Brian
    March 24, 2013 - 12:22

Shirley - get over it. If it were not for those few ardent anglers who spend as much time as they do on a river, there probably wouldn't be anything left. What with fishery enforcement almost as extinct as the dodo bird, without these anglers on the river there would be open season on poaching. If people the world over bought into only fishing for retention purposes, there would be nothing left to retain. Catch and release has very good survival rates for the fish. Catch and Kill - not so much. I, for one, will be out this summer practicing catch and release (although I admit I do retain a couple for the pot), as will my son, who has been fishing with me since he was 5, and would rather release a fish than kill it any day.

• Petertwo
    March 24, 2013 - 07:50

But for salmon anglers it is highly doubtful that there would be any wild salmon left. They were being heavily fished out at sea after the sea feeding areas were discovered,especially after World War 2. Live release is a proven and well documented conservation method, not only for trout and salmon but for many other species as well. Yellowstone Park in the USA was the early pioneer for live release and not only did the numbers of trout show a remarkable increase but the average size of fish was considerably increased as well. I do not think the majority of anglers or outfitters would tolerate live release if the negative propaganda against it were true at all.

• MBC
    March 23, 2013 - 13:08

Paul, is the trout fishing season open? I was told it opens may 24

• Paul Smith
      March 26, 2013 - 19:30

seatrout opens feb 1 and open until early oct -- but only in designated seatrout waters

• Harold
    March 23, 2013 - 08:05

not everyone in Newfoundland wants to kill everything that moves but there is a culture among certain people that will capture or shoot everything that moves or if it don't move, shoot at it to see why it don't move. i believe education of our young people is the best way to change this attitude.

• Shirley
    March 23, 2013 - 07:20

Salmon are by all accounts a severely depleted resource. In many rivers where we practice hook and release their numbers are almost to the point of collapse. Hook and release is basically having a fish bite into a peice of metal, driving it into ist flesh and then the human at the other end of the line "plays" with the fish for a while and exhausts it before taking it out of the water to take pictures of the "throphy" and then puts it back into the water. Some portion of those that are released will die from the excitment/stress. If a person did this to any other animal he/she would be charged with animal cruelty! Ban the practice now because it is nothing more than a cruel act perpertrated by money hungry outfitters and eople eager to part with their money by inflicting pain to a helpless creature.