Unless you need help, stop complaining

Trevor
Trevor Taylor

For the record, I love winter. I love snow. I love the cold. I love being outside in the snow and the cold.

Given a choice between a trip to some southern destination to sweat on a hot beach versus a trip to the west coast skiing or a trip to the Northern Peninsula snowmobiling, the choice is easy: you can have the sun tan; I will take the snow tan. Give me the smell of cold, crisp, fresh air.

Granted, I grew up on the Northern Peninsula, where snowstorms meant you couldn’t see the house across the road when it was good and “dirty.” And we lost the power, often.

And since we relied on our own pump for water, it meant that in advance of the storm, the bathtub and some buckets were filled with water to keep us going until the power was restored.

With a woodstove to supplement the oil furnace or replace it when the power went, along with lanterns, candles, lots of food and ample gas, we were always prepared for extended trouble.

So, needless to say, I don’t understand all of the complaining around what by most measures has been an inconvenience over the past few days. Granted, there are some who can’t be adequately prepared for winter weather and power outages. But those people are in the minority and if the rest of us were prepared and did what we could, it would make it a lot easier for public service providers to deal with those who, for a variety of reasons, can’t.

And was it a surprise to anyone that we had what passes for a storm in St. John’s?

Aside from the fact that it is early January in the windiest, snowiest capital city in the country, I, for one, was sick and tired of the constant warnings on all public airwaves for at least three days before the storm hit. Yes, we definitely knew it was coming.

Well, you might say, the power outage was a surprise. Really? The reasons behind the rotating power outages and the subsequent failure at Sunnyside aside — and while the causes vary — power loss in winter is a common occurrence everywhere there is winter and an electrical grid. Toronto comes to mind, even.

While the reliability of Holyrood and other power generating stations can be debated, for 24 hours before the rolling blackouts started, we were warned of their imminent arrival. We were asked to reduce consumption in order to minimize the impact. Yet, you could drive around town and with little trouble find many kilowatts of wasted consumption by those who refused to heed the advisory.

As Fred Penney, an old fisherman I fished with for years used to say, “Carelessness is not worth much unless it is well kept up.” I sympathize with those who, because of personal circumstance, have difficulty dealing with winter and the challenges that comes with it. That doesn’t extend to those able-bodied, financially capable among us who, through their own actions, find themselves in a pickle when completely predictable winter weather and entirely anticipated power supply problems come along.

Hats off to the frontline workers who, through all this, have climbed poles, waded through snow banks, plowed snow, responded to medical emergencies and in many cases did so at their own personal risk.

As has been pointed out by many, this is early winter; there will in all probability be more to come. Stick on a pair of snowshoes, grab cross-country skis, go to the Bannerman Loop for a skate, slide at Pippy or Bowering Park, get out and embrace winter, you might lose some of those pounds you put on over Christmas.

One thing is certain; complaining isn’t going to make it any shorter. At least I hope it doesn’t.

Geographic location: Northern Peninsula, Sunnyside, Toronto Holyrood Bowering Park

Comments

Comments

• diesel10
    January 08, 2014 - 16:14

Well Mr. Taylor. If you are saying you are completely self-reliant then please stop taking your government pension - after all its only money which you clearly do not need.

• Parsons Trucking
      January 09, 2014 - 15:17

Agree, give up your pension, seems you don't need it. I do agree with Mr. Taylor on one stance though, this province has the most Whinocerous's in the country. Unreal.

• sc
    January 08, 2014 - 13:17

Gee, no wonder nothing ever gets done in this province with people like Mr. Taylor around. No one is supposed to complain or even demand that this province's politicians and other officials try to bring this province into the 21st century. No, instead we are supposed to just sit back and be content with whatever the government says or does. Why try to improve things? Let's all be satisfied with the way things were and live like inhabitants did a century or more ago. I would hope that our current politicians can live up to such modest expectations. The macho spiel of Taylor and others is so tiring. They want to portray themselves as being so adventurous, brave, hardy and independent although what they really are saying is that they don't have the courage to demand more of this government on behalf of all residents of it. Or, perhaps they are so selfish that they assume that although they want to pretend that they are living in the 1800s that everyone else should, too. I agree that complaining won't shorten the winter but perhaps it will force our politicians to do something if for no other reason than to quell public anger. Mr. Taylor, you go out and play in the snow as that seems to be all you need to be happy. Hopefully many others will work to make this a province of which people can be proud. If that means taking the government to task for its 'screw-ups' so be it.

• Yeah I get it, you're a tough mudder Trevor.
    January 08, 2014 - 12:54

Trevor, you totally missed it here. You really don't get it. Simply put, NL Hydro/Nalcor ran out of power because it got extra cold and the power usage exceeded what was available. The Sunnyside and Holyrood problems just made things worse. NL Hydro had no buffer on their generating capacity, and they RAN OUT OF POWER! People are not angry and complaining just because their toes got cold and they were inconvenienced, but all this was totally avoidable. The real issue here isn't about one's ability to stay comfortable during a power outage, most people did just fine. Rather than shaming folks for complaining, why don't you use your column to dig into the issue and expose the incompetence with NL Hydro.

• The strongest Bayman alive on snowshoes
    January 08, 2014 - 11:57

Excellent column. Resettle if you can't handle it. Fred Penney, Trevor and I personally snowshooed down to sunnyside and surveyed the scene of the fire. Caused by negative thinking was the only conclusion we could agree on. Since we loves da cold and sweating like men in it, we ventured further, to mile one, we only stayed for the first period, too hyper, we strapped the racks back on and bum-motored for home. We went to Arizona heat for a quick stop, it was shut down, obviously, so we did an impromptu photo op there, a few snow tan bare chested selfies and we took off again. Broke out our skates, went right from bannerman, to the avalon mall, to the village, then back on the racks for mt pearl. When will people learn to shed electricity and live like us, on testosterone and birch bark. If you are not an able bodied pocket full of money, seasonal worker on regular pokey or young feller pension snow walker, move to Halifax ya wimps! Canada looks after us, so we can look after ourselves and be tough. Admire us for we quit government here, so now the weak townies and their guberment are saplings to trampled by our snowshoes. We are super men, ubernewfies. Feds put your money in our pockets because we are the chosen ones. If you are strong like us, and climbed a pole etc, you are cool, and can be in our gang, if you got the snowshoes.

• Anna
      January 11, 2014 - 06:51

Omg, can't breathe, laughing too hard. Best comment ever to that ass!

• Winston Adams
    January 08, 2014 - 09:58

I wondered why so many commented on this article, so decided to read it. Boy oh boy. I thought Trevor had some sense. Seems he has little. Like many, I have allowed my backup heating to deteriorate. Mostly because we had , in the past, a very reliable electrical grid, managed by professionals. This has been sabotaged by politicians wanting a legacy project. I had to leave my cottage to return to Logy Bay where my disabled son had no power for his electric wheelchair, or his electric lift. Worse still, there was no heat, and he opted to stay in bed with more blankets. I was lucky to have gassed up before the outage, or I may not have got back. We were on candle heat, and a propane portable kept low to avoid carbon monoxide poising. A month earlier, I expressed the desire for a back up generator... having this gut feeling that our island generation system was being neglected. I, as an engineer with Hydro in the 70s, designed some of this infrastructure, and I was now losing faith in how it was being run. I could see the need of having to invest thousands of dollars for backup systems for my home, while we promote our province as a energy warehouse, and in the hands of world class engineers. It's like Alice in Wonderland. You are right on one thing.... going forward we all NEED backup systems, at tremendous cost, because of the incompetence and the inhumanity of people like you, who have put us on this path. Your comments reminds me of the famous USA general who, in WW2, slapped a soldier, suffering from PTSD, calling him a coward.

• Bev
    January 08, 2014 - 08:37

People keep forgetting that the reason for the extended power outage was the fire at Summerside on Saturday morning. These things cannot be avoided...what i got from Taylor's article is that we should all be a little more prepared. I guess people dont like hearing this but folks we have to realize that. We live on an island in the middle of the North Atlantic...extra ordinary things can and will happen.

• SOB
      January 08, 2014 - 13:11

@Bev. The Sunnyside fire wasn't the cause. NL Hydro/Nalcor ran out of power because they were doing maintenance in the middle of winter and had no extra capacity to deal with extra cold weather or equipment failure. Holyrood still has a generator offline and it won't be fixed for weeks. Crossing your fingers is not a viable risk management strategy.

• gb
    January 08, 2014 - 07:28

Trevor you're a clown. The supply of electricity during our frigid NL winters is a basic nessesity, vital for life and safety. When it is cut off it is a serious matter. Trying to blame the citizens is beyond me. Ok I get that you are healthy, have a bit of excess funds in your bank account to prepare and buy/ store the stuff you need to get through this but many familys in subdivisions etc don't. Also we didn't know how long this will last. Suppose the ice caps game put the last Holyrood generator out of commission? Then we have that ice storm/flooding today? Sure by..put on your snowshoes and go for a hike..ohhh my!

• Bill
    January 08, 2014 - 06:08

I really don't see what the big deal about having a bit of wind and snow and losing power for a day is . I've sent more time in a speedboat hunting seals or ducks/turrs in that weather than the whole thing lasted. I spelled a good many buckets of water before when there was sign of dirty weather coming and a chance of losing the power. A little bit of preparation goes a long way folks. Usually when I don't have power I'm in camp in the country. I don't cry about it then , And I sure as hell wasn't crying about it last weekend. It's winter people, put in and extra yaffle of wood, top up a couple of jugs of gas, and put and extra can of beans in the pantry. Best ye do it now, it's starting to blow again.

• D.
      January 08, 2014 - 08:05

Thank you Time Traveller Bill, for your pre-Confederation advise on surviving the blackout. That's what everyone in St. John's should have done during the storm, got in their boats and when out tru' the Narrows to shoot a feed of turrs and den went up handy to da woods for 'nodder yaffle o' wood, wha'?

• Hugo Williams
    January 07, 2014 - 22:27

Related Commentary not provided by the mainstream media in Newfoundlandistan or Danistan - Ratepayers Conserve Power Unless You Own A Hockey Team - Game On. http://bondpapers.blogspot.ca/2014/01/the-great-blizzardblackout-2014-nlpoli.html#more http://unclegnarley.blogspot.ca/

• Kyle
    January 07, 2014 - 21:47

Wow, who does this paper cater to? The bible-thumping, rural 60 year old rough and tumble men from Nowhere Upper Burnt Cove West? Trevor Taylor's solutions for the outage are hardly accomplishable for most people in St. John's. Duly noted that I will never, ever vote for this individual in future politics.

• Let them eat cake
    January 07, 2014 - 21:34

Trevor is absolutely correct. All of you should be burning wood to stay warm, and keeping busy. Enjoy the outdoors. If you run out of wood sure you can always burn the envelopes your MHA pension cheque comes in. And if you run out of paper just use your federal patronage appointment as an excuse to fly somewhere warmer or safer. You just need to prepared, like Trevor says. Feather your own nest and you'll always have a warm spot and a few taxpayers dollars to get you through a cold snap.

• Dood
    January 07, 2014 - 17:27

Pretty cold of Taylor. The poor man' family who died of co.

• Julie
    January 07, 2014 - 16:51

People, look like everyone made Taylor happy today, This man feed of other people misfortunes...Right now he jumping for joy..

• EDfromRED
    January 07, 2014 - 16:17

"I love being outside in the snow and the cold" Is that the Goddamn reason you and PC's did absolutely nothing after Burton Winters died!? Maybe he should have been tougher too hey? The only people the PC's seem to think deserve health and safety are executives and cronies

• Ed Power
    January 07, 2014 - 15:37

The statements made by Mr. Taylor in this piece give one some idea as to why he is no longer active in provincial politics, and why his federal ambitions came to naught. Oblivious. Condescending. Hectoring. On the other hand, with qualities like those, it's no wonder the federal Conservatives recruited him for the last campaign. He had the "right stuff" to be a Conservative cabinet minister.

• Greg O'Driscoll
    January 07, 2014 - 15:24

Unreal, what a arrogant bastard Taylor is.

• Greg O'Driscoll
    January 07, 2014 - 15:16

Unreal, what a arrogant bastard Taylor is.

• Tammy Manor
    January 07, 2014 - 14:56

I certainly won't disagree with the majority of this article. However, I have to disagree with the idea that 24 hour notice was given of rolling blackouts. I'm fortunate to be home all of Christmas and will admit to be fairly addicted to social media when I'm not at work. The first I (or anyone in my family) heard of a plea to conserve was about mid-afternoon Thursday when a friend shared a link to an interview done on VOCM. While I can't quote the article directly, at the time rolling blackouts were said to be a last resort. Like I said, I'm often on Facebook and other social media sites and that was the first I had heard of it. My husband, who was at work that day, knew nothing of the impending situation until he came home. Then as I was explaining the situation to him and turning down the heaters, the lights went out, quick as that. Ours were gone that night for 3.5 hours. I respect the right of any journalist/person expressing their personal view of this situation. However while there may have been 24 hours notice given in some outlets, it certainly wasn't done in a wide-spread fashion.

• Janet
    January 07, 2014 - 14:43

I guess some people don't like to be told that they could have helped themselves more. Taylor even said there were some who probably couldnt help themselves... I don't see anything for people to get riled up about.

• richard
    January 07, 2014 - 14:34

thanks for making me sure this newspaper isnt worth reading

• richard
    January 07, 2014 - 14:32

thanks for making me sure this newspaper isnt worth reading

• Rock Bottom Realist
    January 07, 2014 - 14:12

My one and only thought as I was reading this was this is clearly the musings of a detached politician! Fortunately you are not in a position to do damage with that attitude anymore. Unfortunately the Confederation Building is full of people who think exactly the same!

• Bart
    January 07, 2014 - 13:41

Once again Trevor Taylor shooting off his mouth down grading people because of trouble caused by in high ranking positions not having one clue in the world at what they are suppose to be doing. He never had the balls to run again in a district to give the people a chance to vote his ass out. He didn't know what he was doing then and he sure as hell dont know what he is doing now. Keep ya ignorant comment s to yourself . Go suck on that pension your getting and dont deserve.

• Kris
    January 07, 2014 - 13:25

Personally, I agree with this statement. Everyone took to social media, radio with their woe is me case like they had it the worst. Please people it wasn't really that bad. And as for being "rich" and being able to have immediate access to a generator or wood stove, as a full time student (who due to personal reason couldn't work full time over the holidays to supplement income) I have no access to a generator or wood stove. I live in an apartment with my girlfriend both of us in our mid-20's and a 78 year old senior that has electric heat as a heat source. We endured the rolling blackout and extended blackouts fine. Please remember people, that when you think you have it bad, someone else always has it worse.

• Steve
    January 07, 2014 - 13:11

The premier lied to us. They knew well in advance that this was going to happen. This has very little to do with the weather or the storm. This is mass incompetence, lies and corruption. There needs to be an inquiry, and an investigation. Lives were lost because of this mismanagement. This is serious. Even criminal. Dunderdale should resign immediately at the very least. Imo she should be arrested.

• Robert
    January 07, 2014 - 13:08

We were really fortunate. Our power outages began more than 24 hours BEFORE the storm. And this storm could in no way be compared to that in Toronto. To even try and make a comparison between the two sotrms demonstrates maybe you need to come in from the cold and let whatever brain cells you still might have thaw out. This is simply an attempt by an old tory who was destined to lose the last election if he ran to try and stay in favour with the current party faithful.

• Chris
    January 07, 2014 - 12:51

Tayloy b'y your getting slaughtered for telling everybody they could be a little more prepared. Says alot about this place. We used to be tough one time...now we expect everything to be done for us. Its a little sad! Your tough Trev b'y...not like the complainers on here who couldnt watch their 60 inch tv for a few hours or sit in their hot tubs.

• paul
      January 07, 2014 - 13:15

Nalcor should have been more prepared...this would not have happened if they were. if they were operating /maintaining the system at its full potential ,or even near to it, it would realistic to tell people to suck it up...but its not what happened. people have a right to be angry for why this happened.

• EDfromRED
    January 07, 2014 - 12:51

Why oh why is NL cursed with so many Clueless, Tone Deaf, Ignorent, Boot Licking politicians?-- current and former. I would not trust any provincial PC to run a wiener wagon, let alone the Province. And I do not trust a former PC Cabinet Minister who was spineless like the rest of the PC automatons when in power.

• annoyed.
    January 07, 2014 - 12:47

hands up if you had a 72 hour emergency kit and were able to make it through the blackout OK, now a show of hands for all those that NEED the government to babysit them. Dunderdale could write a million dollar check to every man and woman in this province and she'd still be doing something wrong.

• Marshall Art
      January 08, 2014 - 09:17

Hands up if you support the aholes in Government who didn't know or couldn't care squat about the fact that there's no legislation requiring seniors' homes to have generators. Hands up if you support the smart mouth ahole with the golden pension who wrote this article and made not one reference to the disabled and the elderly, many of whom were left to fend for themselves during this difficult period. Hands up if you support telling the writer of this article exactly where he can stick his ski poles.

• Dolf
      January 08, 2014 - 10:26

Couldn't have said it better than Martial Art.

• Bob
    January 07, 2014 - 12:26

For Christ sakes Trevor, the majority of people were fine and would be fine in a longer situation. The problem is that not everyone was fine, friends have homes wrecked, plumbing nightmares and more. This is simple mismanagement of infrastructure. And no we should not be surprised by it. It is rampant at all levels of Govt. We won't even go to the total lack of good leadership that we were shown. Why don't you go outside and stay off the computer. Enjoy that public funded pension that the complainers helped you to get you absolute twit.

• Clipper
    January 07, 2014 - 12:18

Excuse me.......this is a democracy (inspite of the present government and former politicians) and we are allowed to complain. As for what Skipper Jim or Grampy Bill did 50 or even 25 years ago....I give them credit....but times have changed....move on. and as for Nalcor...poor planning and risk management and as for Muskrat Falls....that will be hanging around my grandchildrens necks so I feel I have every right to complain.

• Virginia Waters
    January 07, 2014 - 12:13

Wow! It isn't only the premier who is detached, indifferent, arrogant when it comes to the struggles of lesser mortals. These are struggles with Mother Nature made immeasurably worse by the abject failure of a government which, during Trevor Taylor's tenure in Cabinet, was so preoccupied with making NL an 'energy warehouse' that it neglected to maintain the existing energy system. Taylor would have us believe that we are responsible for this fiasco - not government and not NALCOR. And in some sense I guess we are - by virtue that a majority of us voted for Dunderdale and people like Trevor Taylor. Taylor would have us believe that if we didn't all invest in back-up power sources, that's our look-out. But it's fine with him that NALCOR - the publicly owned utility charged with supplying reliable power - failed to do the same. What leaders - real leaders, not people like Taylor - need to be asking is whether we want a proliferation of gas generators, converters and the like across this province as a result of a loss of public confidence in the provincial grid. Should we be supporting the public grid with our tax dollars and our monthly utility cheques, and at the same time keep our own personal source of power ready to go on a moment's notice? Don't be sucked in by Taylor's example of the outages in Toronto. Those outages were actually the result of storms that brought down power lines - not by neglect of generating systems. Taylor might be out of government but it seems he's till getting his talking points from the spin doctors on the ninth floor.

• Chilly townie
    January 07, 2014 - 12:09

Power outages are indeed to be expected in Newfoundland, finally after years of quietly accepting it people are looking to answers. Why is that such a shock? In all of this mess no one seems to mention how a certain propane company has failed it's customers. I thought I was prepared but my tank ran dry during the storm. Good luck trying to get through to said company. Finally today Tuesday to be told of a propane shortage and will not get a delivery for 2-3 weeks. Gonna be a long cold winter.

• Tony
    January 07, 2014 - 12:07

Just to remind people the BIG power outage happened because of a fire at Sunnyside. This could happen anytime folks...the message is we all have to be prepared. Its easy to lay blame but not so easy for each do our part, and in that i mean Hydro, NL Power and the government.

• Terry
      January 07, 2014 - 13:03

Tony, Do you really believe the root cause of the fire at Sunnyside wasn't rolling outages/lack of generation?

• Mount Pearl Guy
    January 07, 2014 - 11:40

Now stories that the Village Mall could be closed for a few weeks, retail workers don't get paid if they aren't working. Still think they should suck it up and go play when they won't have a paycheck?

• W. Bagg
    January 07, 2014 - 11:28

Well Trev bye, I can see how we got into this pickle. With people of similar mindset to you serving as politicians it is no wonder. It is quite easy for someone from the Northern Penn to prepare for a storm or even cope since you don't have a 9-5 job or live in a basement apartment. Also, Toronto has 2.6 million people and the GTA has over 6M. Alot more people to supply power to than our 500K even though we have much more Hydro in our provincial energy warehouse! This wasn't a ice storm that took down lines, it was a generation problem for 500K people when it went to -10. Imagine if NL Hydro was working in Western Canada's climate, where -10 is a joke. Think about the single moms in basement apartments, I wonder why they didn't have enough gas for their generators or the new mother who's husband had to go to work! Or imagine the complainers in the. care home who had to go to a motel..........totally complaining I guess. Keep counting the days until 55 when your pension that all these complainers paid for kicks in.

• John
    January 07, 2014 - 11:21

Well if that wasn't a smug bit of screed from Trevor Taylor. Trevor b'ye, most people in this province don't enjoy the perks of having been a former MHA or a gold plated pention, and are struggling to make ends meet in contemporary Newfoundland & Labrador. I don't know many people on fixed incomes who can afford to install a woodstove and buy wood, or purchase a generator and buy gas (if it is even available) for this type of emergency. Living in a city with all the various bylaws and "you can't do that or this" is a different reality than the one you enjoy(ed) on the Northern Pen. Your smug attitude is earily similar to those presently governing this province, and will likely be their undoing in 2015. By the way, I own a pair of snow shoes, and have enjoyed them when The little free time I have allows. I may be far too busy to use them this winter, so if you would like them, I could send them to you with instructions on where to shove them.

• david
    January 07, 2014 - 11:00

Trevor Taylor has a set of skills he has spent years honing...and they're all on display here.

• joesawyer
    January 07, 2014 - 10:54

Give me a break! Do You think you are the only one who had a 'tiny' experience of the 'old' days? In 2014, regardless of how we grew up or life experiences, have every right to complain when those in senior positions do not exercise due diligence and governance. Do you think that your neighbors on the N. Pen. should not be complaining about the S. Of Belle Isle ferry service? Maybe you could just wait a bit and then ski across.

• Sherry
    January 07, 2014 - 10:49

Well Trevor, I also grew up on the Northern Peninsula and enjoy getting outside in the winter every bit as much as you. I have all the camping gear you need to be prepared... a coleman stove, lots of candles, good food, etc. I lost power for most of this past weekend that when my house temperature got down to 1degree things were getting pretty rough. See while we have much in common there is one very big difference between us. I am poor and you are not. Now, I am fairly young and healthy so I managed to get through it fine. But imagine, if you will, what it was like for the poor/elderly/disabled people who were shut up in their homes in the cold. Imagine not having a nice big truck in the driveway, so that you could actually get to a relative's or a friend's house, if you were lucky enough to have one to count on. Trevor, I know people that have not left their homes in weeks because of the snow. There's so much of it they cannot safely get out, even to walk to the corner store. The roads are not adequately cleared and unless you want to walk in the middle of the road there is nowhere to go. Yesterday I listened to my boss say something very similar to what you have written. He was also making fun of the whiners. Of course, during the storm he packed his kids into the luxury SUV and went over to parents house on Monkstown Road where they spent the day in front of the fireplace hearth. He was, like our Ms. Dunderdale, very comfortable. Now I know he did not mean to sound like such an arse. Neither did the premier. And I'm sure you didn't either. How could you know that these statements would hurt or upset people, after all? Because it simply did not even occur to you, right?

• Marshall Art
      January 08, 2014 - 11:35

Sherry, Mr. Taylor has shown that he's an insensitive cretin but he couldn't care squat about that. He's paid to write a column for the paper, and the more controversial his comments are, the better. He's got his golden pension in his fat arse pocket , so concern for the poor, the disabled and the elderly during rolling blackouts and freezing temperatures are the furthest thing from his mind. Says a lot about him as a person, doesn't it ?

• David Somers
    January 07, 2014 - 10:12

Maybe if Mr. Taylor had put as much effort into reading infrastructure recommendations from Hydro when he was in cabinet, we wouldn't have to complain.

• Mount Pearl Guy
    January 07, 2014 - 10:04

Are you serious? Go out and enjoy winter. We didn't lose power because of a storm, we lost power because of neglect to our power system. People are losing wages due to business being closed, homes are destroyed from freezing pipes, and even the Come By Chance refinery is out. What message does this send to out side business, this wasn't caused by hurricanes or ice storms outside of our control.

• Seal Club
    January 07, 2014 - 10:00

Trevor, you've missed the point. It's 2014 -- people have expectations of reliable electricity in the middle of winter. Not everyone has immediate access to a generator or woodstove.

• Lily
    January 07, 2014 - 09:58

I think you are right! Only thing is, we have let our lives become too up to date as they say! Mostly electric heat with no back-up! The past week I have never heard so much complaining from NEWFOUNDLANDERS in my life! Get a grip! We live on an island where the weather is unpredictable. Do I think it could have been helped? Sure, but what is the point in complaining! If you took the energy it takes to complain and actually did something about it perhaps you might not have so much to complain about after all. I am sick of the people thinking that the Government owes them something! I for one have decided to pack an emergency box, make sure that we are prepared the next time. Yes I froze and would have done anything for a hot coffee, but I also had a roof over my head and spent some quality time TALKING instead of having my head bent over a phone. A dose of reality is good sometimes!

• Ken Collis
      January 07, 2014 - 11:14

Of course government owes us something. What do you think our taxes are for? Over half of what we earn goes to those people so they can look after these things.

• Dee
      January 07, 2014 - 11:54

Yes the government does owe us something!! To be accountable to the people and use our tax dollars apropriately!! We have the full democratic right to keep our government in line. If you find this annoying, move to North Korea where rolling black outs are the common norm.

• Frozen
      January 07, 2014 - 15:09

Yes Lily the govt does owe us something. They take care of the ppl on welfare & so they should also take care of the working ppl also & just incase your not aware Lily our taxpayers dollars are going to the govt to help with our necessities not for them to just put in their pockets. If they cannot help us Newfoundlanders with "our" money, then kick them out & get someone in govt who can!!!!

• Ken Kavanagh
    January 07, 2014 - 09:56

I guess Trevor is still part of the team. He chastises and criticizes citizens for complaining ( and let's be honest here.... because they are complaining about his party and his leader) by complaining about the complainers and about the constant warnings by the media! So, we get the picture. Trevor is a man's man who was loves roughing it in the cold bitterly cold winters of the Northern Peninsula. In fact, he would lead us to believe that the colder, windier and darker that it is, the better. Fine Trevor, that is your choice. Perhaps you should move farther north where is dark, cold and stormy most of the year. Then we might be spared your condescending dribble. Ken Kavanagh Bell Island

• paul
    January 07, 2014 - 09:55

I didn't lose my power for a minute but , yah know what? I'm still pissed about this. there is NO excuse for the lack of preparedness that is behind this...we might have cruised on through if it was a mild winter but, it was not...and 5 mild winters does not mean 6 mild winters... they were not prepared, there is no excuse for that, and all Newfoundland and Labrador residents, no matter how self sufficient, have the right to be p-d off about it.

• Sam
    January 07, 2014 - 09:47

Glad to see someone actually speak the truth! We know people dont like to hear it...but so be it! While we always hope that the power doesnt go or we don't have winter storms in the middle of the winter, we should be more prepared ourselves. This is one message that has been left out of all of this. Thanks for sharing it.

• Really?
    January 07, 2014 - 09:41

How about Mr. Taylor explain this to the families of those who have died trying to stay warm or keep their pipes from freezing. Nobody wants to answer the question that everyone is asking...WHY WAS PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE NOT PERFORMED?????

• Really?
    January 07, 2014 - 09:41

L. Locket
    January 07, 2014 - 09:33

One thing is certain to me, that Trevor Taylor doesn't comprehend the situation fully, nor appreciate the hardships of others. He is happy to condemn the seniors, and those on oxygen, or in wheelchairs for not being properly prepared! All the while being so smug about his own wonderful preparedness. NLHydro failed us badly by neglecting equipment, and not having sufficient capacity online. This was no weather issues, but neglect. And your smug lack of empathy is inappropriate Trev!

• ed
    January 07, 2014 - 09:32

Good for you sir, I take you do not have ageing parents who are disabled or a kid who needs medical attention or some other trivial facts of life that most ordinary folks encounter on a daily basis. Make sure your skidoo has nice heated seats and the grips are heated too. You certainly do not have grip on most other things.

• Dee
    January 07, 2014 - 09:29

I think you're confusing the term "complaining" with how democratic governance functions. It is not only our right, but our responsibility to keep the government in check. The government has the authority to make decisions on our behalf because we provide consent. When government actions are not adequate to handle public services, we have the right to tell the authority to smarten up. What you are suggesting in this article; staying quiet, just lie there and take it type attitude, is really very irresponsible.

• Christine C
    January 07, 2014 - 09:25

And yet again, the point is missed entirely. A power outage is not a crisis. Nor is your run-of-the-mill January storm. Both can be anticipated and planned for. What IS a crisis, however - and what I believe to be the basis of most complaints - is the apparent inability of the province's public utilities to generate and provide adequate electricity to the people of the province during a relatively minor weather event. That, of course, followed by an obscene lack of leadership from our Premier, who irresponsibly chose to stay silent until her electorate were into their fourth day of "rolling blackouts" and total power failures. Therein lies the real crisis.

• S Cole
    January 07, 2014 - 09:15

Taylor totally misses the point...our province cannot provide consistent power during high demand times bought on by low temp. Interesting is how his discourse reflects the discourse of govt.. focused on shifting blame, and creating political spin then on stepping up to the plate. Their greatest priority being themselves, they missed the ball and have shown their callous disregard for the people they represent.

• Keep on Truckin
    January 07, 2014 - 09:15

I think Tervor is still sour about not getting his name dropped in Sabrina Whyatt's new book. HAHAHAHA Trev B'y. Keep on keepin on Trevor B'y.

• Ken Collis
    January 07, 2014 - 08:56

Once a politician, always a politician. I wish government and Nalcor were less careless with our infastructure and well kept it up. At least one more person would be alive. And truthfully Mr. Taylor, did you really fill your bathtub with drinking water last weekend?

• Ben
    January 07, 2014 - 08:48

Great article Trevor...alot of people don't like to hear the truth. Its always easier to blame people than it is to take some responsiblity ourselves. We should all have some alternative when we turn on the switch and there is no light or heat...

• Dan W
      January 07, 2014 - 10:48

You do realize that your comment applies equally to the "columnist" Trevor Taylor, and his government's inability to take responsibility for this breakdown? And his subsequent complaining / blaming taxpayers for their rightful disappointment? Is your kool-aid spiked or something?

• Really Now
    January 07, 2014 - 08:29

Mr. Taylor, you should be ashamed of yourself. You had no idea when you were in government and you obviously have no idea now. You sir, are a poor excuse for a columnist.

• Thomas
    January 07, 2014 - 07:57

I have a woodstove, generator, water. We were warm and well fed. As were there 20-25 people whom we opened our doors to. Being prepared is one thing. This was NOT a weather event. This was an event caused by negligence of equipment and running the power grid on a wing and a prayer until Muskrat is up and running. And guess what - one good old fashioned ice storm, which we will have is enough to bring down the future Muskrat towers in the middle of nowhere in the Long Range Mountains.

• Sam
      January 07, 2014 - 11:56

Technically the huge power outage had to do with the fire at Sunnyside. These things happen and when they do there are going to be days before the power gets back. Just saying we all need to be a little more prepared.

• Mutt
      January 08, 2014 - 12:22

Safety and conservation, right from the mouths of Ed and Kathy. Does conservation not apply to money. A single mother who fails to conserve her money gets a bad name, maybe loses her child. A government who does the same throws growth parties for itself. Laws are made against beggars aggressive panhandling which could well protect us against conservative politicians. Does safety not apply to old people removed from care homes or children on buses or at home in the cold, regardless of Mr. Taylor's bay whopping, foppish scribblings? Hierarchy control of safety and conservation cannot be solved with all day kindergarten, smartmeters PPEs and digital thermostats. It is not only weak and stupid people who get mastered by poor governance, the quietly proud, proudly quiet cowards make it all happen. Ed and Kathy are just actors in a hydro masque. The media has the ability to shape opinions and inform attitudes. Get it?

• Johnathon
    January 07, 2014 - 07:30

Another voice from the past that wont go peacefully. If my recollection is correct, Trevor use to complain a lot. Unless he has something better to contribute to the problem with the utility, best keep quiet and not criticize the people affected.

• max
    January 07, 2014 - 07:22

of course, the 8 months of the year off season, that he didn't have to work, probably gave him adequate time to prepare. The average wage slave in a top floor apt out by the mall does not have the convenience's of your average fisher person.

• How about quit spinning?
    January 07, 2014 - 07:12

Is this guy for real? The outage was entirely preventable. Unless the public complains loudly, nothing changes. I say complain and keep complaining until the publicly owned asset is managed in a manner that serves the best interests of those that own it - not the politicians and their flunkies.

• SGW
    January 07, 2014 - 06:58

If only a "winter storm" had been the true cause. Newfoundlander's we've been "had".

• Dan W
    January 07, 2014 - 01:59

Yes, Trevor, and the backup "woodstove" for the Avalon peninsula would be a better power grid with some redundancies built in...your government had a chance to do it and failed. The people who complain have good reason to do so...try running again and see what your attitude gets you