Comments

Comments

• Marth Tolkien
    January 23, 2013 - 18:39

I know exactly how you feel! For some reason, calgary plumbers don't make a ton of money, and we are always on the shorter side. Thanks for the information!

• JT
    October 24, 2012 - 09:42

There is a kernel of truth to Wangersky's article, to deny it is whistling while strolling through the graveyard. Unless you are employed in the oilpatch, are a unionized tradesperson or an MHA, your annual take home pay is still below what the average Joe/Josephine takes home in the rest of this vast country. In my case, I still basically make the same salary now as I did five years ago. Since this time, housing prices have gone through the roof, property taxes are higher and going higher, energy and food prices have dramatically increased, and if heaven forbid, I need a plumber or electrician to do any work for me, I will pay through the nose for it. Disposable income is just a word that applies to somebody else, a fictional concept. Forget about freedom fifty-five, I will be working well beyond sixty-five if things keep going up in price. No-name cat food may may be a daily staple in the golden years, Friskies will be for special occasions.

• Doug Smith
    October 21, 2012 - 17:55

John Smith, your statement that we are doing well here in Newfoundland and it is not because of the petro dollars is just plain wrong. I guess you have forgotten that without the petro dollars and Alberta, the province would be not only a “have not “ again but really in a bad way. Doug Smith

• Winston Adams
    October 20, 2012 - 16:58

Relatively speaking, it seems stupid to me to embark on a energy program that will , relatively speaking, move our power cost from 50 percent more than Manitoba, Que., And B.C. ( who are hydro generation rich) to a level where we will soon be double their power cost. To gain 12 percent in hydro ( to move us from 86 percent to 98 percent) we will pay 50 percent higher in costs. Surely this is not well thought out.Low power costs is fundamental . From being competitive in business to basic cost of living,high power costs this puts us on a path, relatively speaking, to remain the poor cousins.

• Christopher Chafe
    October 20, 2012 - 11:42

For the first time I will agree with what a NDP supporter has wrote. We are not better off, not by a long shot. It turns my stomach when I hear politician's of any color say how good we are doing as a province. Development wise we are so far behind the rest of Canada (minus Atlantic Canada), it will take at least a generation to catch up and have the necessary services that we need to function on a daily basis. Perhaps we should be looking to the younger provinces and see what they did to make them where they are today, because just because we are an OLD province does not mean we have to live that way or look that way!

• Skeptical Cynic
    October 20, 2012 - 09:58

I disgree. Comparing NL to places like Vancouver (major Asian trade-hub), Calgary (major petroleum hub), and Toronto (major financial-hub) is like comparing the currently booming St. John's to somewhere like Grand Falls-Windsor... it's like the proverbial apples-to-oranges mode of comparison. Sure, everything is relative, but that's way it is and always will be. An oil sheik from Dubai UAE may well wonder how a Bay Street financier can manage to live by what the sheik perceives to be "relatively" modest means. If there are any "poor cousins" in Canada right now, it's a toss-up between the Maritimes provinces, and Quebec especially. Next time you're in Montreal, check out the overpasses. Yikes!

• Jay
    October 20, 2012 - 08:36

Russell, Your tongue had to be firmly implanted in your cheek when you were writing this one. Of course, we'll never be Alberta. We have a population of about 500,000 people (not the size of a medium sized city) widely dispersed in a huge geography. By virtue of this, we have to spend a great deal of money on necessary infrastructure such as more ferries, more schools, more expensive health equipment, more roads etc. Then we have to maintain of all of this infrastructure. As even Joey Smallwood found out, it is simply more expensive to operate this province than others. His answer was resettlement. While I agree that the old growth in GDP numbers point of view was insulting, yours is not much better.

• John Smith
    October 20, 2012 - 08:11

A lie Russell? Really? I don't think so. Anyway...great job on reminding us all of who we are...or at least who we should think we are. We have had a lifetime of listening to people like you Russell...those who want to continually point out the bad when comparing us to other provinces. We are barely 500,000 people Russell, the size of a Toronto suburb. We are doing well here, better than we ever have, and it's not just because of petro dollars. Keep reminding us of our place Russell, mainlanders have perfected that over the years, and you are doing a wonderful job keeping the tradition alive.