Exploding vintage

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

A few months back, I bought a bottle of a certain sparkling white wine for company I had coming, company who I knew liked that sort of thing (my tastes run more towards older scotches, but to each their own).

Sitting in the other room I heard a rather loud explosion, almost like a bomb. I ran to the other room to investigate but much to my surprise, I could find nothing amiss. It wasn’t until two days later when I went to chill what I now call “the hazardous material” beverage that I realized that this was the source of the explosion.

Chunks and shards of glass everywhere. It had even destroyed a bottle of the good stuff next to it. I initially thought this was just some freak accident, a one in a million. Nope. A couple of days ago, I purchased another bottle of the same “hazardous material.”

I brought it into the cabin and laid it in the wine rack, not giving it another thought.

About six that night, I thought it had better be moved to the cooler to be chilled. As I was standing up, that same “chilling” explosion from the kitchen area. Sure enough, there were shards of glass everywhere.

Had I gotten up a few seconds earlier, there is no doubt in my mind I could have been seriously injured.

I was more than a little shocked and shaken. I was angry. I pieced the label back together, looking for a phone number of the manufacturer. Nothing. Looked up their web address: none. Googled them — nothing!

Who was selling me this dangerous stuff?

I contacted the NLC outlet where I bought it. The response? “So sorry, nothing we can do.” I contacted head office in St. John’s twice, and was very politely put through to voice mail of Blair Boland twice, with no call back

If NLC is charging us so much for wine and spirits, don’t they have a certain obligation to quality and our safety?

I can’t be the only person this has happened to. Doesn’t the NLC have some responsibility the public?

How can they so callously and with such disregard for public safety, by allowing this to happen? And the corporation seems not care. Aren’t they answerable to us, John Q. Public? I’m one very disgusted and unhappy customer.

I think from now on, I’ll be purchasing my spirits online, where, when an incident like this happens, I’ll have some recourse.

 

David Gonin

Renews Exploding vintage

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • JT
    August 03, 2012 - 10:09

    Oh for gods sake, stop wining.

  • Eli
    August 02, 2012 - 10:14

    With shards of glass all over the place can't figure out why it took a couple of days to find the reason for the initial explosion and why you didn't investigate further. I would if it was in my house or "cabin". My experience with NLC is there are all kinds of excellent and reputable brands on their shelves, not to say you didn't strike a dud.

  • Foghorn Leghorn
    August 02, 2012 - 08:58

    Quick, phone, Ches Crosbie, I can smell another class action lawsuit on the horizon!

  • T. Hynes
    August 01, 2012 - 10:23

    Was almost killed by one last year. I know exactly how you felt. T. Hynes Paradise, NL.

  • Janis Hearn
    August 01, 2012 - 10:20

    WOW! Same thing happened to me ABOUT A MONTH AGO!! I thought I was the only one too JH Fermeuse