Stronger reaction to Alberta letter

I was shocked by the bigotry toward N.L. people by Shawn Mitchell’s letter in The Calgary Sun.

As a Newfoundlander and Labradorian, I cannot understand this hostility towards us given what we have given to Alberta and Canada.

I lived in Calgary for six years and pleased to report most Albertans are tolerant and decent people and bigots like Shawn Mitchell makes it bad for us all.

While N.L. is not a perfect place, we gave a lot to Alberta dispute the prejudice against us.

Newfoundland and Labrador had sent Alberta doctors, nurses, teachers, skilled trades, engineers, and other talent and help grow their economy.

People from our province are Rhode Scholars like Bill Rowe and Danny Williams and have contributed to this country. N.L. has exported exceptional talent like Seamus O’Regan who hosted “Canada AM.”

Don’t forget those Newfoundlander and Labradorians who fought and died for Albertans and this country.

Heroes like Gen. Rick Hillier is the iconic military leader whom all Canada should be proud but in Shawn Mitchell’s world, this great man is just another worthless Newfoundlander and Labradorian.

Given this awful bigotry towards us, I think it’s time for us take N.L. out of Canada. Because who wants to live and work in a country where we are not wanted?

Helen Webster

St. John’s

Geographic location: Alberta, Canada, The Calgary Sun Calgary Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Maxine
    August 03, 2013 - 15:20

I have lived in Calgary for almost 22 years. I love this city. Although some people may think the worst of Newfoundlanders, the majority don't form an opinion at all. In my work I hear people comment that their Newfoundlander friends are the best, which I hear more often than negativity. I have also heard with my own ears negative being directed at me in the tone of she's just another dumb Newfie for not being able to pronounce a presons name properly the first time I heard it. I could have walked out on the job but, like all the other Newfie's here I needed the job and stayed in spite of the comment. I believe I have become very good at the job I do over the years and it's a job I was happy to take at a whopping $8.50 per hour when the one I left was paying me much more. Seems no one else wanted the job. So Newfoundand and Labrador, don't stop protesting about how you feel when insulted. I found that smiling and being as nice as you can possibly be annoys the shit out of people who think we should all go back home. If they think that so easy to do, they are sadly mistaken. I'm sure that the majority of us here in Alberta would surely want to be home with their families. I know I would.

• jake
    August 03, 2013 - 12:44

I would like to meet this Shawn Mitchell and give him a piece of my mind, I am from the rock and been in Alberta for 18 years and with us there would not even be a oil patch, as for us not being smart you better give your head a shake or some Newfie wil

• Kev
    August 01, 2013 - 19:11

Helen, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out of Canada. I won't be coming with you though. Signed, Labradorian.

• saelcove
    August 01, 2013 - 09:49

Dave you nailed it

• Joe
      August 01, 2013 - 13:50

I trust you and David will start to improve yourselves tomorrow morning.

• david
      August 01, 2013 - 15:05

And I trust you won't Joe....which is really what you and your ilk don't get, and which is my point. But thanks for illustrating it for other, more cerebral or self-aware people who might be lurking. There's a chance.

• Sasha
      August 02, 2013 - 10:06

***David*** Aren't those falling down drunk people everywhere??? Its not just Newfoundlanders's....i'm lolling so hard at what you had to say actually. You sound like you live in your own little world. There are lots of drunks, people without work ethics, loud mouths and punks everywhere in Canada. Did you even read what you wrote before you submitted your comment. You are stereotyping. We don't judge one group of people because of the actions of some, think about that....if that's the case then everyone in Canada should leave. As for NL leaving Canada, very silly comment as well. Everyone is so upset because of that actions of one man...Let's look at the bigger picture. NL needs Alberta just as much as Alberta needs NL. Don't let one Albertan get you guys down....he's not worth the effort. This Albertan is glad you guys are here. (Edmonton)

• david
      August 02, 2013 - 11:40

Sasha: You are oblivious....no where else on the planet does everyone, on cue, lose their bowels" over a bit of piddly criticism....do you get it, or is your bling rage still blocking ouit the Sun?

• david
    August 01, 2013 - 08:38

While the letter makes a sweeping generalization about Newfoundlanders' behavior, and a wildly inaccurate summary of the labour market dynamics in Alberta, it is not a completely baseless slur. I have seen and known many Newfoundlanders who, when they get together in groups, act like absolute classless hooligans. That's just a fact, and it is no more unreasonable for someone to put broad, negative labels on such groups as any other. We all want to believe that everyone in the world loves all Newfoundlanders for our humour, work ethic and humility...and some do. But some know us as lazy drunks, loudmouths and punks, because that's their experience. Instead of shouting down the opinion, do something to change it.

• McLovin
      August 01, 2013 - 19:17

Dave, show me a country/province/city/town/community any where in the world that doesn't have classless hooligans, lazy drunks, loudmouths and punks.

• david
      August 02, 2013 - 10:05

McLovin: Show me a place where people are so defensive and thin-skinned as to get so unanimously outraged by the opinion of some guy. .....Ooooh, I know this one!

• McLovin
      August 02, 2013 - 13:56

I agree with that Dave. The only reason these letters keep surfacing is because we always overreact when the opinions make headlines. The guy who wrote this is a nobody, ignore him, his opinions and everyone else like him and they will go away.

• Ben Turpin
    August 01, 2013 - 08:10

Cecil Rhodes is a colossal symbol of bigotry-driven colonization. Bill Rowe still refers to developing regions as the third world on the radio. We need road scholars, and ferry scholars. I think the fella who wrote that letter is a Newfie just getting ye all on the go. The Telegram should contact him for an interview.

• disgusted
    August 01, 2013 - 07:44

if Bill Rowe and Danny Williams are the only examples of Rhodes Scholars you can come up with Helen... maybe Shawn Mitchell has a point..