Comments

Comments

• mary
    January 24, 2012 - 12:39

I agree with most of the article, this turkey drive thing is out of control. I also turned off the radio for the month of December. There is a bigger issue here and it is not going to be solved by giving out turkeys once a year. Who decided that Turkeys make christmas anyway? Turkeys are a responsibility, you need a big oven, a big pan, and the skills and hours to cook it. The idea that giving all those turkeys once a year is enough, makes me crazy. Who gets all those turkeys and do they really want them or would they rather a loaf of bread and can of coke or a bag of lentils and rice? I am glad you wrote this letter to just get people talking about the issue and raise awareness to the bigger issue of poverty in this province.

• s parsons
    January 08, 2012 - 21:33

I agree with mr. wakeham's comments. The daily hype over the turkeys was so bloody annoying. Who at cbc is in charge of the news? First, the big 'to do' over John Crosbie's joke was their 'top news story' and then the endless 'turkey talk'. Who at cbc is responsible for deciding that such drivel is 'news'?

• mary
    January 08, 2012 - 21:01

No mention of the "Warm Heart" project which the Telegram is supporting. May be more low key, however, it is in support of a charity. So, please, take a look at yourself before you judge another! Or, at least, acknowledge that you do the same!

• Maggy Carter
    January 07, 2012 - 15:52

Wakeham is absolutely right on this one. Bereft of funds and talent, the CBC outpost in Newfoundland has increasingly resorted to cheap carnival stunts to keep their numbers from falling even further behind the competition. Almost a third of the evening newscast is now taken over with viewer comments in response to the pleadings of the host after the first story. Rather than lead with hard news, which often they don't have or which other media have already reported, CBC is given to stories that appeal to the most base instincts of viewers. One such example was a report of a fatal accident that same day involving a visitor from Ontario followed by the question to viewers "Do you think driving habits in this city have gotten worse in recent years?". This without any police report on the cause of the accident. Why not ask them if they're against death and taxes while you're at it? This is not so much a reflection on individual reporters. They no longer have the mandate, the resources or the encouragement to seek out real news on issues of vital importance to the province.

• CBC and other News Agencies need to air the truth
    January 07, 2012 - 15:11

I am not against the collection of turkeys for those who need them and I know there will always be a need with some people who truly cannot fend for themselves for one reason or another, and I don't mind who collects them for the needy. I do agree with what Mr. Wakeham alluded to in a general sense, that the CBC would come across as a more credible news broadcaster if it practiced tough and investigative journalism. And if through that type of journalism it pointed out to its adherents that the province of Newfoundland and Labrador should never have been on the receiving end of government handouts. If the CBC decides to point out that the province of Newfoundland and Labrador was endowed by Nature with one of the best stores of Natural Resources and Great Geographical Locations in the World, but the problem withe the lack of economy here for the best part of 62 years was created when our' overseers' politicians saw to it that some other place in Canada or the World became the Primary Beneficiary of those wonderful Natural Resources in the Raw State and thus they were the ones who built the vibrant economies. I think with that type of journalism Mr. Wakeham would like to see instituted, matters would work themselves out very quickly for the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Canadians, in general, need to be told what happened to their sister province, Newfoundland and Labrador, and that they falsely accused it of begging when instead the other provinces were shafting ours. As long as the News Agencies of the World refuse to air the truth, the one per cent of the World's population will continue to hold 95 per cent of the Wealth that is generated.

• Anna
    January 07, 2012 - 14:48

Bob, I called CBC four times to complain about the turkey marathon and finally I had to stop listening and switch to another radio station. I couldn't believe Anthony Germain woud lower himself to this drivel as it seemed to take over the morning show. I wondered where the over 7000 familes were that couldn't afford $20 for a turkey, I know there is a need for food banks but seriously 7000 turkeys for the Avalon! I can only hope this will be the last year but unfortuntely we have the pancake breakfast to live through. 97.5 is starting to sound better all the time.

• mary
      January 08, 2012 - 20:46

Anna, there are many who cannot afford the $20. for a turkey and I wouldn't be surprised if 7000 of them are on "the Avalon." It was my understanding that the collected turkeys were being distributed through the Food Sharing Assoc., and, thus, some of those 7000 were probably eaten by low income people in other parts of the province.

• David
    January 07, 2012 - 14:39

Journalism in Newfoundland doesn't exist. Anyone or oganization that wants air time simply calls up either CBC or NTV and a sympathetic, softball interview is scheduled to cover their plight. No questions asked at all, let alone hard or probing questions. The closest one could hope to get to a more 'even' airing of most issues is if some other person or group then calls up the same organization and arranges for a 'rebuttal' in the next few days. But heaven forbid the involved journalist play devil's advocate, or act like some sort of, oh I don't know....objective, inquisitive third party. So...why in the world do we keep pursuing Lower Churchill power when we clearly prefer to be left in the dark!?

• DCA
    January 07, 2012 - 14:11

Totally agree.

• I Loves Nfld
    January 07, 2012 - 08:52

Couldn't agree more, Robert my son. And the fact that there was no mention of your alcoholic past was a refreshing bonus.

• MBC
    January 07, 2012 - 08:17

Excellent article. I agree 100 % ! The news media should not be involved in fund raising they should be reporting on it.