Comments

Comments

• Ron Hiltz
    March 18, 2013 - 22:23

I can not bear the cost of supporting any more N.S. goverment or industry gifts as I have difficulty paying my power bill and property taxes now!! All N.S. government has ever proved is what it could not do. Nova Scotia has failed to grow a solid agri economy, a sustainable fishing industry, a safe system of roads and gutted the railroad system. If a industry can not stand on its own two feet with out a hand in our wallets to operate then I dont want it, we dont need it!! it is not true industry. I feel at 60 I have caryed my shair of the load and I should be able to consider retirment and not be shafted for power bills and property taxes when I all ready pay the N.S. government 5 thousand in taxes each year and not have to consider selling my home before I retire becouse property taxes and power bill are pricing me out of my home.

• James G. Learning
    December 21, 2012 - 15:23

It's no secret by now that NunatuKavut and Nunatseavut oppose this projet, first because it's not for Labrador. Second because it will poison our waters,and the food in it. Clap trap about mining revenues and deals aside, becaues they are asiudes, were never in the original justification. I don't honestly remember what was in which Justification. So, all of that aside, the two ineffective Aboriginal groups I hope will be on the front lines to stop this fiasco, and save the NL rate payer. My call would be to other Non-Aboriginal rate payers, come with us on the front lines, you will never regret it. This Island and Territory need to be saved from this Willams/Dunderdale horror. Every drop of oil revenues, every rock in Labrador will be savaged to pay for this fiasco. I can't imagine anyone listening to Maurice Adams factuals, and still be confused. Like the man said now we are truly Canadian, why because we are about to be in tax hell, I don't think thats where the average Canadian is. I lived and worked in Alberta for over 25 years, the tax rate was a dream. They are Canadians. So what is that statement all about. More clap trap, no doubt. It would appear if the NL Government can't do anything right, it can't do anything. The Newfoundland history is one of failed governments, here we go again. Only difference is this time everyones eyes are wide shut.

• a business man
    December 21, 2012 - 15:16

Thanks for pointing out the GM insert Maurice. I have more financial interests in Nova Scotia than I do in Newfoundland, so I am perfectly okay with Nova Scotia having their energy rates frozen while Newfoundland gets a 2% increase annually. Actually, I wouldn't have it any other way. This is perfect for me, and I get to support it, democratically, by voting for the current government. I understand why you disagree with MF, and I respect your opinion. HOWEVER, I am a taxpayer and citizen of Newfoundland too, and the NL government is doing something that is in my best interests. So I have a right to support MF, and I have a right to be ecstatic over the fact that NS power rates will be frozen why NL power rates go up. It really is Christmas!

• Maurice E. Adams
    December 21, 2012 - 12:34

If there was and is any doubt that Bill 61 (Muskrat legislation) was designed by government to be a MASSIVE TAX GRAB, an amendment proposed today to use excess revenue to lower rate for ratepayers was ruled by the Speaker as "out of order" --- which in effect means that the purpose of Bill 61 is not just to provide power to island ratepayers, but to raise money "FOR GOVERNMENT USE" ---- in other words a 'tax grab'. Why else would the Speaker rule the proposed amendment to use excess MF revenues to lower rates be ruled out of order?

• Maurice E. Adams
    December 21, 2012 - 11:13

The G & M insert today (Eastern Canada's Energy News, Earth Resources), quotes Nova Scotia's Premier Dexter as saying that Muskrat Falls "will lower costs over time because Nova Scotia will have a frozen price for energy for 35 years" ---- while NL ratepayers will be locked in to an annual 2% escalating rate increase for 50 years.------- The premier then goes on to say that ""just imagine yourself if you could buy electricity today at 1995 rates. Here's a real interesting piece. You can imagine energy passing through Nova Scotia going to New England. We would be able to buy off of that line at the New England price, minus the transmission cost...and if they (NL) transmit, they pay a wheeling rate to Nova Scotia Power across the transmission lines that then has to be taken into account as income for the purpose of calculating the rate of return for Nova Scotia Power. Either way, (Nova Scotia) ratepayers benefit" -------And I would say, that either way, NL ratepayers PAY.

• Winston adams
    December 21, 2012 - 08:53

Maurice, You say facts and rational thought does not matter. Aristotle must be turning over in his grave..... but you are right , it matters little. Rhetoric dominates. Misinformation dominates. Someone I know, a person who cannot afford high power bills , remarked about our Premier's sanction speach, how she "pronounced every word just so". So style is more important stan substance. It must say something about our species. Oh well, the Mayan's said today was the end of an era. I beleive it was Mark Twain who said that a lie will make it half way around the world before the truth gets out of the starting gate. Just got to pity all those who will be later complaining about the high power bills. The same ones who were silent and didn't care when it could have made a difference. Can't really blame them. They are victims of those who will profit from the plight of their fellow man. I do not wish for MF to fail, for the sake of failing. It just seems there are better and lower cost solutions. I beleive in efficiency, wind and island hydro. But my views got nowhere. More rational thought of those in Nova Scotia or the feds may save the day, who knows?

• Missed Boat
    December 21, 2012 - 08:52

Welcome to all you Johnn-come-latelys who suddenly oppose this disaterous agreement. But it's too little too late.

• a business man
    December 21, 2012 - 08:23

Firstly, I'll admit that I am fully in support of MF even though that it MAY cause hardship for some newfoundlanders. I am okay with that, because I expect to see an indirect benefit from MF. Secondly, if MF destroys the economy and causes people to lose their homes, I am okay with that too because then more people will be renting and the demand for rental homes, including the ones I own, will increase. AND if people are losing their homes, then there will be some cheap homes on the market. Make no mistake, I do not wish for anyone to lose their home, EVER. BUT if a government decision causes some people to lose their home, well that is life and the reality is that for me, it is just another business opportunity. Thirdly, I expect that some of the benefit that I will see from MF will be in other provinces/states. Since I benefit in this scenario too, I am okay with newfoundland suffering so that other jurisdictions can prosper, for no other reason than that my interests (and wallet) are being supported.

• Eli
      December 21, 2012 - 08:43

Tongue-in-cheek comment for sure, but I for one get your drift. Tough times ahead.

• a business man
      December 21, 2012 - 09:41

Yes, it will be tough times for a few, and the majority will benefit. Like I said before, this is democracy at its finest

• DWB
    December 21, 2012 - 07:23

I will admit that I was on the fence about my support (or lack of it) for the MF project. After listening to Kennedy explaining how the entire burden of repayment of these massive loans falls on the shoulders of the people of a very small province, giving Nalcor God-like status with regard to setting the rates of repayment, absolving Nalcor from the public tendering act, removing it from Auditor General examination and Bill 29.....well, I am scared to death for the future of this province. My prayer is that the good folks in Nova Scotia will see fit to direct Emera to run away from this project.

• Maurice E. Adams
    December 21, 2012 - 07:16

Consumers will not even be able to use Upper Churchill power in 2041 (and therefore have no alternative market to Quebec). We will also pay (not including debt servicing and operating costs) 5 times more for our 40% of Muskrat power than Maritimers or ratepayers in the U.S will pay for their 40%). ........Facts, rational thought just does not matter. .........Government sees an opportunity for a multi-billion dollar TAX GRAB from its own citizens --- and it is, by legislation, locking its own citizens into that by way of this ELECTRICITY TAX --- and no one seems to care. ......... Even the Liberals are salivating at the time that they can form the government and have their turn at setting the electricity rates so that they can throw taxpayers own money around at election time --- obtained through this Conservative imposed multi-billion dollar tax grab. ------ If ratepayers do not wish to be FLEECED, they must speak up now.

• Corporate Psycho
    December 21, 2012 - 06:35

If MF was the lowest cost option why r they afraid of competition? We have been totally taken advantage of. The special interests have taken over completely. Hope everyone likes Fort Mac. Danny will be left here by himself.