Comments

Comments

• Petertwo
    January 16, 2013 - 07:37

I see the Egyptians are still building pyramids. In some ways civilization has come a long way, in others it does not seem to have moved at all from the earliest recorded history. Businessman may be surprised when all the taxpaying jobs are moved offshore and there is no,or very little, pay to pay the taxes. Been there done that already, Dickens, Carlyle- the Nabobs never change- et all.

• crista
    January 15, 2013 - 15:34

to; A bussinessman,NOT ONLY JUST THE GOVERNMENT!!!! YOU SEEM TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT???? AS A BUSSINESS AND AS A VOTER YOU SEEM TO KNOW ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT, AND YOU, HAVE TO ALSO MAKE A DECISION AND THAT IS ARE YOU ALWAYS GOING TO BE IN NEWFOUNDLAND???? AND IF SO YOU MUST KNOW SOME THING AND NOT TELLING ANY BODY, AND PEOPLE WONDER WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD AND SOCIETY AND YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT PUTS THEIR INTEREST FIRST???? NOT BEING SARCASTIC,REMEMBER THE SONG LOUIE ARMSTRONG SANG. WHAT A WONDERFULL WORLD????

• a business man
      January 16, 2013 - 08:20

Crista: regarding MF, I honestly know very little about the project or the potential consequences. I will not do any research because I know that I expect to benefit from MF, and I understand that I may be wrong. I am willing to take the chance. That is my right. You say I have to make decision about staying in Newfoundland......I am not sure why I have to make that decision. I can do what I want when I want. Anyway, I always put my interests first. For example, with MF: I have more business interests in Nova Scotia than I do in newfoundland. One reason why I blindly (and willing) support MF because my business interests in NS will benefit. SO I am using my vote in newfoundland to benefit my Nova Scotian business interests, and I accept that newfoundland may face hardships. That is my right as a citizen and voter. Part of the reason why I am still in newfoundland is cast my ballot and make donations to pro-MF politicians. At the end of the day, I don't really vote for politicians, political parties, or idea. I am voting for me and my interests

• Winston Adams
    January 15, 2013 - 11:14

Critics predicted that if MF goes ahead, that conservation measures will stall. Efficiency measures can provide significant offset for residential customers to increased rates. Other jurisdictions are using 4 percent or more of revenue to fund this. We are at less than 1 percent. There will be a small increase this year and next, but never reaching 1 percent. Then for future years it is FLAT. Just as critics predicted. This is the path to prop up demand for MF at the expense of efficiency savings for the consumer. Why isn't the media probing the Rate application?

• Cyril Rogers
    January 15, 2013 - 10:44

Some things that will not change include the heads stuck in the past like those that currently occupy Confederation Hill. They have no vision and can only see the past...a recipe for disaster in this rapidly changing economic environment. There is need to put the brakes on with MF but the problem, as I see it, is this. They are in a huge hole but cannot admit that they are digging themselves deeper all the time. Sadly, we are the ones who will fall into the fiscal crater they have created.

• Maurice E. Adams
    January 15, 2013 - 07:45

And why should low and middle income island ratepayers/taxpayers pay $700 million a year for 50 years on the basis of the "speculative" interests of the Labrador corporate mining sector? ........You know, it used to be that business interests were supported by government when the planned corporate activity helped to pay for the peoples' needs (roads, schools, hospitals, etc., etc.), now, this Muskrat Falls project requires/forces low and middle income island ratepayers to pay (for 50 years) to produce power for the mining industry ---- and with the world economy the way it is, even the mining compamies may not need the power. ---------- It is time to call a halt to Muskrat Madness and to conduct a detailed review.

• a business man
      January 15, 2013 - 11:27

Maurice, low and middle income island ratepayers/taxpayers should pay $700 million a year for 50 years on the basis of the "speculative" interests of the Labrador corporate mining sector because the majority of Newfoundlanders say so. I have nothing to do with the mining sector, but I expect to benefit from MF in indirect ways. As such, it is my wish as a high income ratepayer for low income and middle income ratepayers to pay the cost. If the cost is passed to me, I will move my companies to spite the government and those who oppose MF. I will not leave newfoundland, but rather, I will stay here and enjoy my home while making money using an offshore workforce. I will not create jobs in any jurisdiction in which my interests are not put first. I will not create/keep jobs in an area where the government is not aligned with my interests. I expressed my wish with my vote, and I got the government that I wanted. I understand that you disagree, but please understand that the majority of Newfoundlanders are okay with the low income earners footing the bill. Someone has to and no one want to. Thus, it is up to the majority (and their government) to make the decision.