Comments

Comments

• Gerald Barnable
    May 14, 2013 - 20:53

We honored him, but we didn't honor him enough. We'll never see his like again. There are pieces of his that I'm always quoting and there are other pieces that choke me up so much I can't repeat them.

• Winston Adams
    April 01, 2013 - 15:10

There are bad Nflders, green Nflders , good Nflders and great Nflders. The great ones are few and far between. As to politicians, perhaps the only great one was Robert Bond. He put his personal fortunate on the line as security for our country during the financial collapse around 1895. He finally abandoned politics due to the greed and corruption here. I believe he left his house in Whitbourne to the province and it fell in ruins. He is without the honour he deserves. Ray Guy has spent his life exposing the self interest, greed and foolish actions of those in power in our province. In my younger days, I, like many, being a bit green to the ways of those in power, thought Guy's writing was just funny and entertaining. Gradually I realized the truth and wisdom contained in his writings. I know some who have studied Plato or Aristotle for enlightenment. I find this in Ray Guy. Usually the truth is so damming that it would not get published if not wrapped up in what we call satire. How often does Bill Rowe, on VOCM Open Line say " We can't say that, it may be libel". Bill won't chance to rock the boat. Ray always rocked the boat, when it served to expose skullduggery. The Great Ones are recognized long after their passing. Sometimes long, long after. As far as I know, Ray has never been made a member of the Order of Canada, or Order of Nfld., which, I guess is fitting, because he is in a league of his own. One of the Great Ones. I suppose on his final passing, pray it not be soon, some will give him his due. Ray's bite, insight and wisdom will surely be missed, given the arrogance of the current crop of politicians and businessmen. Ray retired? On reading of this in the Northeast Avalon Times, I felt a tear trickle down. Say it ain't so.

• Stamp
    March 31, 2013 - 19:22

Although Ray Guy received some recognition for his work, I have always thought he deserved more. A pretty eclectic individual, Guy's accomplishments span journalism, humour, screen writing, acting and even botany. But I think his single most important contribution to this province was his role in bringing down the Smallwood government. Smallwood wielded almost absolute power for the better part of 23 years, crushing opposition with a degree of ruthlessness and deviousness still not widely understood. The slightest criticism could meet with personal repercussions that included lost employment, access to government services, and business opportunities. Outside a handful of opposition members, there were very few who had the courage and smarts to take him on. One of those - arguably the best of those - was Ray Guy. Week after week he gnawed away at Smallwood's arrogant, inept and corrupt regime. So caustic were his columns at times that it was a tribute to the Herder family (then owners of the Evening Telegram) that they dared print them. What made Guy so effective was his brilliant use of satire. Even die-hard Liberals couldn't help but laugh at this out-harbour upstart. It was Moores who finally polished off Smallwood, but it was Guy who made it possible. He deserves great credit for his contribution to democracy in the province. For the benefit of younger readers, the Telegram should consder republishing some of his best pieces.

• Fraser March "From Sunny Blaketown"
    March 31, 2013 - 17:20

Ray Guy taught a whole generation that it was OK to challenge the power of the State. He, by example, showed that it was acceptable to laugh at our political masters. This is seemingly not a big deal today when we pour, namelessly, volumes of factless opinion without argument which the media prints. It was a big deal however during the Smallwood years. Ray Guy made it easier for those who confronted power within NL. and on behalf of NL. Ray Guy seemed equally annoyed by state and non-state concentrations of power as was demonstrated by writings dealing with student organizations and the church. Whether you were on the receiving end of his social satire, or allied with same, you had to conclude that he shook up the system which, in hindsight, was good for NL. democracy.

• T.Sanford
    March 31, 2013 - 12:54

Amen!

• A Ray Guy Fan
    March 30, 2013 - 11:59

Didn't even know Ray was still writing in the NEAT, must dig it up to see if I can find any of Ray's archived material. Always got a good laugh from Ray's particular brand of political satire and social commentary, and it always seemed to be bang-on. Wish he was back on H&N with his armchair/fireside chats. Cheers Ray, thanks for all the chuckles, but please don't be gone permanently. Look forward to your odd column in The Telly, OK?