Comments

Comments

• sheri
    December 06, 2012 - 14:22

So...out of all of you complainers...how many have ever participated to make it better?? Umm..NONE I bet!! Suck it up...its an afternoon out with the Family...stop the complaining and be thankful to those who did participate!

• carogers
      December 07, 2012 - 14:17

You must have watched the Macys or Toronto parade before going to the local Christmas parade, there is never a comparision. We could organize a volunteer parade committee, who work throughout the year getting sponsors and other volunteers to build floats. Its not rocket science it just takes initative and willing people to get involved.

• Mount Pearl Guy
    December 06, 2012 - 13:34

Nice to see it was the same as previous years. There are only so many cheerleaders and dog groups and Bands I can take. I remember the Santa Claus Parade's being full of floats in Corner Brook and was extremely disappointed how few were in the Downtown Parade here.

• J
    December 06, 2012 - 11:30

Ahh, typical Newfoundland negativity on display again. You know folks, if you don't like it how about forming a group and putting your own float in the parade. You know, like volunteer some time and resources. No, not NFLD, just do nothing and complain. Laziness. Having lived in other parts and Canada and the USA I can see nothing has changed in Newfoundland. Do nothing and then complain, complain, complain about the results of someone else's work.

• Inconsiderate Drivers and Parents
    December 06, 2012 - 11:07

Christmas is supposed to be the season of goodwill towards our fellow man. A lesson not well learned by some parents and drivers who bring their children to the parade. Parking in the residential streets of the downtown is difficult enough, I shudder each year when the parade happens. I am a nurse who has offstreet parking at my hone. Every year my car gets sealed into my driveway by one of these parents who are taking their child to the parade, This year, I had to get to work early on Sunday afternoon, only to have my driveway sealed off. I called City Traffic Enforcement to have the vehicle removed but none never came. I had to walk to a hotel to get a cab to drive me to work at a personal expense to me while my car sat in my driveway. I wish to see the parade moved to another part of the city or cancelled altogether due the the inconsideration of some of these ignorant parents. All that matters is their child, nothing else. As a health care provider attending to the sick and dying, I only ask for an once of consideration which seems to have evaporated among too many of our citizens of St. John's.

• Ron Tizzard
      December 08, 2012 - 09:02

Next time....place a sign in your driveway reading.....'ALL" Tires of cars blocking my driveway will be deflated...yhouy are so advised! I bet it works.

• Ron Tizzard
      December 09, 2012 - 07:15

Who is Robin McGrath? Do you get my drift Minnie?

• Political Watcher
    December 06, 2012 - 09:53

Her her, I strongly agree with this letter; we gave up going to the Downtown parade two years ago. The Parade is sadly lacking the umph that was once there and yes, with a burning economy and many international companies operating here one would think they would lend support to the parade. If nothing else, maybe the Downtown Development Commission can begin an aggressive campaigh to solicit sponsors for the floates and engage groups to build them. The sad thing is that all the parades in the region are lacking and what ws once a highligt in a childs Christmas is nothing more than a glorified motorcade.

• Anon
    December 06, 2012 - 09:51

if you don't like the parade, walk towards it and fast forward it.

• Sheri
    December 06, 2012 - 09:45

Are you guys kidding me? What part did you miss? There were ample floats,cheerleaders,dancers,keystone cops and so on...we thought it was very nice actually..not too dragged out but nicely done!! When you think about it...it is for the kids,right? And you should be happy we have a parade to go watch!!!

• anne
    December 06, 2012 - 08:15

God knows we have enough clowns in this city to fill up a parade

• Mike
    December 06, 2012 - 06:40

Sounds like it was even worse than last year. I didn't bother to go this year because last years was so pitiful!