Comments

Comments

• Alan Morris
    January 27, 2014 - 17:32

My wife and I are 82 yrs old I am a paraplegic and cannot take a walk down the street to get our mail, we do not under stand the computer system to pay bills and banking this is not fair to the elderly or shut ins

• Grand Banker
    January 21, 2014 - 06:28

Randy - in my opinion, you have missed the mark on this one. This issue is not about delivering profits - it is about how we have changed in the manner we communicate - and how this change has impacted letter postal service operations/volumes. The reality is that the letter mail service business is in decline and this is expected to continue. This decline is due to the emergence and overwhelming public acceptance and usage of electronic communications. This not an issue that can be slowed or reversed by a Canada Post pricing strategy. Traditional mail letter volumes will continue to decrease even if the service was provided free of charge. This traditional mail service does and cannot compete with the electronic communication which is available real time, cheaper and more convenient - it is a battle that has been lost and to compound this by continuing to incur the costs associated with a door to door service for a limited number of Canadians becomes very difficult if not impossible to support. To suggest that other profitable operations such as the parcel service be relied on to support a dying service is an irresponsible use of resources - not to mention addressing the larger issue of where will the dollars come from to help resolve Canada Post's unfunded pension liability of some $6.5 billion. Your comparison to Marine Atlantic would only make sense if the circumstances were the same or similar - this is not the case. Yes. while Marine Atlantic is a public service, it stops there, given it does not have a competing service that is cheaper, faster and more convenient and was being embraced by the vast majority of the public. If this were the case - similar to Canada Post - I think that taxpayers would expect or demand that the Federal Government act in a prudent manner towards ensuring "value for dollars/services"

• Look it up
    January 20, 2014 - 14:33

Canada Post is not broke. They simply made less this year than last year. They are not running in the red and haven't in years. Look it up. All of this is just a scam to make it appear that Canada Post is failing, so they can continue to privatize our postal service, gut the union jobs for contractors, and replace the retail stores with those you see in places like your local drug store where the employees make minimum wage, and bare minimum security clearance.

• Grand Banker
      January 21, 2014 - 05:12

If they are not broke and/or losing money - how do you rationalize the financial impact of Canada Post's $6.5 billion unfunded pension liability?

• Jeremy
    January 20, 2014 - 12:37

If you want me to campion for you to keep door to door, are you going to campaign for me to start getting door to door?

• Stephen
    January 20, 2014 - 10:11

I have Door to Door, I have no problem with them changing this service to a community mail box. I have no problem with this because I don't want to have to pay more money out of my pocket in taxes to subsidies the postal service the age of mail is going and will be gone soon.. already every company the sends you a bill printed is offering incentive to stop receiving by mail this bill. I do agree that the postal service should be Profit Neutral.. in that it should not make a buck.. But it should not cost a buck as well. But it should not be a service that pays dividends to investors.. every dollar made by this company from any of it’s divisions should be re-invested back into the people, business

• Xmas treason
    January 19, 2014 - 10:08

Canada Post is being butchered up for privatization, like Nalcor. CUPW think a 12' inflatable piggybank is a solution, and hides behind it as CPC management wreaks things and sinks morale. Wasting money toward an end is what Nalcor and Canada Post are doing, Ed and Deepak are not allowed to speak - suit dummies following script. Nalcor engineers bite their tongues for a pay cheque, after all, their comfort is looked after, new vehicles, new HVAC systems for the building - LEED energy. WOW. The past few years have been like cheque day for the white collar welfare recipients. Self fulfilling prophecy, perpetuated by augury from conservative bought "nonpartisan" think tanks and MUN stooges. The CPC executive management is psychologically busting the union, Nalcor is busting the citizens of this province. They both created artificial bluster around the Xmas season. Treason.

• Michael
    January 19, 2014 - 04:58

Randy, This is all well and good, that is if you provide door to door mail service in all urban areas. I live in Paradise on a 60 foot wide lot. Our houses are the same distance from each other yet we get worse mail service than a resident of St. John's or Mt Pearl. A simple solution here is to give all tax payers the option to either pick up mail via the community box or pay the extra $200 per year or whatever it costs for full service. Otherwise, i applaud the efforts of Canada Post to provide the same service to all taxpayers.

• Jeff
      January 19, 2014 - 12:42

We don't have a health clinic where I live. I don't think you should either unless you pay a premium.

• PHILIP C.
    January 18, 2014 - 22:29

I,AGREE WITH WHAT MR.SIMM*S SAID,CANADA POST... DELIVER SERVICE NOT PROFITS ...YOUR RETORIC JUST DON*T WASH MR. HARPER., WITH THE PEOPLE OF CANADA...YOU WORK FOR US THE CANADIAN PUBLIC...SEE YOU AT THE BALLOT BOX...UPALONG.

• saelcove
      January 19, 2014 - 10:07

Any luck at all cbc will be next

• Harry
      January 19, 2014 - 13:32

Hey, Philip, Who will you blame for the sun being not so hot as expected this year, the PM or the Premier? BTW, I have to travel 13 kms to get my mail.