Comments

Comments

bob milne
    January 10, 2013 - 13:42

evidence requires factual support from reliable sources that can withstand the scrutiny of widespread debate . Usually referenced to scientific articles or research papers. I don't see any of that here. Therefore the evidence is anectotal and appeals only to the emotion of the reader. Good luck with that.

• p earle
    January 07, 2013 - 11:41

I sent a comment, why is it not printed? p e

• Darrel
    January 07, 2013 - 08:23

In my youth (70's and 80's) I angled salmon from rivers near the ocean. The salmon were teaming with lice back then and this was long before salmon farms were around. And the lice didn't seem to affect them. From what I've seen there is no evidence that this affects wild fish populations. Unless you beleive the one small group in BC calling themsleves scientists. And the angling groups have taken this "evidence" 'hook-line-and-sinker'. By the way, these pseudo-scientists predicted that sea lice from salmon farms would cause the EXTINCTION of the stock (used that word to get media attention) by 2011 - which ended up being the largest run in 100 years! I think it's just a matter of timing - salmon populations are declining and it just so happens that salmon farming looks guilty by expanding at the same time. Regarding land-based farming - I've seen a DFO assessment of land-based farming and the costs were about 4 times that of ocean farming. I'm not sure if I would ever afford to buy salmon at $45 a pound!

• Oisin McMahon
    January 07, 2013 - 06:49

I commend Paul Smith for writing this fine article. The science is there for the disasterous effects fish farming has upon wild stocks of fish. The lobby side of aquaculture is so well rehersed that it is hard to argue against them, but it must be done. Mr. Milne, the evidence is real, not anecdotal.

• petertwo
    January 06, 2013 - 08:25

I agree Paul, land based salmon aquaculture has to come. There are many incidents of salmon being infected with ISA from sea lice, Norway, British Columbia, the UK , all have been affected to some levels. A few years back in the UK people were being advised to limit eating farmed salmon due to unsafe levels of PCB's, said to be caused with the salmon feed then. I remember this as I was a member of a fly club and some of the members were really uptight about that, there was no way they'd give up eating farmed salmon whenever they wanted to! I've stayed clear though and only have a meal about twice a year.

• bob milne
    January 05, 2013 - 13:15

Your anecdotal evidence for salmon farms destroying wild stocks in Ireland is hardly impressive. Perhaps you and your daughter can invest in an underwater chicken farm so that the land can be spared from its devastating effects.