Comments

Comments

• Amanda Hyde
    July 10, 2013 - 14:11

We absolutely need public transit, but aside from expanding service to outlying suburbs, St. John's needs to halt urban sprawl and pursue smart, in-fill and higher density development.

• Stephen
    June 01, 2013 - 11:07

This article just stole my time. What a load of nonsense and condensed misinformation.

• david
    April 26, 2013 - 16:39

Transit may never be a completely cost-effective option here, but it does provide a significant, undocumented public benefit...when people get convicted of drunk driving here and lose their driving privileges (note the word "privilege".....), the existence of public transit does provide a cost-effective option for them to still get around. Based on this newspaper's regular coverage of arrests, I would not be surprised if around 4% of all Newfoundland drivers (1 in 25 does not seem wildly unrealistic at all) are driving drunk on our roads at any given time ( and at least double that on weekends, or after an Ice Caps game, etc.). With more ambitious policing efforts, this one source of "market demand" would keep an entire fleet of buses quite full. The only thing more dangerous in Newfoundland than being a driver is being a pedestrian. Thankfully, due to our own laziness and very uninspired urban planning, no one here walks anywhere.

• Anna
    April 26, 2013 - 13:03

I tried to take the bus for one week and I figured out I could have walked there just as quickly. The routes are outrageous, why don't the transit managers work out better routes, they need to remind people they are not a taxi service or a school bus service that stops in front of every door. My friends and I gave up eating out downtown as we couldn't find a place to park and I wish someone would tell me why Atlantic Place can't be opened in the night time to accommodate all the extra vehicles. Your column is great as usual, too bad the right people never seem to read it.

• Jay
    April 26, 2013 - 07:33

Well said. I'm sure there are people who absolutely need to use it, but the public transit system has never worked in St. John's. It never will. Even when I went to university and had to use it, I often just walked home rather than waste my time waiting for, or on, the bus. The service should be seriously curtailed, and savings put to better use, perhaps clearing sidewalks so people can walk in the winter. As for Mt. Pearl, more specifically Randy Simms, cooperating....it's not going to happen, so why do we constantly waste our time. Council constantly talks about planning. One of the key areas of a strategic plan is managing strategic issues in which you can affect change. Council should have learned, by now, that you cannot force somebody to cooperate, who doesn't want to. We have to learn that "NO" is an asnwer. Let's move in another direction, or would that take away Tom Hann's soapbox.

• Steve
    April 26, 2013 - 07:19

Brian, You've got a point, but you're missing the nuance here. The issue that needs to be pusued is park and ride. It's obviously crazy to have Metrobus meandering through the streets of far flung low-density suburbs and municipalities. No one has time for that unless they're desperate and have no other options. What will really help the downtown is if the City establishes one or two park and ride locations. These should be easily accessible off major thoroughfares, and the incentive to use them should be that there are direct runs downtown in the morning leaving every five to ten minutes. The parking lots should be secure areas, and the price should be free or significantly cheaper than paying for parking downtown, which would be the incentive. It also must have a minimal impact on people's time in the morning. The bus should head down harbour drive, turn around behind Atlantic Place and drop people off, and head back.