Comments

Comments

• Margaret Lymburner
    March 10, 2011 - 11:37

I love Targa! I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives. It brings not only money into our province but a sense of community. It gives us a chance to show off our wonderful province and its people. I volunteered at Targa 2010 and it was a great experience. It made me so proud to see the community of volunteers (Marystown) really come together. I was very impressed to see so many youth volunteering. It is a wonderful thing! My parents always told me, "If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all". If you do not enjoy the Targa event, then do not particiapte. Do not watch. But, please, do not ruin it for everyone else!

• keith smith
    March 08, 2011 - 18:01

In Boat Hr.West Targa becomes a community event.Last year the Trailer Park Boys, The injured soldiers etc.were a big hit for this tiny community.Not often in remote areas like this do we have the opportunity to cater to celebrities.In the past Targa seems to bring the community alive with excitement and fun.We have come to know it as Targa Weekend captivated with a live band and adult dance on Saturday night. We are proud of the participants(contestants) remarks about our communities and remarkable scenery.

• Martha Vail
    March 08, 2011 - 13:21

As the co-driver of car #503 (a Porsche, interestingly enough), I'd like to share some thoughts in this debate. First, Targa could indeed be a significant opportunity for economic development if Newfoundland's various played it right. For example, our team spent a week before and after the race vacationing in Newfoundland and I know many other competitors consider the race as one part of a longer holiday in your beautiful province. (Thank you to the Monastery Inn and Spa for sheltering us during Hurricane Igor.) Ever since I returned to Colorado, I've encouraged friends and family to plan a trip, because Newfoundland is an incredible, not-yet spoiled and not-so-far off the beaten track place for adventure travellers. But there doesn't seem to have been much market research done for tourism in NLD; no coverage of Gros Morne in the travel section of the Denver Post or articles about the fantastic sea kayaking. Right now, the link to www.newfoundlandand labrador.com is down. Come on--how are people who might want to visit and spend their money supposed to find you? Secondly, Newfoundlanders struck me as incredibly generous people; none of the racers takes for granted the use of their roads or the hospitality of the communities. Yes, the racing was great, but the breakfast in Harbour Mille served by its gracious women and the lunch in Brookfield with the fantastic kids at the school and the little ones in the nursery waving us off at the start are what really stand out in my memories of Targa 2011. The incredible number of volunteers for the event is also something we were awed by and grateful for. That's why I, and many other racers, contributed to Hurricane Igor relief efforts. We all worried about the safety of the bystanders, and of private property. Everyone competing in the Targa division has a competition license, which means we care a lot about the safety of observers, of our cars and of ourselves. If public safety and protection of property are a concern, work with race organizers to create stronger safety measures. As a navigator, I didn't see much during the stages themselves, but in reviewing our film since I've seen several instances of kids in out-of-bounds areas, close to course run-offs. If communities are concerned, where are the parents and law enforcement? Thirdly, I'm not rich--I scrimped and saved and worked overtime to realize my dream of racing in Targa Newfoundland. My co-driver and I have been invited to give presentations about our race by car clubs all over Colorado, and so many people say it's their dream, too. That's what the reputation of this race is. It's unique in this hemisphere--a hemisphere full of racers who are hoping to someday have an opportunity to compete in a race that's on its way to being legendary. Maybe the residents of Le Mans didn't like the racers or the public investment in track improvements in the first ten years, either. $75,000 is, in itself, not an inconsiderable amount of money. But it's a very cheap investment with a good chance of substantial return. Travel and tourism generate sustainable and grow-able revenue--even during recessions.

• Mike
    March 05, 2011 - 10:32

Never did understand it either...why does it need $75,000 in Government money . Come on guys, have some pride, if you drive a Porshe and ship it all over the world , why not chip in $1000 each and avoid the indignity of accepting Government money

• John Smith
    March 04, 2011 - 14:37

I am a big fan of organized motorsports, and have travelled around the world to attend events. This is not organized motorsprts. This is a group of wealthy individuals, who travel around the world looking for people who are stupid enough, or desparate enough, to let them drive through their communities at speed. Here they found both. This activity should be banned. If people want to watch a race go to a track. No track? Build one.

• cant believe it
    March 04, 2011 - 09:59

never did get this? can t believe somebody; watching; pedstrian; a local not killed yet; ONLY JUST MATTER OF TIME I WOULD SAY seen this cars go flying over peoples lawns yards flying all over the road; its just MADNESS: the heights of foolishness; absolutely BONKERS; it just unbelieveable that this crowd of children are allowed to come in to this province and drive like IMBICELS; maniacs all over rural back roads

• Robert Taylor
    March 04, 2011 - 09:37

What bleeding heart B/S. The province should forget the study which is a waste of money. The benefits from Targa NL are very significant. I would suggest the indirect marketing benefits are most important. But there is always someone trying to put a negative spin on this unique event.