Comments

Comments

• Colin Burke
    August 14, 2012 - 10:28

"the NLC...is keeping Newfoundland's alcohol and hospitality industries in the Dark Ages." What a slander on the Dark Ages that seems to be! I, no historian mind you, have a strong impression from very general reading that anyone who tried to establish anything like the NLC during that period would at the very least have been put in a pillory. And no one then, I'm also inclined to feel, would have been crass enough to link the words "hospitality" and "industry" in the same phrase. And, of course, the High Middle Ages, which the ignorant deem also to have been Dark, were even more enlightened in that regard than the actual "Dark" Ages.

• JH
    August 12, 2012 - 16:52

A good article, and I entirely agree that restaurant wine prices are outrageous. I look forward to a response from Karl Wells ..... Not long ago in a small town in Australia, we ended up in a small restaurant without a wine list. "No worries," said our server, "there's a bottle shop just down then street." So I went along and bought a bottle and brought it back. No problem. I can't remember whether there was a corkage charge, but if it had been anything significant I would have remembered. I just thought this was all very civilized. And when can we allow supermarkets to stock wine and beer? It might be an election winner, who knows. Jim Hiller

• David
    August 11, 2012 - 18:23

Pam, just thank your good fortune that you are oblivious how much the NLLCB marked up that bottle of wine to start with. But hey, someone's gotta pay for the kind of incredible government services (inlcuding NLLCB's ultra-contented bunch) and leadership that we have here in Newofundland, right?

• Skeptical Cynic
    August 11, 2012 - 18:10

I've visited restaurants in Montreal where you can bring your own bottle of wine and have it with your meal... I believe restaurants in B.C. have now also begun offering this option to their patrons. Until a similar option is implemented in NL, I for one will refuse to be ripped off by downtown restauranteurs trying to gouge a buck out of their patrons with outrageous mark-ups on otherwise low-cost wines under the guise of indulging some silly pseudo-elitist pretentions of their generally middle-class clientel. On a related note, Ms. Frampton mentions the Argentinian Las Moras Malbec... this winery's Tannat and Shiraz are highly recommended as well.

• Ron Tizzard
    August 11, 2012 - 13:32

Well said Pam. Prices are not, at all, about customer service, but rather about attracting a 'well-heeled' consummer group. It's about status. Finer dining has a similar pricey-tag...but then, the labour goes into each plate....it's not turned out the same as 'vats of wine'; in finer restaurants, plates of food are developed by the 'each'...and the food is the raison-d'etre for the vist to the eatery! The wine is, indeed, very often, just a 'very pricey subliminal status ingredient. My opinion. If not, enjoy?

• Steamer
    August 11, 2012 - 12:12

Pam, A lot of what you suggest would be illegal under our current liquor laws, such as the offering of free wine and the consumption of alcohol off-premises. As a result, there is only one thing that you can do; demand reform of our outdated and ridiculous liquor laws. The other option is to stop rewarding mediocrity by frequenting establishments with subpar service and outrageous prices. Kudos to you for making more meals at home. Still, though, the very act of buying a bottle of wine for home consumption rewards the NLC which is the very institution that is keeping Newfoundland's alcohol and hospitality industries in the Dark Ages...

• Paddyjoe
    August 11, 2012 - 10:52

En route to Montreal recently I had a few hours stopover in Moncton. I took a taxi to a recommended Italian Restaurant. The place was spotlessly clean and the service was frienfly and efficient. I ordered a chardonnay and was surprised at the price of $4.95 a glass. In speaking with the manager afterwards he said that he simply adds $7.00 to the cost of what the bottle retails for and that is his profit on that particular bottle bottle---What a novel concept!----In Montreal, bars and restaurants regularly had 2 for one on all wines----On Crescent Street, a popular area for night-life a glass of popular wine seldom cost more than $6.00. And on down at the heel, dirty, smelly George Street, bar and restaurant owners have to cheek to charge an average of $8.00 per glass for a $12.00 bottle of Yellow Tail---give me a break-----PLEASE!

• Ron Tizzard
      August 13, 2012 - 08:23

'down at the heel, dirty, smelly George Street! Paddy Joe, Please give me a break, and don't belittle your own 'good taste' and eagreness to sample the total ambiance of George St. Why belittle such a world-reknown strip-of-fun and reknown. I was speaking to a group of 'well-heeled' Execs. in Ottawa several years ago...before speaking to my topic, I was shouteddown and asked to share some information about 'George St' they all had heard so much about. I gave them 15 minutes and moved on...PADDY JOE, you are in a league of your own...! Lighten up!