Comments

Comments

• ginn
    February 04, 2013 - 18:04

well I guess Jones April(February)fooled us. He deliberately wtites an improperly researched article full of half truths and gets the reaction he wanted. This lazy uninformed CFA needs to educate himself about his written subject but won't bother if people react to his drivel.

• Working Poor
    February 02, 2013 - 07:05

Amen! I work full time and take home roughly $20,280 a year. Out of that, try to make payments on a student loan, a mortgage I inheirited, household expenses, expenses to get to/from work, and then try to feed myself. My neighbourhood is becoming popular and inflation consequently taking city taxes with up it. Then the City rises tax rates to make it even worse. I could sell my home, but I already live in a low-end home and rent would drain any profit quickly leaving me broke and out of the only home I ever knew. Meanwhile, my slavery driven property tax bill is subsidizing "seniors" with pensions double (or more) my salary with less expenses and those who refuse to work whlie living in St. John's Housing units. This only adds further insult and injury to my income tax being used to pay for welfare and EI for people who really do not need it. Where is the justice in that???? Time for some serious changes at City Hall.

• Eli
      February 04, 2013 - 18:39

Time for some serious changes in somebodys thinking if you think I havn't earned my pension. You might try keeping in mind it hasn't changed in 25 years but my living expenses have gone thru the roof.

• Anne
    February 01, 2013 - 18:32

Strange article. St. John's already has a tax discount for seniors in receipt of GIS. The proposal O'Leary brought up was tabout allowing seniors to defer paying muncipal taxes until they leave their house and it is sold. After all, why give a tax break to somebody who owns a big asset like a house as opposed to those who don't? The rent for an apartment includes muncipal taxes that aren't discounted for low-income seniors who don't own a house.. There are ways to re-jig municipal taxation regime to make it more fair, but discounts aren't it.

• david
    February 01, 2013 - 17:37

Tax breaks for seniors smack of ageism...just like the same thing for "status" indians is racism. No one seems to see a problem with that.....

• R.O.K.
    February 01, 2013 - 15:18

Mr. Jones, none of us would need tax breaks if governments (read our MHA's, MP's, and Mayors) did the job they promised they'd do more responsibly. I'd hardly credit a town like CBS paying out $120,000.00 in travel expenses merely because the mayor said in order to get the word out you gotta' travel. What irresponsible nonsense, especially when my taxes just increased by 48% and the street deteriorated another 60%.

• Whaddaya At
    February 01, 2013 - 13:09

Hey, Mr. Jones, so Denis O'Keefe used the term ' seniors '. So what ?. You say it's a term hardly anyone uses anymore ?. You think the term you used, ' grey gang ', is more appropriate ?. How about ' geezers ', ' pop ', ' skipper ', ' old man ', ' old timer ' ?. You think those terms are more appropriate ?. Ageism is alive and well in today's society, Mr. Jones, as evidenced by a local billboard awhile back, that advertised ' Geezerade ', with the picture of a senior citizen. Complaints forced the advertiser to take it down. By the way, the term' senior ', is in no way a part of the stupid jargon and buzzwords used by politicians.

• Senior
    February 01, 2013 - 13:06

There is a big clawback on some work pensions when you receive OAS. My work pension was clawed back nearly half when I got OAS and my total income was about 1/3 or the figure you quote! That hurts the senior population. Yes, there are snow birds sir, but I would suggest to you there are many, many seniors as well as other low income earners who can't afford to ever take a vacation. Young students have many years of earning power whereas seniors do not. Maybe if some students spent their student loans only on what it was intended for, they would not owe so much money!! I have three children who graduated with Masters degrees, paid off their student loans without any breaks, and are now well on their way to great earning ability. Certainly low income and seniors should be entitled to a tax break. Wonder what category you will be in when you reach your senior years!!! Write an article on the same topic then!

• Student
      February 01, 2013 - 14:13

I must disagree with you. As a student I can say that graduatin with a degree does not guarantee income in the future. The amount a young person has I spend to be able to gain employment is at its highest ever. Add this to the housing market, and there is a whole generation of people struggling to make end meet in their 20's and beyond. In addition SENIORS are retiring later which means less movement in companies, and less work available to students starting out. Therefore I agree that ageism affects both ends of the spectrum in different but equal ways. There are the lucky and the not so lucky ones on both ends.

• Herb Morrison
    February 01, 2013 - 13:05

Mr. Jones. Firstl, you need to learn to practice what you preach. Early in your rant, you accurately point out that not all seniors are poorly off and struggling to "make ends meet." however, later in the aforementioned rant, you have no difficulty portraying all students as being poor struggling, debt-ridden souls. In actual fact, when I returned to MUN, while in my late fifties, between 2004-2006, in order to finish my undergraduate degree, I remember a situation, which came to light at the time. It seems that a considerable of students were up in arms because they were unable to obtain an exemption from writing an exam and, as a result were forced to cancel their trip to,I believe it was Cuba, poor souls. My point, the majority students attending MUN or any other university, do struggle financially; likewise, the majority of we seniors, who are living on a fixed income, also struggle financially. Turning this situation into a contest is not going to benefit either seniors or students. What is needed are solutions which effectively address the financial quaigmire in which both the majority of students, and the majority of seniors find themselves sinking. Turning the situation into a contest between the young and the older may enable the Telegram to sell a few more newspapers, but accomplishes litte else of apositive nature.

• Ken Collis
    February 01, 2013 - 08:37

Let's see, just how many of the two dozen went to post secondary institutions for eight years, incuring a large debt, and still make $10,000.00 less than average wage? One thing about most seniors is that they have paid a great deal towards me and the chances I have had to succeed. They toiled hard all their lives and I don't feel bad about them getting a break now. And one more thing, what in the world is ageism?

• MBC
    February 01, 2013 - 08:34

Right on all breaks should be for low income earners and low income seniors. If you do no need tge GIS then you need no breaks.