Comments

Comments

• a business man
    September 08, 2012 - 11:46

Margo - I would not willing to live on a minimum wage salary. I knew that when I was 10, so I worked hard in school, good grades. I went to university and then wen to law school and business school. Now I make 6 figures and pay 6 figures in taxes to our government(s). That said, I am the boss of my company. Every year, we make record profits, and every year, I tell my unskilled uneducated workers that they are not getting a rise because they are just telemarketers. I tell them if they want a raise, they should approach me for a reference letter and time off to find a better job. The job I provide is a dead end job for uneducated unskilled people, and I make this clear upfront. Then I have bonuses and raises to engineers, IT people, marketing execs, and management. They are skilled, they are educated, so they get high wages. Simply put, regardless of how high profits are, it is my position that unskilled uneducated workers are worth nothing more than minimum wage. Further, I argue that any company that has unskilled uneducated workers are part of the workforce should look into moving these jobs to a right to work state. Wages are just over $7/hour, and the workers are happy to have the job. This is for better than NFLDers who think they deserve more than the minimum wage just because they say so. Sure inflation may be going up, but some people here are not clearly stating what THEY are doing to bring more value to their employer that justifies a raise. This is why I most of my businesses out of NFLD, and this is why I encourage others to do the same.

• Jerome
    September 08, 2012 - 11:12

What do minimum wage earners contribute to our economy? I would argue, plenty. Those who can't afford Florida vacations, save for a year to take their families to Splash-n-Putt, the Northern Bay Sands, etc. Minimum wage earners are, for the most part, keeping our local get-away locations in business. People who make 60 or 70 thousand dollars a year or more,are not frequenting the local summer vacation spots, than those with very limited incomes. Even those who talk about "Stay-cations", seek out some far-away bay they have often thought of visiting. The minimum wage earner on the North East Avalon, (where most of us reside) can't afford a trip to Gros Morne or Lance Aux Meadows. Gander is the farthest west most will be able to take. The thing is, every stop they make will be a contribution to the local economy. Please, don't denigrate those who are surviving on minimum wage, but instead thank them for what they are contributing to our economy.

• Too Funny
    September 08, 2012 - 09:34

Inflation eroding wages is not limited to minimum age earners. It's happening to everyone. But take a look back further than the convenient last two years. Over the last ten years inflation rose 10% but Minimum wages rose 80%. In that case, it could be argued that the minimum wage does not need to increase for several years. Is that true? It just shows that anyone can get the statistic they want by carefully picking the right time periods.

• Margo
      September 08, 2012 - 09:53

So you would be willing to live in a minium wage salary? Go tell your boss.

• Craig Dyer
      September 08, 2012 - 10:53

Thanks for input TOO FUNNY, your right stats are stats…….but you need to look at the stats to understand them. 80% of NEXT TO NOTHING is NOTHING. So they got 80% over the pass 10 years not a lot of money in their pockets. Obliviously you have a very narrow scope on the big picture, the Rich get Richer and the poor are denied the opportunity for a fair days pay for a fair days work. I don’t recall lot news articles of businesses closing because of a raise in the minimum wage in the past decade. But I do recall a lot of complaining from business owners and big business. Everybody wins when these minimum wage jobs get a raise. Their quality of life improves, the economy improves, and recruitment and retention improves. On that note I have noticed a lot of Major Chains advertising part and full time jobs…….why do they have such a high turnover I ask…… the answer is simple MINIMUM WAGE and no benefits…….Just my 2 cents, cheers and have a good day Craig Dyer

• Karl Marx
      September 08, 2012 - 15:04

..and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how capitalism works.

• The Swoosh Award
      September 09, 2012 - 20:21

And the finalists for this year's Swoosh Award (for missing the point) is down to Margo and Craig Dyer. Margo for thinking that only people on minimum wage should have a right to voice an opinion and Craig for failing to understand high school algebra.