Comments

Comments

• OTL
    January 17, 2013 - 11:32

I hope people aren't naive enough to believe that ministers negotiate anything. The ministers do whatever the bureaucrats tell them to do.

• Herb Morrison
    January 17, 2013 - 10:52

When you consider the facts that Mr. Marshall is not planning to run in the next election, and the fact that Mr. Marshall appears to perser a laid back approach, replacing Mr. Marshall with Mr. Kennedy, who has a well-earned reputation as a hard-nosed negotiator, in the finance portfolio, makes good sense. Astute move by the Premier and good for the taxpayers who will not be saddled with paying unionized workers more than they are worth

• Rob Thomas
      January 17, 2013 - 11:42

Who decides someone's "worth"? The province already pays some of the lowest salaries in the country so why worry about that changing. But if you're going to base your spending on people's worth then it wouldn't be good to be a pensioner or a social assistance recipient.

• david
      January 17, 2013 - 12:41

Rob Thomas: When an employer and an individual emplyee agree to a working contract/agreement, they have both explicity decided the exact value of the work. As far as paying the "lowest salaries in the country", notwithstanding that you pulled that completely that "factoid" out of your arse, I am very confident that, on a productivity / skil / value-received-for-money-spent, public service wages In Newfoundland would be shown to be FAR higher than warranted.

• a business man
      January 20, 2013 - 09:06

ROB THOMAS asked "decides someone's "worth""? Well, in my companies, I decide what people are worth. My formula is quite simple. If one does not have a post secondary education, then that person earns minimum wage for life. No wage increases, no health benefits or pension benefits, not paid vacation. That is how I compensate unskilled uneducated workers, and that is how I beleive they should be compensated nationwide. WHY? because they are not worth any more, because their lack of skills and education leaves them with little negotiating power, and because if they leave, they can be replaced with minimal effort. If one has a post secondary education, and is skilled and educated, I am happy to pay them a middle class wage (in the 70K range) and provide health and pension benefits, and other job perks. These people are worth more than the first group, because they bring their education into my company. So, I have my views, and some may disagree, but I will vote for those who share my view.

• BAckroom Politics
    January 17, 2013 - 10:29

Dunderdale is hanging Kennedy out to dry..............he's the next logical (and unfortunately best person to be Premier) so Dunderdale gets him into a fight woith the publci service to take his stock down so he won't be next Premier.

• W Bagg
    January 17, 2013 - 10:26

Does kennedy have grade 6?

• Mike from Carbonear
      January 17, 2013 - 16:28

Actually, he graduated high school early and is rumored to have an exceptional intelligence quotient score. Grade six is what Eddy Joyce and Premier Dunderdale have if you believe the blogosphere.

• Eli
    January 17, 2013 - 09:20

Kennedy wasn't really pugnacious in the Muskrat Falls disgrace. He didn't need to be. He had legislation in place to do whatever the hell this disgraceful excuse for a government wanted down that road. As for the switch in ministers, first thing that came to my mind was it's another diversion to stop us from talking about Nalcor and Muskrat. Damn the lot of 'em, and that included my MHA.

• Broken Promise
    January 17, 2013 - 08:50

If there was a plan to announce a new hospital for Corner Brook in the budget, Marshall would have stayed at finance. This appears unlikely now.

• Too Funny
    January 17, 2013 - 08:43

"a strange little shuffle". Not really. Especially when you consider that the Forestry and Agriculture agency is the only government office that is not headquartered in St. John's. It just happens to be headquartered in Marshall's hometown of Corner Brook. Seems like he'd prefer a pasture closer to home.

• Cold Future
    January 17, 2013 - 06:52

Let's hope it is to try to figure out how the average increase in taxation of $450,000,000 per year created to pay for Muskrat will be handled by the ratepayers of the province. That tax grab will kick in in 4 to 8 years when the project in complete.The government of the day will have to be very creative to protect the fixed income folks from the hardships to come. The additional cost of this burden is about $2000 per year per ratepayer-not an insignificant sum.