Comments

Comments

• jeff
    June 11, 2012 - 07:55

Well Bob I couldn't disagree with you more and I took offense to the way you bashed the Queen. She is indeed a Royal lady and I take pride in our Canadian association with her and the British Monarchy. I still fly the Union Jack flag as well as a Canadian Flag, and (most importantly) the Newfoundland flag, I am very proud of where we came from and that Newfoundland was a British colony. I am not so sure I agree with the money wasted every year for a Lieutenant Governor, but I am still very proud of our ties with England. After reading your article Bob all I can say is "shame on your for the way you "dissed " the Queen. "Long live the Queen!! :)

• Blake
    June 10, 2012 - 20:05

The monarchy and all associated offices such as the Lieutenant Governor should be abolished. Historical allegiances aside, they have no relevance in our current society. All the time we spend fawning over the royal family is time that could be better spent elsewhere - why don't we reflect upon real Canadian culture, history, or social issues instead? The Senate should also be abolished. They are a hyper-partisan waste of tax dollars, and contribute nothing to the country as a whole. It is about time that the Canadian government puts the affairs of everyday Canadians first... These reforms would be a great start towards reinvigorating our troubled nation.

• speedy
    June 10, 2012 - 19:06

Bob, reading this has made our day, fnaly my wife and I can get a good laugh out of the whole show. How much of this did the CBC think we as Canadians could take.

• johnboy
    June 10, 2012 - 15:59

Right smack dab on brother!

• Delia
    June 10, 2012 - 15:38

I personally sit on the fence as regards whether Canada should retain the monarchy. But like it or not, we have one, and it's an integral part of our history. As such, the CBC would have been remiss in their duties had they not provided comprehensive coverage of the Queen's 60th Diamond Jubilee. And I gotta wonder what your real beef is with Peter Mansbridge. I absolutely adore him!

• Joseph McGrath
    June 10, 2012 - 10:23

I did not watch the Royal Flush down the Thames but I throughly enjoyed your column on the event.You nailed it Bob and for that I send you a sunshine compliment for a column well written.Keep up the good work !!!!I always give credit where credit is due.Cheers!!

• Holden
    June 09, 2012 - 08:01

Wasn't it Greg Malone? Someone has to update the mandate of CBC and no that does not mean giving Stevie a free ride. At least the Liberals did not see it as a free prpopaganda machine for the government of the day.