Speed isn’t the issue

I have to disagree with your article in Wednesday July 31 paper. You say that speed is the primary reason for accidents on our highways. I say it is frustration causing speed.

It is illegal to pass on the left on the highways.

But when you have commuters staying in the left hand lane not doing the speed limit or staying side by each with another driver, we have no choice but to get frustrated and speed to get around them when we can.

I believe it is also illegal to hold up traffic. It seems the police do not know of this law as it is never enforced.

If you want to cut down on speeders keep right except to pass and let those who choose to speed get caught by the police or get the police to give tickets to those who don't know the law or common courtesy.

Then you will see a drastic decline in speed and accidents on our highways.

Ken Noseworthy

Goulds

Comments

Comments

• Jeremy Hall, Chief of Bay de Grave Regional Fire Dept.
    August 03, 2013 - 09:39

No offence to anybody folks, but speed and human error are usually the main factors in every vehicle crash. The speed of 100 km/hr is for ideal driving conditions, warm clear sunny days! The average speed on the TCH is about 150 kms/hr believe it ir not. Sure road conditions are not the best but when the roads are not great SLOW DOWN. Yes there are a lot of inconsiderate drivers too and a good many have forgotten the rules of the road too! In my opinion when you have to renew your drivers license you should have to retake a road test again to ensure people are still knowledgable on the rules and regulations of driving! Please Be Careful and Take Care on Our Highways......

• Ed Power
    August 02, 2013 - 17:02

Perhaps, Eli, you missed my point about "driving defensively"? You know, anticipating problems and driving so as to avoid them? I'm sorry if you slept through that part of your driving classes, but I did not. If it isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate it if you could provide me with your vehicle type and licence number so that I might avoid whichever road you might be travelling on in the future. Thanks.?

• Eli
      August 06, 2013 - 12:41

Get back behind the wheel Ed and "Keep Left Except To Pass". That's not only my style, it's the law man!

• Eli
      August 07, 2013 - 07:28

Whoops! Should have said: "Keep RIGHT Except To Pass". As if anybody cares at this point.

• Eli
    August 02, 2013 - 08:47

Mr. Noseworthy is bang-on identifying the likes of yourself who "hang in the left lane". It makes my blood boil too. "Keep Right Except To Pass" is for everybody, We can't have every Tom, Dick, & Harry deciding what lane HE thinks he should be in. I disagree 'tho with his assessment absolving speeders.

• Eli
      August 02, 2013 - 11:37

My comment was directed at Ed Power.

• Sara
      August 02, 2013 - 22:22

Agree with Eli and Mr. Noseworthy! "Keep right except to pass" is the signage on the TCH.. Outer ring may be a different story because of all the merges but not the TCH.. You're not supposed to block both lanes. The veterans highway to Carbonear is absolutely HORRID.. The drivers are driving 50-60 km/h on sunny days.. It's different when it's raining or snowing or foggy but on a bright sunny day it's unnecessary to be driving 60 km/h on a highway. Where are the cops? If a driver is driving 40 km over they'd get pulled over so why not when they're doing 40 km over? Because it's just as dangerous. There's another route to take where you can drive slow so why not take that route? It doesn't make sense why people do this.

• Joe
      August 04, 2013 - 14:38

Eli and Ken two fine examples of poor drivers in Newfoundland. They think the roads were made just for them. Please save a life and ride the bus.

• Ed Power
    August 02, 2013 - 05:23

I would suggest that there are some very practical reasons for a driver to travel in the left-hand lane on our highways, and safety would be one of the critical ones. The right-hand lanes are heavily rutted and pitted from the volume of traffic. In many areas the on/off ramps and merge lanes are poor designed, constructed and sited. For example, anyone travelling into St. John's from CBS in the right-hand lane encounters, within a kilometre or so of the TCH overpass, a merge lane from Modern Paving - which was installed a few years ago after a particularly gruesome accident to reduce the number of accidents at that location - an off-ramp to the TCH west, an on-ramp from the TCH west, an off-ramp to the TCH east and an an off-ramp from the TCH east. A kilometre or so further, and you encounter another off-ramp to Ruth Ave, an on-ramp from Ruth Ave (which is obscured by a tree and brush covered hill), a off-ramp to Ruby Line, a heavily pot-holed overpass, and then an on-ramp from Ruby Line. Driving amongst the thousands of cars attempting to safely merge into and out of the traffic flow during peak traffic hours is not for the faint of heart. For self-preservation when I travel into the city along this route I move into the left lane, when safe to do so prior to the Modern Paving exit and proceed along in that lane until I am safely past the Ruby Line overpass. After that point you are relatively safe in the right-hand lane until you pass through the Kilbride area. Perhaps if the speeding drivers Mr. Noseworthy seems concerned about were to slow down marginally, drive defensively, maintain a 'space cushion' around their vehicle and plan their route to anticipate problems such as the ones I identified above, they would need to race to their destination. And, remember, watch out for moose.