Comments

Comments

• Herb Morrison
    April 25, 2013 - 10:54

Within the context of this particular situation, it is unfortunate that those individuals or companies , who apparently have a good business sense, apparently don't have an equivalent sense of ethical standards to match. The idea that just because unskilled Canadians are unwilling to work for minium wage, at jobs where thay are required to work like slaves or be tossed out like yesterdays garbage is not a black mark against unskilled workers. Rather this situation is a black mark, and rightfully so, against employers, whose on;ly concern, at the end of the day, is their "Bottom Line." The merchants making their fortunes on the backs of the poor. Now where have Newfooundlanders and Labradorians heard that beforew? When the merchants made their money on the backs of outport fishermen and the women who toiled on the flakes, recieving a pittance for their labour this practice was considered to be unethical by later generations. Now we have the same type of exploitation taking place within a contemporary context, and the business people involved, instead of taking responsibility for being the archetects of this situationj, are attempting to portray themselves as victims. What's wrong with this picture?

• Ed Power
    April 25, 2013 - 10:44

OK, "A Business Man" , it's time to put away your Monopoly Board and go to bed now.

• Forward Thinker
    April 21, 2013 - 17:16

Lee. While what you say may be true in your case, I am aware of Canadians working in the fast food industry losing thier jobs because McDonalds brought in TFWs at 15% less. The owner was not even trying to hide what he was doing. He bragged about it. My teenages are finding it hard to find work because all fast food places are using TFWs. It is not a shortage of workers. I used to see seniors working in these places, but no more. You may be the exception, but this program is being used to increase profit and nothing more. Then the TFWs take most of thier wages home with them leaving little to help stimulate our economy. Shoddy. Very shoddy.

• a business man
      April 24, 2013 - 11:53

Honestly, I use TFWs at my fast food establishments. I have been doing this for years, well before the TFW program was such a heated topic. Frankly, I would choose a TFW over a local teenager because the TFW would look at this job as a career, as their livelihood, whereas this would be just a part-time or summer job for your teenager. Accordingly, I expect the TFW to simply care more and try harder. Same with the seniors...many work just to pass time or to interact with people, and again, they are just looking for enough to supplement their CPP. The TFWs on the other hand, they work hard, put in 100% and are happy with the wage. PLUS, paying them 15% less is the most important part, because it puts money in my pocket. At the end of the day, I invested in fast food operations for the sole purpose of making easy money on the side without doing anything. The TFW program gives me as a franchise owner a way to make more money, so I fully support it. Locals seem to think that they automatically deserve more than the minimum wage when their skills and experience suggests otherwise. Without the TFW program, I would have a rotating door of workers who do not care about their job and who are unhappy with the wage. That cannot work in fast food. That said, in my call center, my business is staffed with locals who do not care about their job and who are unhappy with the wage, but that model works fine in the call center industry. SO I do not use TFWs for the call center. But that model does not work for fast food, so I use TFW's for fast food. And regarding what they do with their money and where they send it, I really could care less. As long as I end up with more money, I have no concern with what they do with their money. It is theirs, they earned it fair and square, who are you to tell them where to spend their earnings? It seems you are the selfish one, only thinking about your teenager and how to restrict people from spending their own money as they see it. Maybe you should open a fast food franchise, hire some TFWs and make some money. I am cashing in on this program, and I encourage you to do so to. I plan to open another restaurant in Ontario, because there already is data that justified bringing in TFWs. At the end of the day, I am not interested in stimulating OUR economy; I am solely focused on stimulating MY economy, which begins and ends with may bank account. Everything else is irrelevant.

• Ed Power
    April 21, 2013 - 17:01

Where will the labour go, Lee? If business and industry need the oil, minerals or other resources that we have, they can't pick it up and move it. I suppose they can take their chances in countries such as those in Central Asia, or even Russia itself, where the costs they save by exploiting their workers - and not being burdened by taxes, industrial standards, health and safety standards and environmental regulations - are offset by the multiple bribes they pay to various officials to be allowed to operate in their jurisdiction. Bribes and kickbacks paid so they may hope to avoid having their assests seized by those same officials who decide that they want to go into business for themselves. Even China is being forced to crack down on illegal business practices and pay decent wages by their growing middle class workers, so it isn't likely that business will find any further safe haven there. Multinational corporations have already been chased out of much of South and Central America since many have overthrown their corporately-sponsored miltitary dictatorships. Those companies that remain find they now have to follow the laws and not ignore them.Taiwan, Singapore, The Phillipines, Indonesia and South Korea have all replaced corrupt dictatorships with democratic governments, Burma just did the same. Good luck finding a welcoming government in the Middle East after seven decades of US exploitation and occupation. Where else can business go if it wishes to operate in the manner to which it feels entitled? Africa, I suppose is an option, but if you think Uzbekistan was corrupt just wait until you open shop in Zimbabwe. If the corporate sector were to start paying decent wages and act like good corporate citizens at home, they could avoid many of the problems that they themselves have created. In closing, I have no problem with foreign workers being used in industries where most people prefer not to work. I do object to corporations importing foreign workers at slave wages - and with government consent - to replace Canadian workers, depress Canadian wages and fatten their already obese bottom lines.

• Lee Eddy
    April 20, 2013 - 10:08

I have a company in the agriculture field I would like to know where all these Canadian unemployed honest individuals are. I truly believe and have seen when foreign workers come to smaller communities these communities benefit as these are people who take jobs Canadians will not. My own belief is that we do not have the population in this country to adquately supply labour to mining(oil) forestry, agriculture and tourism at the same time. If we want long term sustained economic growth we need to increase our domestic demand and we can do this by increasing our population with workers from other countries. The founders of our country saw this. In reality the majority of us are foreign workers in Canada. I would really like to see what the economic benefits of foreign workers in smaller communities are, which I assume are positive. I have had a foreign worker and he was paid more and supervised the Canadians because he earned it. I believe the government's role should be ensure these workers are not abused. If Canada cannot supply the labor investment will move out and who will labour blame then. Be very careful what you ask for as you may get it.

• Derek Merritt
    April 20, 2013 - 10:08

The race to the bottom continues.