Comments

Comments

• Paul D Ryan
    April 23, 2011 - 10:26

It's interesting that the conditions for posting do not seem to apply to the editorial staff: "We ask that users remain courteous. You may not post insulting, discriminatory or inappropriate content, which may be removed at our discretion." Brian Jones diatribe was hardly fair comment. I seem to recall sitting in a restaurant back in 1983 next to a whiny little pompous nerd who couldn't stop caterwauling about the injustices of being unemployed when so many lesser educated people were making so much money doing nothing more than manual labour. I can't prove it was Brian Jones, but if it looks looks a smarmy weasel and writes like one ............ I expect more from a publication such as the Telegram than ad hominem attacks based solely upon speculation and fabrication.

• Herbert Morrison
    April 22, 2011 - 08:17

As I watch Watching the likes of Harper, Ignatieff, and Layton strut their stuff on the political stage, during the current election campaign, it will be n mystery to me if the voter apathy, demonstrated by the significant numbers of Canadians who didn't execerise their right to vote in the last Federal Electionn, was to be a factor when the votes are tallied this time around on election day. I expressed the viewpoint in this media on another occasion that choosing among Harper, Ignatieff, or Laytron, to be Prime Minister, is a choice between tweedle dee and tweedle dum. The three afore-mentioned leaders lack the kind of public appeal that politicians such as Pierre Trudeau, Joey Smallwood, Danny Williams demonsatrated. Regardless of whethert or not you loved these men or hated the ground they walked on, they were whio and what they were. What you saw is what you got. I believe autthenticity aptly describes Pierre, Joey, and Danny. Harper, Ignatieff, and Laytonthe politicians, are nothing more than the creations of some perhaps overpaid public relations gru. From the carefully staged photo opts to their feeble attemps to be everyones best friend, its so phony.. Effectively written article, Brian, hoowever, it might have been more effective if it were not partisan. Why, because,, Harper, Ignatieff, and Layton are all "tarred with the one brush."

• G Pike
    April 22, 2011 - 02:16

How anyone in NL could vote Conservative I don't know. Harper pulled the wool over our eyes last time when he reneged on a signed agreement regarding our offshore. He proved he can't be trusted and will say and do anything for our vote. And then to add insult to injury we had to watch the smirking Fabian Manning at Harpers right hand in the House of Commons while Harper repeated the lie that he gave NL what had been agreed to. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on us. Vote for NL, vote ABC!

• Concerned Newfoundlander
    April 21, 2011 - 23:36

Most people don't even know why they shouldn't trust Harper. You people just hear other people say he broke a bunch of promises to NL and then believe it yourselves. If anybody actually knew anything about equalization, they would know that it is CONSTITUTIONAL. Danny Williams failed to inform the people of Newfoundland and Labrador with all the facts. The federal government was constiitutionally obligated to go the way they did with the equalization issue. Danny became royally pissed off that he didn't get his way so he decided to try and destroy Stephen Harper like he has done with numerous others. Maybe everybody should educate yourselves on equalization, which is very hard to do by the way, and then ask yourselves unbiasedly what Stephen Harper actually did and why he is so awful. Most people don't know.

• james
    April 21, 2011 - 16:06

when it comes to political parties could some one tell me who to trust

• Burt Fearon
    April 21, 2011 - 14:27

This paper is obviously liberal garbage. Just my opinion.

• ron
    April 21, 2011 - 13:52

They called me too.. When she asked I responded.. How cold is it? She paused and said ... what do you mean? I said not cold enough for hell to freeze over.. that's when STEVE-O will get my vote...

• ron
    April 21, 2011 - 13:48

well said Brian Jones, desk editor.. Maybe now you won't have to audition for a job with Metrobus after all

• mary
    April 21, 2011 - 11:53

Jack Layton is not PM material, he is good at what he does but he just won't cut it as PM. I will go for the Liberals, really believe they are the best choice. Has everyone heard that the Harper Gov't is going to stop supporting Planned Parenthood. That comes from the mouth of a SK Con candidate and was reported on another news site. They won't stop until all women are pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen, forget about healthy pregnancies and so much more.

• Jackie
    April 21, 2011 - 11:37

@ Robert thats my opinion too. Go Jack Layton Go

• MoneyBags
    April 21, 2011 - 10:33

For one, a bachelors degree is all you need to be economist. A Phd just means that you have become specialized in some field of economics such as welfare economics, health economics, or environmental economics. That's right there are fields in economics that are social based, obviously Jones is not aware of that and probably neither is Harper.

• Robert Taylor
    April 21, 2011 - 09:30

The Harper regime has to go. Giving this individual a majority would be the worst thing that could happen to this country. Dictatorial, secretive, abusive, arrogant and an outright bunch of liars characterize this lot. We need a PM with integrity, honesty and who actually cares about the plight of ordinary Canadians and Harper has all but 3 of those qualities. Jack Layton is the best leader of the bunch and Harper is the worst.

• Taxpayer
    April 21, 2011 - 08:24

I could be proven wrong (hard evidence please not supposition), but I would say that most economic oracles from the major banks only have a Masters degrees much like the MBA's who are touted as knowing it all.

• Jackie
    April 21, 2011 - 07:49

Well I wont be voting for harper. He has broke to many promises and clearly can not be trusted. If they phoned me I would not even consider.