Comments

Comments

• Anna
    June 26, 2013 - 08:21

This place is getting worse and worse for garbage, I walked around the lake yesterday and was amazed by the number of people that didn't pick up after their animals. It's gotten to the point where so many people just don't care any longer and it seems like all the councils have just given up on it all. If you happen to walk by the woods by the new Health Care Centre on NL Drive, it is full of garbage that Marco haven't bothered to clean up and no one takes them to task for it. It is so sad we live in such a beautiful Province to have people disregard it like this.

June 25, 2013 - 22:11

It's dog poop, coffee cups, grocery bags, cigarette butts, car wrecks, grafitti, appliances in the woods. Yes we are a "have" province but are we proud of what we "have" ???

• Anon
    June 25, 2013 - 16:28

In case you haven't noticed Mr. Wangersky, it's not just dog crap, it's EVERYTHING.This entire island is littered by ignorant newfoundlanders (i spell it lowercase with deliberate disrespect) who can't be arsed to throw anything into a garbage bin if there isn't one within 5 feet of them. And shame on anyone who uses non-biodegradable doggie-bags, there's no excuse for that anymore.

• Maggy Carter
    June 25, 2013 - 10:27

You got the scoop on that one Mr. Wangersky. Reminds me of the aliens who concluded that dogs were the masters and humans their slaves - tethered behind to pick up their discards. The problem, I guess, is that some humans are less slavish than others. Frequenting many of the same trails, I have learned to anticipate, and side-step for the most part, the fresh offerings from the early morning crowd. I say early morning because I believe that's when the canine's cunning comrade feels the least inhibited. What does surprise me is the typical turd placement - often right in the middle of the trail. It's as if its owner is making a statement of his own. There was a time when rubbing the animal's nose in it was thought to cure indiscriminate dog doo-ing. We know now of course that it's the wrong remedy for dumb dogs - but what about their dumb owners?

• Mike
      June 25, 2013 - 11:26

Right on Maggy Carter!

• Craig
      June 25, 2013 - 11:48

"rubbing the animals nose in it" you say! An awesome deterrent for sure! However, how about we adopt a remedy that will see the dog owners nose rubbed his/her pets "doggie-doo"? Since they are the real inconsiderate, anti-social, uncaring idiots it would be a fitting punishment for them don't you think?

• Foghorn Leghorn
    June 25, 2013 - 10:06

I am still stuck on the mental picture of a bag of dog poop that is too big to fit through a storm grate!

• Mike
    June 25, 2013 - 08:32

Well said Russell. The issue is the same everywhere. I live in Paradise and despite numerous complaints to town officials, the issue continues. I realize that, unless someone is caught in the act, it is difficult to do anything about this with having an enforcement officer on every street corner. Part of the problem is also people who let their cats and dogs roam freely. I have seen them walking around our neighbourhood, doing their business whenever and wherever the feeling strikes. I've heard of kids with sandboxes that have been used as litter boxes by stray animals. On a few occasions, I have attempted to follow them home and find out how their owners like it when someone leaves poop on their property. These people need to be dealt with, whether by municipal officials or people in their communities. Unfortunately, it is the few idiots that make it bad for everyone, however, maybe you're right in suggesting a possible ban of pets on trails, etc. Something certainly needs to be done. I hope anyone who witnesses these inconsiderate acts does something about it, either by confronting the offenders or reporting them.