Comments

Comments

• Shawn
    August 16, 2013 - 01:41

I was quoted in the article, and contrary to Amanda's assertion, it wasn't an 'easy' decision for me. I'm anything but wealthy. I worked in a fish plant for years after high school, went into debt for university and worked my ass off for scholarships for grad school. Good thing for her she didn't make it to law school, I say. Cheers

• Brad
    August 15, 2013 - 11:16

Amanda, I have kept hearing for the past 8 years that there will be mass retirements soon. I'll believe it when I see it. We don't need a law school here, many people are struggling to get jobs as it is in the law profession, and the ones that manage to do so are paid peanuts. You don't make the good coin until you hit partner. Law school used to be a good fall-back option 5 years ago, but it is oversaturated and over-rated now.

• John
    August 15, 2013 - 10:33

The one thing missing from these arguments is the benefit to the people of NL in having academic research and critique of court decisions and government legislation and policy as it relates to NL. This is very important to future development within the Province.

• Mark
    August 15, 2013 - 10:17

MUN should be innovative if the Law School goes ahead. It should offer a part-time program (not available in Canadian law schools but dozens of american and British ones). You should not have to quit your job to study the law.

• Marty
    August 15, 2013 - 08:48

Expansion of our Medical school would also bean excellent idea for the same reasons. I know of people who had to leave not only the province but the country to get into Med school in a reasonable timeframe. Memorial's med school only has a certain number of seats available to Provincial and ,other Canadian students. Many seats are kept for International students who are charged much higher tuition.

• Michael
      August 15, 2013 - 09:54

That big new piece they are putting on the HSC. Med school extension...and I have to agree with Amanda, MUN needs a Law School. It's not just about NL students, their are a lot more students looking to go to Law school then in our province.

• Jon
    August 15, 2013 - 07:06

Well said Amanda. I agree there should be a law school here and that Newfoundlanders and Labradorians have the option to study law in their home province. I think this would be a great fit for MUNs recent purchase of the battery.