Comments

Comments

• Doug Smith
    October 09, 2012 - 18:14

Peter L, I don’t know how you can separate, “Sunday Christians” from “religious” people. It doesn’t make sense to me. They (Sunday Christians) support their church and even give money to it. Is not those you say that are “religious”, really religious fanatics? And we all know what they would do if given the chance. Peter L, as far as you stating that I misquoted a passage from the bible, I have to say you are in error not I. In the passage God was saying , ask me for something and I will give it to you. However I know of many people that have ask their god for something but he never gave them a thing. The point I was making is that it is really rare to find a man or woman that keeps his or her word and that we shouldn’t be surprised since God doesn’t keep his word either. I hope this clears things up for you Peter L. By the way are you the same Peter I had a big long argument with about a year ago? Why not pray to your God for the courage to write your full name at the end of your comments? Doug Smith, GFW

• PETER L
      October 10, 2012 - 06:52

DOUG SMITH, first a Sunday Christian only shows up in church on Sundays to say they went, they contribute little in the way of finances and have no knowledge of the bible. Also, like you they quote a line or two trying to show how much they know, but like your quote, they take it out of context. The line or two isn't enough, you must look at all the verses to get the meaning, you take a line to prove something you do not understand. You have done this in the past in other responses.You are as much of a fanatic athiest as some Christians are fanatic in their beliefs. I accept people of all faiths and of no faith, I have friends who are athiest, Hindu, and other religions and I respect that. You appear to have no respect for anyone of any faith and always try to put them down. I do not use my real name because I did once a while ago, did not put anyone down, just explained my own faith, and my children were harassed at school, even by teachers, my wife was harassed at work, and we received threatening calls on the phone and got nutbar fanatical athiest at my door. It's odd that an athiest won't be attacked like that, but a Christian would, there are fanatical athiests around. Just admit Doug Smith that you hate Christians or anyone else that believes in God. At leat now maybe you know the difference between a Sunday Christian and a Believing Christian who is different from a fanatical Christian in that they quietly but sincerely believ and have respect for others, even for athiests.

• saelcove
    October 09, 2012 - 09:32

Did you know science is about to prove there is no god

• PETER L
      October 09, 2012 - 13:15

SAELCOVE, Science will no more prove that there is no God than religion will prove that there is. The belief in God is just that a belief and faith, that is something that will never be entirely done away with. What science is trying to prove, and has been trying to prove for decades is that there is a God molecule or some other object that started the universe, and so far they have not found it. Even if they did, most religious people would say that God created that, it still had to come from somewhere. The latest test a couple of weeks ago was a failure, study it further.

• PETER L
    October 09, 2012 - 08:14

Good point Doug, but the real truth of the matter is that many people who claim to be religious are not. They are what we call "Sunday Christians", they go to church on Sunday yet all through the rest of the week do not practice Biblical teachings of the New Testament. Most have never read the bible or know even what is meant by certain parables or passages. Even you misquote a passage from the bible here, this has nothing to do with one person asking another, but a person asking God for something, and even most Christians don't understand the full implication of that quote. However, I agree with you, even as a devout Christian, the the word of many cannot be relied on, nor can their actions.

• Doug Smith
    October 06, 2012 - 19:09

Pam, another insightful column about the way people really are . I would like to add two other observations. It used to be that a man of his word, or a woman of her word, was a person you could trust because you knew they would do what they said they would do. These people are extremely rare, now it seems people, not all, but way too many, now behave on the principle, that it is easier to ask forgiveness than follow through on what they promised. Also, since most people are religious, I can hardly fault them completely in not keeping their word since their deity in the Bible says, “Ask and it will be given…”( Matthew 7:7) but doesn’t come through when asked. So people not following through on what they say or promise, is no different than what we find in the Bible, which is supposed to give guidance on how to behave properly. Doug Smith, GFW