Comments

Comments

• Gena
    May 07, 2013 - 15:25

Having just returned from a business trip to Sweden, I was astounded how far off the mark we as Canadians are in how we take care of our communties. I looked hard and saw very little if any litter despite the fact that there weather (cold and sometimes windy) is alot like we see here in NL and the rest of Canada. What will it take before we stop these practices that reflect so badly on us?

• Ken Collis
    May 07, 2013 - 10:34

Right now I'm in Kongsberg, Norway with my wife. We noticed right away how free of litter the town is. It was so evident that we had a conservation about it. How very different the people here must be, we said. There is lots of evidence of kids using spray paint but no trash. After being here a few days we have discovered that the people aren't so different than folks home. The place is clean because workers clean everything up. These little street sweepers go around all the time too. Businesses have employees go around the property keeping it clean. I know that this would be a big undertaking at home but I bet that after the initial clean up it wouldn't be so hard to maintain.

• sc
    May 07, 2013 - 10:33

The amount of garbage strewn along highways, roads, paths, in parking lots, and in front of people's yards and businesses is a disgrace and says a great deal about what residents think of this province and the environment. My wife and I have frequently remarked upon the unwillingness/laziness of business owners who allow garbage and cigarette butts to accumulate immediately in front of their stores and restaurants. In other coutries we have visited and lived in these owners would take pride in their properties and ensure that they look presentable. Unfortunately, most people here are too lazy to do so and simply feel it is someone else's responsibility to clean up after them. Why would tourists want to visit a place that is allowed to look like a city dump?

• Tony Rockel
    May 07, 2013 - 09:52

Makes for quite a contrast with those lush beautiful TV ads for Newfoundland and Labrador, doesn't it? Why aren't kids taught anything about civic pride? What are their parents and teachers thinking? At this rate we will soon be stifling in our own garbage.

• mainlander
    May 07, 2013 - 09:33

People have no respect for where they live. If they did, they wouldn't turn it into a pigsty.

• Ed Power
    May 07, 2013 - 07:36

"We have met the enemy and he is us", as the late cartoonist Walt Kelly accurately observed. This time last year I walked from Merchant Drive in Mount Pearl to Legion Road in CBS. The amount of garbage in the ditches and caught inside the treelines was staggering. Plastic bags, long strips of plastic industrial wrap and cardboard dunnage material, bottles, cans, bags of garbage, a sofa, an end table, a coffee table, kitchen chairs (of varying styles), tires, tire rims, tires and rims, bumpers, fenders, a car door, coil springs, leaf springs, a rear differential and thousands upon thousands of discarded fast food containers, cardboard Tim Hortons cups and waxy soft drink containers from every fast food franchise on the NE Avalon. A short detour down a carpath between the CBS highway and the new industrial park on MacNaughton Blvd revaled multiple piles of household garbage, broken furniture, old building material, appliances and other waste - including decaying moose carcasses. It's enough to make one weep. I've lived in four provinces - and two other countries - and visited a number of countries on three continents, and only in the most politically corrupt and poverty stricken countries have I seen such casual disregard - and outright neglect - for the environment. What is our excuse?

• Steve
    May 07, 2013 - 07:36

There is a disconnect in some people's minds these days about where litter comes from and whose responsibility it is to clean it up. I was working as the town manager of a small town some years ago and so it was on my plate to keep an eye on the litter around. As I drove through town with my sister one afternoon, she opened the window and tossed a handful of litter out the window. I was floored. I reprimanded her angrily and reminded her that it was my responsibility to have that picked up by town staff. She just didn't understand. Her excuse was, "I didn't want it in the car."

• paulSt.John's
    May 07, 2013 - 07:15

I have been to several gas stations on the Avalon recently with overflowing garbage cans and litter everywhere. It seems many business people simply do not care what their establishment looks like, people still have to buy gas, so what does it matter if garbage is blowing out of the overfilled garbage cans? What's so difficult about a daily cleanup of the property and regular emptying of garbage containers?