You have your beliefs; I have mine

I read with interest Barb Sweet’s article on the above topic.  (“Question of Faith” Aug. 10 Weekend Telegram.

Terry Loder, I have to wonder why the sight of religious icons/artifacts at St. Clare’s bothered you so much that you felt it necessary to start a campaign to have them removed.

You mentioned speaking to an elderly lady from rural Newfoundland who felt “uncomfortable” with these icons but nowhere else in the whole article did you once refer to that lady again.

You didn’t say what, if anything specific, the lady said. Maybe you were the one who actually made a comment to her. At any rate, did you really then take it upon yourself to actually take the time to go around St. Clare’s and count how many icons there were?

I am a practising Roman Catholic and have been a patient at St. Clare’s on a couple of occasions over the last 40 years, Mr. Loder, and I have never once heard a negative comment from anybody upset with seeing religious icons there.

Seems to be, sir, that you are part of a very tiny group of people (such as the parent who complained to the Eastern school board about the cross on St. Matthew’s School) who need to do something more productive with their lives than sweating the small stuff.

You can always choose not to visit St. Clare’s at all. The parent who complained about the cross on the school at St. Matthew’s can always send his/her child elsewhere.

We all have choices, Mr. Loder. You have your beliefs; I have mine. There are things offensive to everyone at some point in their lives but they certainly don’t go around starting campaigns on every little minor detail.

Catherine Breen

St. John’s

Organizations: Eastern school board

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Matthew

Comments

Comments

• Jon Smith
    August 15, 2013 - 12:49

I thought the days of removing great symbols from public places ended in Newfoundland when the RED TRENCH was removed from the confederation building long long ago.

• Politically Incorrect
    August 15, 2013 - 10:37

To take from what Donald said: how can you be offended by something that isn't there? Are you offended because there are no crosses on malls, on arenas, at Robin Hood Bay? Personally, I don't like how we're expected to passively accept that any religion should dominate civil society, but when you child has to walk under a cross every day to go to school, the assumption is there. This backlash from the "Christians" demonstrates how vehement they are that their supremacy not be questioned. To do otherwise is politically incorrect. But you have to love how the Christian Right portrays themselves as the poor oppressed minority.

• politically incorrect
      August 15, 2013 - 11:15

I should have said some Christians. I imagaine there are many out there attending to more pressing matters.

• gman
    August 15, 2013 - 10:30

Donna we don't live in a Christian country either there is no official state religion in Canada. therefore taxpayer funded building should be religious symbol free and that is the right thing to do that's why cross was removed from St. Matthews. By the way if Religious people have such great morals, How can you explain 911, Mount Cashel, Fr. Hickey, Bishop Lahey?

• tom power
    August 15, 2013 - 09:13

I expect Loder and the lady from the bay who isn't Catholic are expressing their anti Catholic feelings. Funny, another outlet had a story about our growing Muslim population. They need a new mosque, their members are growing, they like it here, consider themselves newfie, and are not offended by Christian symbols.Usually it's left leaning Caucasians who feel they know how every person who isn't Caucasian or Christian feel. Those who scream inclusion and tolerance can be the most intolerant as we are finding out.

• gman
    August 15, 2013 - 07:29

Catherine I agree with you when you say " You have your beliefs I have mine". In todays modern thinking world not everyone is Christian and Catholic, or believe in god anymore ( just look at church attendance). Therefore these symbols should be removed, from all public(taxpayer) buildings irregardless of your beliefs.

• Donna
      August 15, 2013 - 10:13

yes you have your beliefs and I have mine, however if we went to a non christian country would we have the right to ask to have their religious artifacts removed from sight. And in regards to church attendance, I don't know what church you attend but the one I attend is bursting at ther seams with new young families bringing their children. A cross represents, sacrifice,forgiveness,and love, something our society needs. Removing them helps nothing, I do not believe it is our non christian friends requesting these symbols be removed, they have more respect.

• Donald
    August 15, 2013 - 05:55

Mr. Loader doesn't just speak for himself. There are many of us who feel that religious icons are fine in private homes, synagogues, churches, mosques, chapels, etc. But public institutions should be just that. Yes, there are other things to worry about; there are always “other things’ to worry about. So why are you so concerned that a member of our society wants to help it evolve into an inclusive one? Why don’t you, Catherine, worry about poverty, the environment, or hunger? Isn’t that what Christians are supposed to do? Like you say, you have your beliefs and others have theirs. How can anyone be offended by something that isn’t there. .