Leave St. Clare’s as it is

As I collected my Saturday edition of The Telegram from my mailbox I noticed a familiar image gracing the front page, the statute of St. Clare.

I say familiar, as the day before I had cause to visit St.Clare’s hospital as I have  a number of times over the years. I had a 7 a.m. appointment and upon leaving almost an hour later through the main lobby, noticed that there was a considerable number of people seated in the lobby waiting area on either side of the statue of St. Clare, which is located in the corner.

My immediate reaction, though I’m not Catholic, (I was born in St.Clare’s), was one of comfort.

Being in a hospital I’ve always felt the more religious symbols the better. The only place you pray more than in church is when you’ve been hospitalized, particularly if the situation can be or is serious.

This is why I was surprised and disappointed when I read the accompanying article, which spread over to page four.

My surprise was why The Telegram would even run this piece, my disappointment that Mr. Loder would appoint himself the champion of an individual who was uncomfortable with the religious symbols and who obviously has a problem with the Catholic faith.

Mr. Loder goes on to say that “he was coming from it that in this day and age, they (I guess he means the government) should be a little more inclusive because it is a public facility.”

I say too bad, Mr. Loder, if the statute of a saint — a woman who dedicated her life to the poor and sick almost 900 years ago, and crucifixes, offends anyone. It was only months ago that an individual had the cross removed from the outside of St. Matthew’s school because the cross offended them. It seems that we use the term “this day and age” as an excuse to advance causes that sometimes destroy the fabric of our beliefs as well as our religious heritage.

What’s next? Camouflage the exterior of all of our churches so no one will be offended as they pass by?

Mr. Loder wants Eastern Health to remove religious symbols from St. Clare’s when the agreement with the Sisters of Mercy expires in 2015.

I say to Eastern Health, leave

St. Clare’s as it is. I, for one, have always found comfort there.

Jeff Blackwood

Mount Pearl

Geographic location: St.Clare

Comments

Comments

• RBoydston
    August 14, 2013 - 14:00

Pagans have statues and pictures of dead people, called saints. Christians don't pray to these things and a plain cross is a sign of The Lord's sacrifice. I find it very offensive and disrespectful to pray and bow down to a statue. Try reading the 2nd Commandment!

• joanne picco
    August 14, 2013 - 10:29

I can't believe we are allowing ourselves to be bullied into removing religious symbols that have been around forever. You don't have to agree or disagree just live and let live atheist agnostic and believers in all things. dont shove your beliefs on others but symbols do not hurt anyone

• Glenda
    August 13, 2013 - 21:17

I visited New York this year for vacation, while there I visited Ground Zero. Everywhere I went there was a cross made from the wreckage of the twin towers. I wonder what Mr. Loder has to say about that. I wonder would he ask New Yorkers to take down the crosses? Good luck with that. Newfoundlands schools and churches were all started by the churches, that is our history, you don't like it That to bad.We all see things around that we don't like but most of us just turn a blind eye. My advice is to get over it.

• Ron Tizzard
    August 13, 2013 - 12:37

Marshall, I fully agree. These naysayers are either atheists, or can't get their heads around symbols and/or belief systems'. Their empty, black and white lives must be a load to carry...!

• Jeff
      August 13, 2013 - 13:32

I can't get my head around why a loving god would create life then damn it to eternal pain if it doesn't believe in this god. I would rather learn how to think than what to think.

• Ali Greenberg-Soper
    August 13, 2013 - 09:25

This is still idolatry. This is satanic behavior to fundamentalist Islam. We should just have a public debate on al, this foolishness. Looks at the statue of the young misses holding a submachine gun up da shore. If a stature of st clare offends, what does this do to please Satan?

• Marshall Art
    August 13, 2013 - 08:06

Mr. Loder should give his head a shake. He wants religious symbols removed from a hospital that bears the name of a saint ?. Perhaps he thinks statues of St. Bernard dogs would be more appropriate ?. Some people simply need to get a life and give it up with the nonsensical crusades.