Discrimination dressed up as religious rights

Peter
Peter Jackson

I thought twice about writing this column. Not because it’s a trivial issue, or too controversial, but because there should be no need for it.

Last week, the Newfoundland Herald got in hot water by publishing a letter to the editor in which a U.S. evangelical blogger (the Internet is awash in such creatures) lamented that homosexuals are ruining everything for good Christians.

Some readers were outraged. One activist launched a human rights complaint.

The blogger then reacted to the reaction. It’s a recurring narrative which, frankly, is becoming a bit threadbare.

When Mr. Garden Variety Anti-Gay Fundamentalist discovered his letter caused a scandal, he had a field day.

“The left is anything if not predictable,” he wrote gleefully. “It tickles me to no end when, by way of their utterly unhinged reaction to one of my columns, secular ‘progressives’ end up proving true the very point I was trying to make.”

Progressive leftists, you see, are predictable. Not like U.S. evangelicals, who are a diverse and deep-thinking lot. It would be presumptious to think, for example, that a Christian right pundit in the U.S. would probably be gun-obsessed.

Except that this particular one began his missive with a mass shooting metaphor. Let’s call it, the Parable of the Ivory Tower Progressive,

As our story begins, a maniacal liberal is picking off pesky Christians from his lofty perch with a “smoking sniper rifle” as they “scatter for cover behind the word of God and the U.S. Constitution.”

The moral: progressives are violent and deranged, whereas Christians are just ordinary people — “the baker, the photographer, the florist, the innkeeper, the Christian school administrator, etc.”

Think about that. Not only are lefties homicidal, but also have a hard time holding down honest employment. Real menaces to society.

But let’s get to the meat of the matter.

A recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling has already thrown doubt on its constitutionality.

But our blogger is still not satisfied.

“Where your desire, intense though it may be, for me to employ you despite your antagonistic values system, pay for your abortion, or host, photograph or otherwise bake a rainbow cake for your faux ‘wedding,’ comes into conflict with my absolute right to religious liberty, the result is a foregone conclusion. … I win, you lose.”

OK, that does it. It’s one thing not to hire me or pay for my abortion, but he won’t even bake me a cake or take a snapshot? Worst boss ever!

Seriously, this letter is pretty tame by hate speech standards.

Want to see real hate? Check out a documentary by Roger Ross Williams called “God Loves Uganda.” The feature-length film shows how a cabal of U.S. anti-gay zealots exported their hatred of gays to Uganda and incited leaders to enact draconian legislation.

Check out a pastor named Scott Lively, who peddles incendiary fantasies about homosexuals and equates them with everything from Nazis to Communists.

He’s is being sued in a U.S. court by a coalition of Ugandans for his part in spreading lies and inflaming hatred against gays in their country.

Meanwhile, back in North America, gay-haters are gradually losing relevance. This recent lobby for religious rights is primarily a desperate attempt to turn the tables.

The fact remains, you can believe homosexuals are sinful if you want, but that doesn’t give you the right to actively discriminate against them.

The real gay agenda is quite simple: stop making pariahs out of the LGBT community and let them participate in society as equals.

Is that too much to ask?

Peter Jackson is The Telegram’s

commentary editor. Email: pjackson@thetelegram.com.

Organizations: Christian school, U.S. Supreme Court

Geographic location: U.S., Uganda, North America

Comments

Comments

• A Double Standard World!
    August 14, 2014 - 15:06

Article states: "The whole piece was mostly about U.S. health legislation that compels employers to include abortion and contraception in their health insurance. " AND don't forget it was also about cohabiting homosexuals who were living in a marriage arrangement, where upon the death of one of them pensions had to be paid to the surviving member . Both government and corporations were against that very burden-some cost to them and their bottom line. They were not at all against recognizing homosexuals as such, since there are as many represented in government and business as there are in any other part of the population, but they who worked , in government and corporations, didn't have to worry about where the next meal was coming from since they are mostly part of the one-per centers. They didn't mind keeping others down though.

• seanoairborne
      August 15, 2014 - 15:24

Do you work for a so-called one percenter? Or is that bum down the street giving you a job and putting food on your table? Or are you a bum living on the Government (taxpayer) dime? Inquiring minds want to know?

• A Double Standard World!
      August 18, 2014 - 10:32

Get over your prejudices seanoairborne. They are a gender that has always being here since the beginning of time so why ignore them and make their life miserable? They have been driven to do things to be accepted, that obviously your gender didn't have to resort to for acceptance, not only in society but in the social programs government dole out.

• seanoairborne
    August 13, 2014 - 17:07

They make "pariahs" out of themselves they don't need any help! When was the last time you seen a Heterosexual Pride Parade? NEVER!! That's because Heterosexuals keep their sex lives to themselves! What does my sex life have to do with my job, the friends or relatives that I have or any other "normal" undertakings?Again!NOTHING! It is the Gay community who choose to ram their sexual proclivities down everybody else's throats! They don't want equal rights they want special rights and dupes like you buy into the red herrings, hook , line and sinker. I don't need any lectures from Progressive idiots to know the difference between right and wrong! And any time you have to advertise your sexual proclivities in order to get attention and acceptance, that's wrong! I hope your ready for Polygamy, buster, or incest like an Australian judge just ruled that there is nothing wrong with that either as long as you are two consenting adults! This world has become an abomination of sexual perversion because of people just like you! But,please, continue writing your tripe like the typical Goofy Newfie you are!

• Chantal
      August 14, 2014 - 08:37

So, would I offend you if I held hands with my partner walking down the street? Would you feel all threatened? Would that be ramming something down your throat? I wouldn't want anything to be rammed down your throat, army boy.

• seanoairborne
      August 14, 2014 - 14:25

Chantal.....YES YOU WOULD!!

• seanoairborne
      August 14, 2014 - 14:36

Chantal.... I'm proud to be an "army boy" and not a freak of nature like some on here.

• Chantal
      August 14, 2014 - 19:09

So the proud army boy gets his panties in knot seeing people holding hands... Pathetic.

• Paul J
      August 15, 2014 - 07:30

'me think he doth protest too much'...why are you afraid the gay community is 'ramming something down your throat' as you put it. Pride parades are meant to bring them to the same level as the 'hetero community', to bring awareness to their community and show themselves and everyone else that they have nothing to be ashamed of. why do you feel threatened by that? or by two same sex partners holding hands?

• Devon Row
      August 15, 2014 - 08:38

Hey, careful, Paul, Chantal, and all you Goofy Newfies. "Seanoairbourne" shows time and time again that his intellecutal prowess is... shall I say 'exceptional?' I just hope he isn't in our army!

• seanoairborne
      August 15, 2014 - 15:19

Paul J, Chantal, Devon Row, etc,etc,etc, I was wondering when you were going to answer the queries that I put forth in my blog? What's to matter? Between all of you there isn't one with the brain or intellectual capacity to challenge me on the issue! You're not even good name callers!That's exactly what I mean by "Goofy Newfes"! I continue to get a good chortle out of your puny nonsensical freaky comments, though! Keep em coming !!!LOL

• Non-militaristic.
      August 18, 2014 - 17:34

Maybe you are too militaristic and you need to soften up a little bit.

• Paul
    August 13, 2014 - 09:10

When you offer comment on this subject, it seems you are branded as either "for us or against us", so just for the record let me say I'm all for equality! That being said I think your article unfairly characterizes Christians as a quite an unbalanced lot. It is in my view, kind of ironically, very intolerant itself. The Biblical issues around this debate are complex and can result in rigid positions. In most cases though most people, myself included try to look at the issue with a view to loving thy neighbor. That being said I hesitate to brand other views as hysterical