Comments

Comments

• Derek
    June 08, 2012 - 00:31

So True: There have been a few waves in the past of domestic & foreign operations, industries involved in mining, fishing, merchandising, production, harvesting & processing that have caused wages drop, environmental degradation for operations they have taken over/developed & existing competitors in NL and across Canada. Now it is looking like "Harper's Canada resource/product sale with no end to it" guaranteed to lower wages bring in 3rd class "work immigrants" (who often are afraid of unions and exercising basic human rights to protect themselves and others from exposures to hazardous conditions/chemicals in workplaces for fear of being sent back). There will undoubtedly be a large number with language and communications barriers also. Sounds like the sales pitches & agreements have already been made to US, China, Brazil and any other country that wants cheap oil, minerals and raw materials. Employment program for Chinese, Brazilians etc. in their new companies with their own people seems to be getting put in place quite well..... Where many will get to design & build the pipelines, industrial infrastructure with us also. Get jobs as "security guards" to protect their countries interest of product flow out of country and soon hired to stop protesters standing up for rights and environment. We can expect to see a larger growth in personnel agencies also where they will handle the processing of staffing for industries. The negative impacts of this agenda are surely immense on individual, community and social well being that will effect our children's futures for sure.

• a business man
    June 07, 2012 - 21:08

I do not think that these policies will drive down wages for all, but I do think that they will drive down the wages for unskilled uneducated workers, and I think this is a good thing. I am very happy with the changes to the foreign worker program and to EI. It ultimately mean more money for my family and investors. I worked very hard to build my companies, and get to higher cheaper workers. I will make lots more money, and pay lots more in taxes to support the systems like health care that serve us all. I will put more money into the tax base that support all of us by cutting out a few hundred local workers. Honestly, it seems fair to me.....A few hundred workers lose their jobs, and more money goes to support the services of a few hundred thousand citizens. it works for everyone except the few hundred workers. Of course, I could not do this to a skilled educated engineer, accountant, programmer, teacher, or scientist, but I can do this to the unskilled uneducated worker who contribution can be replicated with minimal effort. And while I may be condemned for my decisions by some, those who oppose such decisions should ask why is the unskilled uneducated worker unskilled and uneducated? Why do they not have a university degree and specialized training? Why do they not have the skills and knowledge that employers desire? and whose fault is that? If you ask me, I say the unskilled uneducated worker is the product of their own decisions, and should have done more schooling to be someone with skills worth retaining and paying for. The only jobs that can be done foreign temp workers are those jobs which can be done by anyone.

• Sasha A
    June 05, 2012 - 12:18

Actually Harper's degree is neither here nor there; we all know people who's degree has nothing to do with how they earn a living. The fact of the matter is that he has never worked as an economist. His employment history post-university has been working for politicians or political parties, in one capacity or another.

• David
    June 04, 2012 - 09:03

Andreww Coyne, weekend NP....read it.

• It's nothing short of frightening what is coming down the chute in Ottawa
    June 03, 2012 - 08:54

Holden, it sure would be nice to view his credentials backing up his economics ability! Of course records substantiating those credentials would have to come directly from any University he claims to have taken a course from.

• Holden
    June 03, 2012 - 08:03

Where does this Stevie Harper, economist come from. In an article in The Toronto David Olive stated that Stevie had three courses in economics. If you count the Economic History course taught by C Avery I have four courses, but I would never claim to be an economist. But for people from Western Canada I can understand the hyperbole as they feel so inferior to the rest of Canada that they have to boast to in order to try to feel equal.