Dunderdale ‘grandstanding’ over CETA

As a person with a trade background, I read with interest an article in your paper on the Canada-EU Trade Agreement negotiations by Mr. Les Dean, and conclude that he is very much out of touch with the realities of international trade, in advocating minimum processing requirements as a means to maximize employment in the fishing industry.

My friends from Newfoundland tell me that very few want to work in this employment-insurance dependent industry.

Mr. Dean, however, makes an argument to protect jobs that no longer exist. Wow. He seems to not understand the importance of zero-based tariffs to the largest market in the world. Obviously, there is a price to be paid for such an important achievement. Prime Minister Stephen Harper is to be commended for this trade initiative while your premier’s grandstanding is not the way serious politians go about resolving their differences. Her rcent poll results demonstrate that this is a lady with more bark than bite.

I was surprised that Mr. Dean would commend agricultural policies such as marketing boards, and productions quotas.

As a Quebecer, I can tell you that such  measures create inefficiencies with the result that egg and milk prices are more than double what they  need to be and what they actually are in the free market economy.

This support of government intervention is contradictory to his position that “citizens of this province … derive maximum economic benefits from their natural resources.”

He could have said that citizens should be prepared to accept inefficiencies and pay higher prices.

Finally, he goes on at great length to state that Newfoundland does not and should not export raw materials, when in fact the great majority of Newfoundland exports are raw materials, especially crude oil and raw ore.

Frank Olmstead

Saint-Hyacinthe, Que.

Geographic location: Newfoundland, OlmsteadSaint-Hyacinthe, Que

Comments

Comments

• Business Man you need to brush up on knowledge of the profitable fishing businesses.
    June 20, 2013 - 08:23

How superficial are you Business Man to complain about the smell of the processing of the fish. Do you think the processing of beef, pork and chicken don't have an odor? Why do you think the European Union, a collection of 27 countries have craved the fish resources contained in every Ocean of the World forever? Of course it is because of the humongous profits they derive from the coveted fish resources through the processing and selling of the valuable resource. They also crave the fish resource as the main source of PROTEIN for their inhabitants. If you aren't aware fish has over- taken beef, pork and chicken on the dinner plates of the World. I heard that statistic being announced in the National Media last week.

• Petertwo
    June 20, 2013 - 05:11

Well, what a load of bunk from Frank Olmstead of Quebec." He seems to be the type of fellow who would insist on selling the Russians loaves of bread rather than wheat." The Russians have banned GM wheat and Europeans insist on GM products being clearly labled. And what a comparison considering who the beneficiaries are of this provinces resources, who else but Quebec? Taking this provinces resources and selling them off processed, like bread is processed. What arrogance, trying to inflict poverty on us, like that "business man" whose needs and wants are all that matters, both Dickensian to the last degree. And Justin Trudeau from Quebec talks about "bringing back democracy" to Canada... from Quebec, duh? A province in slavery to language! Hah! what a joke. I think people here are fed up with being treated like someone's pet dog, a pat on the head and thrown the odd bone or two, yeah bm, Canada sucks, as you have well summed up.

• Business Man, your sense of Business is Abysmal
    June 19, 2013 - 08:29

Business Man your sense of Business is Abysmal !!!! Aren't you astute enough, Business Man, to figure out the fishery resource is a "renewable resource and if taken care of properly should look after the needs of those who work that industry, now and in the future, for all eternity. The fish quotas should NEVER have been allowed to be immersed into the Global Free Trade Movement as the enabler to conduct trade in the first place, but it was allowed and now the bio-mass figures in our waters according to the figures being touted are down 95 per cent of what they were when Ottawa took over the fish quotas in the 1950s, under the guise that it would maintain them for future generations. Ottawa sure fooled Newfoundlanders and Labradorians out of their cultural resource, fish, did`nt they, but that isn`t unusual, `since Ottawa fooled us out of many of our resources. Where are former Federal Politicians like John Crosbie and Jim McGrath and others at this point in time, it would be timely if they could speak on the demise of the fishery and how it should be corrected.

• a business man
      June 20, 2013 - 06:03

Honestly, you fail to realize that the fishery does not create the jobs that this generation of workers want. This generation, myself included, does not want dirty smelly low-skill menial fishery jobs. We want desk job, jobs that we would be proud to tell our future in-laws about. Everyone should want more than a dirty smell menial fishery job. Anyway, I disagree with you completely. I believe that the he fish quotas should have been allowed to be immersed into the Global Free Trade Movement as the enabler to conduct trade in the first place, because doing so has made Canada richer as a whole. Sure Newfoundland may be poorer, but as a citizen and voter, I am okay with that. I could care less about the bio-mass figures being down 95 per cent of what they were when Ottawa took over the fish quotas. The fishery is just not important in my opinon. And Ottawa didn't fool me. I voted for always vote for the government that will put Canada as a whole before Newfoundland, and I structure my investments to cash in on the decisions in the market. Really, that means that we invest much more in Ontario than we do in Newfoundland. I am note sure where the politicians you mentioned are, but I am sure glad they are gone. Lastly, I don't care abou the fishery because I do not make any money of it. Every time a fish plant closes, Newfoundland becomes stronger as a province even though a few people will be unemployed. That is the price of progress. Since it is someone else who will face the hardship, I am okay with that too.

• THE RAW NERVE OF THIS LETTER WRITER.
    June 18, 2013 - 10:54

Frank Olmstead from Saint-Hyacinthe, Que. said in his letter "Finally, he goes on at great length to state that Newfoundland does not and should not export raw materials, when in fact the great majority of Newfoundland exports are raw materials, especially crude oil and raw ore". Sadly he was right and so are you in saying that the great majority of Newfoundland and Labrador exports are raw materials. How Mr. Olmstead to you account for the vibrant economies that were created in your province and several of the others provinces from Newfoundland and Labrador's natural resources over the past 64 years,?Wouldn't you think that if we didn't export them out but instead smelted, refined, and processed them here at home that we would have had the economies that were derived from those exported raw natural resources in the other areas of Canada? Given our location was not to remote for the raw resources to be shipped out quite easily, I am sure we could have done all the procedures that needed to have been done to our raw natural resources and we could have benefited greatly economically just as Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba and the other provinces benefited. It was nothing short of corruption how we were shafted out of our raw resources for the benefit of the other provinces. Every place on the face of the Earth covets raw natural resources to create jobs and industries from the refining, smelting and refining of raw resources. Why do you think China, India, USa and other countries are scouting the World for raw resources?

• Eli
    June 18, 2013 - 09:10

But he's right about milk and dairy prices that are out of whack thanks to those pompous Marketing Boards.

• Manning
      June 18, 2013 - 10:54

I don't know if milk prices are "out of whack" but I do remember what it was like before the boards - sour, or powder or canned milk were your choices. Any proof they're "out of whack"?

• The raw nerve of this letter writer.
    June 18, 2013 - 07:35

Frank Olmstead from Saint-Hyacinthe, Que. said in his letter "My friends from Newfoundland tell me that very few want to work in this employment-insurance dependent industry" Since Ottawa held control over the 'fish quotas' that Newfoundland and Labrador brought into Canada, its first priority for the use of these quotas should have been to have created a vibrant fishing industry in the province of NL, instead of immersing the fish quotas into the global free trade movement as the conductor to generate international trade for the Beef, Agriculture and Manufacturing industries of Central Canada. And by the way from my observations Quebec has never had to worry about the quotas of fish that it desired for its fishing industry, Ottawa always saw to it that Quebecers got what they sought from the Ottawa Government at the province of Newfoundland and Labrador's expense. I am sick of Canada for the way it spent Newfoundland and Labrador's natural resources for the benefit of creating economies in many parts of Canada, but allowed the province of Newfoundland and Labrador's economy to die on the Canadian economic vine. Would you Quebecers stop dictating to us please. We are sick of you.

• Sick of Bigots
      June 18, 2013 - 09:26

You almost made coherent point, then undermined your credibility with your last comment.

• W McLean
      June 18, 2013 - 10:29

Agnes, do you have any evidence of ''fish quotas'' being used ''as the conductor to generate international trade for the Beef, Agriculture and Manufacturing industries of Central Canada'', or are you just spouting the usual mythological bunk?

• a business man
      June 18, 2013 - 19:56

Sorry, but I disagree with you. I think creating a vibrant fishing industry is the last thing Ottawa should ever do, and I am glad that the fish quota was used as part of the global trade movement to create a vibrant in central Canada. To me, central Canada is more important than Newfoundland. Heck, I consider the US states in which I have investments as being more important than Newfoundland. But don't blame the Quebecers....it is US, the majority of voters that don't care about Newfoundland...it is me, voter who use their Newfoundland vote to benefit his own personal interests in Ontario. The government is just the representative. It is the majoirty of Canadians that do not care about Newfoundland. I was born here and have investments here, but I am part of that majoirty that is happy to see Newfoundland fail as long as central Canada thrives. I understand that you disagree, but please respect the opinion and views of Newfoundlanders like me who consider central Canada to be of the utmost importance.