Comments

Comments

• Anna
    September 14, 2011 - 12:43

For one full week we had to listen to the media talk about Saint Jack Layton but at least we could change channels. With the 9-11 it was awful so I gave up tv and radio for a week. The media is over exposing everything these days thinking the more info we receive the better we like it. I thought I would get sick when I found out Rex Murphy had gone to Gander for his radio show. Great article as usual Russell.

• t
    September 14, 2011 - 08:53

I agree with you.

• JAIME BRENNAN
    September 13, 2011 - 18:32

I made it a point not to watch any 9/11 programming on the weekend and leading up to the weekend. We all lived throught that horrible day, whether you be an American or an Irishmen. We watched, we morned, and we got angry. Ten years later, it is still just as devestating but I chose not to induldge in the media vomit. Instead I enjoyed my day, looked at the things surrounding me and thanked the stars I am Canadian.

• John S
    September 13, 2011 - 17:10

Russell, I'm kind of suprised by your attitude. You may be right about the hoopla in general, If I have to hear one more story about how great the people of Gander were I think I may hurl. However 343 of my brothers and sisters died on that day, the most that ever died in a single day. Not to mention the police officers and paramedics Thats more than died on any given day duiring The Blitz. You will excuse me if I and my brethern might wish to hold a parade and memorial service to honour their sacrifice on the 10th anniversary of their deaths

• Wescol
    September 13, 2011 - 14:59

All good points to make Russell. I found the week(s) of coverage on this topic to be almost distasteful, and a distraction from the sorrow of the original day. There was a boat that sank this past week (somewhere else), with hundreds of souls aboard. What coverage did that receive? The famine in Somalia is a heart-breaking event that's been unfolding. How much of the famine's underlying cause was a result of why 9-11 happened? The conflicts in that region of Africa are often causing grief to the Somalis and the citizens of other countries. Can death by starvation and illness even be compared with jumping from towers, or being crushed by the building's collapse? The end result is the loss of thousands or hundreds of thousands of lives. Perhaps a better remembrance of 9-11 is to be more courteous and patient to other people's beliefs and circumstances.

• Agreed
    September 13, 2011 - 13:01

You've voiced the key thoughts of many of the silent majority .It was be coming mawkish, grotesque , and overly-self congratulatory, particularly in NL .

• not imporatant
    September 13, 2011 - 10:32

Well said, Russell. Exacltly my though also. Way too much publiclity in the 9-11, all they are looking for is awards for the best coverage for there station. I did not watch the ceremonies on Sunday. There is no respect today, none whatsoever.

• Tim
    September 13, 2011 - 10:30

Good point on the Somalian famine. NOBODY talks about that.

• Chantal
      September 13, 2011 - 13:18

The problem with "those people" are that they are the wrong colour, the wrong religion, and somehow culpable for their situation. In fact, even mentioning that anyone else in the world is any more threatened that we are, especially on this holy week, is downright anti-American.

• Politically Incorrect
      September 14, 2011 - 06:55

What isn't widely reported is that, the vast of the Jihadist movement roundly condemned, the 9-11 attacks. The US could have used the opportunity to divide the movement by accepting the Taliban's tentative offer to surrender Bin Laden to a neutral third country. However, in its characteristic fashion, the US opted for an all out terrorist (terrorism being defined as "the calculated use of violence or threat of violence to attain goals that are political, religious, or ideological in nature...through intimidation, coercion, or instilling fear.") to attack on the people of Iraq and Afghanistan thus negating any goodwill in the wake of 9-11. In essence, Bush was Bin Laden's best ally. The only real victors in this were the American arms and security industries.

• mom
    September 13, 2011 - 10:27

I have to agree with you. I often wonder how the families of those lost feel watching this coverage. I think it must be truly awful for them to relive the moments when they lost their loved ones. I think that a remembrance should be more respectful of those that were lost and more sympathetic to those left behind.