Comments

Comments

• jeremiah
    November 11, 2011 - 07:55

The "N" word was first used by the British during WW1. It was used as a condescending insult and to demean Newfoundlanders who volunteered to fight for the empire. This resulted in Newfoundlanders being given the sshort end of the stick by their British officers. The insulting "N" word was picked up by the Americans during WW2 to degrade Newfoundlanders working on the various bases throughout the province. After confederation in 1949 its was used by other "Canadians" to describe Newfoundlanders as dumb, lazy and stupid. This practice continues. Any Newfoundlander who uses this insulting word should think about its history and feel ashamed.

• Quinn
    November 10, 2011 - 23:19

As someone who lived on the mainland from the 1960s thru 1990s, I think I only ever heard a few Newfie jokes (a few too many mind you), and that was way back in the '60s. Newfie jokes are not appropriate, and neither are jokes that target other specific groups of people. In my previous post, I was merely trying to point that out in a somewhat sarcastic way.

• Don Lester
    November 10, 2011 - 13:19

Excellent Peter, you hit the nail right on the head. As far as Axle is concerned, it's so nice to see he follows up on our news items. I'd rather be called a "dumb newfie" then a "dumb twit" like you.

• Willy
    November 10, 2011 - 08:46

Hey Quinn what planet you living on my boy you certainly have not worked in this country where there are any NL'ers working with main landers or you would be well aware we have been taking it for years and continue to take it. Be quiet if you don't know what you are talking about.

• wavy
    November 10, 2011 - 07:49

Mr. Jackson, you, like so many others during this whole debacle, have decided to interpret and spin this incident into something it isn't- an accusation of infringement on an individual's right to freedom of speech. Nobody is arguing against a person's right to freely express their thoughts in this country. In fact, I'll do just that right now: what Crosbie said was insensitive, offensive and ignorant and has no place in Government House, under any circumstances. Period. To raise the question of freedom of thought and expression is taking the context of this debate way outside of the situation and twisting it into something it is not. It's a pathetically frail spin, at best.

• Scott Free
    November 09, 2011 - 14:01

I'm a proud Newfie with a keen sense of wit and humour and can tolerate, to some degree, off colour jokes and mildly suggestive racist comments when made tongue in cheek. My problem is that JC has so many places at the Tory trough; retire man, and let someone else slurp up the goodies and indulge in some political plums. JC, you're way past your best before date; are you that starved for a bit of attention?

• David
    November 09, 2011 - 13:19

Haa ha ha...our representative of the Queen tells racist jokes at public events, and many people listening to him laughed at his racist joke. Isn't it great that we pay such enormous piles of money for these privileged, elitist buffoons to publicly represent us to the world as backwards, clueless hicks? Such a bargain!

• Stop using and printing the Derogatoiry "N" Word
    November 09, 2011 - 12:58

Axle I agree with your thoughts, but I do not agree with the use of the derogatory 'N' Word to describe our Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.

• Political watcher
    November 09, 2011 - 12:51

Spot on Peter, hit the nail on the head. To Axle, lighten up; as a "dumb Newfie" I can laugh at myself just as well as at others.

• Quinn
    November 09, 2011 - 11:24

Fine and dandy Peter. But if Newfoundlanders want to dish it out, they also need to be able to take it. Did you hear the one about the Newfie ....

• axle
    November 09, 2011 - 10:11

A knee jerk reaction, the only jerk here is crosby and the dumb newfies who agree with him