Comments

Comments

• Anthony
    April 29, 2013 - 22:12

Another great article. The Labrador Flag represents Labrador as it should whereas the N.F.L.D flag supposedly represents N.F.L.D . Over the years I have asked many of my Island neighbours what the symbols meant on their flag and not many could tell me. thats a pity really because if you fly a flag you should know what it means. on the other hand the majority of Labradorians can explain the meaning of their flag . I would just like to add that I am also a firm believer that Labrador can and should stand on its own. I mean no disrespect to our Island friends but I think both areas would be better off in the long run.

• Edward Power
    March 07, 2011 - 09:03

Thank you ,Michael, for another thought provoking article. The customs associated with the display of flags, their order of precedence and other details are the responsibility of the Governor Generals office. I will assume that the Labrador flag is not a "recognized" flag and therefore is not to be officially displayed. It would be a protocol faux pas to have one province represented by two flags. I might be wrong on this. I think the Labrador flag should replace the Union Jack on Provincial monuments and markers, and the Union Jack as the flag of a foriegn nation, be reserved for Royal visits and other official State occassions. On a related note, what is the official status of the Acadian flag that flies throughout the Maritimes, and doesit fly on Provincial monuments and buildings? Perhaps there is a precedent there for our Labrador flag. In any event, seeing the Union Jack flying on the Labrador/Quebec border must have more than a few people scratching their heads.

• Brian
    March 05, 2011 - 13:35

Okay folks, use a little smarts here will ya? The point of this article isnt to encourage any kind of separation between Labrador and Newfoundland! It's purpose is to make points about the obvious imbalance between government services, infrastructure, etc. These dumb comments about the newfoundland flag somehow representing labrador just goes to show what misinformed side of the argument you people are on! BTW, I am proud to say that One of my grandparents is from the island! It's too bad you ppl give Newfies a bad name by reinforcing the old stereotype! Try reading things in context next time...there are night courses on how to do that ya know! :) Also, not everyone in the world is about materialism! plenty of Labradorians are not ready to trade the environment for money!!!!!

• Ursula Dowler
      March 05, 2011 - 14:38

@Brian , the first "lesson" you have to learn is not to question a person's intelligence . Anything said here can only be subjective , it is not up to you to "school" these folks . Your passive aggressive behaviour does nothing to encourage further debate .

• Nessie
    March 05, 2011 - 11:50

Michael Johansen: Thanks for writing this article, and I agree with all your points, but I truly wish it didn't have to be written. Actually my heart is breaking today that it had to come to this juncture. I am wondering why were our provincial and federal politicians so complacent in the lacking of understanding which allowed to happen what you have pointed out in your column today to our beautiful and bountiful Labrador and its people. Why did our politicians overlook our colleagues from Labrador viewpoints on matters concerning them? I don't know but I guess it is for the same reason they overlooked the electorate of the Newfoundland part of the province, as well. When politicians gain power they think that they own the whole kit and kaboddle over which they rule and think they can do anything they want. If that weren't so, why, then, did the province of Newfoundland and Labrador's bountiful natural resource base grow vibrant economies in the other provinces of Canada and the World to a tune of tens of Billions of dollars annually, while we in this province languished with upwards, at times of a 20% Unemployment rate. For the past 62 years we have had to carry the awful distinction of having the highest Unemployment rate in Canada, despite the fact we are only 500,000 people and we were endowed by Nature with so many great natural resources and a great location. It didn't have to happen! Our ex and present politicians need to come clean on this. We really need to know why they made a mess of an economy that could have been the best economy in the World if they had done things rights. Come on Newfoundlanders and Labradorians speak up against this inequity!

• Ursula Dowler
    March 05, 2011 - 10:57

Some people actually like to tear down flags . Flags are like apple pie and motherhood , we bring them out when we need to bury something under an emotional blanket . I have nothing against flags and I love Labrador . The people of Labrador have been taken advantage of for a very long time . I resided in the Big Land forty years ago and it breaks my heart to see her people still struggling to be heard . The people of Labrador ( this beautiful and bountiful land) should be its stewards , not a handful of politicians and greedy capitalists . Excellent article Michael .

• David
    March 05, 2011 - 09:33

The province with 500,000 people cannot take care of itself, how in the world would Labrador with the population of Corner Brook take care of itself. By the way the current flag is the provincial flag, not the Newfoundland flag. Also, if the province is divisible then so is Labrador. Goose Bay 's dream is to be the St. John's of Labrador, so why would Lab west or the coast want to support them.

• Penney
    March 05, 2011 - 09:07

The provincial flag of Newfoundland and Labrador reflects the heritage of both Newfoundland and Labrador. If Labrador were independent someone else would rewrite the above column griping about whether or not the Innu, Inuit, Metis flags, or any variation on a settler flag, was properly or improperly flown or not. No doubt the province could do better by Labrador but Balkanization will just lead to different problems and not necessarily greater prosperity, etc.