Sure glad I don’t share your view

Why did people make all the fuss about the eight-foot-high railing that runs along the harbourfront in St. Johns, when not even a peep is made of that monstrous $10-million, two-storey restaurant that obstructs the view entirely for about a block?

And do I also see yet another five-storey parking lot going up over the old Woolworth’s store? We’re supposed to stop and admire the view after parking our vehicles downtown? Give me the much-maligned fence any day.

I honestly don’t get people in St. John’s, and their quirkiness about such things. That new restaurant edifice is an eyesore, as is the Keg next door, for any harbourfront “development.”

Do we have a committee looking after the harbour, or do we just turn our backs when someone spills a bucketload of cash into the project? It appears cash walks the walk when it comes to spoiling harbour views in our Snobtown. At least the restaurants shouldn’t pay over the top for sewer hookup! They can simply launch it over their patio decks into the harbour.

People in St. John’s could take a look at the too numerous waterfront revival projects around the world, like those of Liverpool, U.K., or indeed Halifax to appreciate what revitalizing the downtown harbour experience will entail.

Tourism is a $1-billion industry employing over 12,000 people in this province. What do we do in St. Johns? We build multi-storey car parks and two-storey steak houses in front of the harbour. Pathetic! Yeah, I want my four young kids, let alone the thousands of tourists, to see this exciting new cultural statement.

Some people just don’t have a clue.

Loving my unobstructed view of Conception Bay South.

Tony McGann

Conception Bay South

Geographic location: Liverpool

Comments

Comments

• Roger
    August 24, 2013 - 23:33

Why anyone would want to eat next to the biggest cesspool in North America has always baffled me.

• Frank
    August 24, 2013 - 08:07

Keg. Overpriced pub food!

• Ron Tizzard
    August 23, 2013 - 10:54

Personally, I don't believe it was necesary for tightening the security on the st. john's waterfront, most particularly the ugly black fence-line. I think it's all a charade, concocked by the Cruise-fixated Mayor of the city. The fence-line gives the scent of importance, largess....major-league largess...,a secure haughtiness. Was there ever a significant issue, that the general public was apprised of; driving this exclusionary approach? As these ships approach our treacherous waters, are they apprised of the dangers of stepping of the ship, touring our 'jewel of a city? Have residents ever broken harbour-front security lines to bother, steal from or rape innocent tourists? Not that I am aware of, and I have never heard of media stories of robberies, attacks, or visiting guests being assaulted! So, why was/is the fence being constructed...can we be apprised once again? Anytime I've have driven the harbour-front while a ship has been in, traffic has been slow, but I have never seen visitors being harrassed...personally, I have never heard of any reports of guests being harrassed. So, why was the fence established...my best guess is that it is all a 'BIG-BOY' CHARADE. This said...I do certainly agree that some basic security is necessary...to the degree that it is at this point simply has the secent of pretention on the part of LITTLE BIG BOYS...AT CITY HALL, OR THE HALLS OF THE CRUISE INDUSTRY.

• saelcove
    August 23, 2013 - 09:59

Someone need to let the people of st,john,s know this is 2013 not 1813

• wild rose
      August 23, 2013 - 11:22

Exacticaly seal cove....its called development stupid hippest!

• wild rose
      August 23, 2013 - 11:33

It's not my community! Our christian values are the ones under attack. Thats the hate crime against morality

• Tony Rockel
      August 23, 2013 - 16:11

Yes, Wild Rose--- my sentiments EXACT-ICALLY! We mustn't let these stupid hippests get in the way of PROGRESS. What we need is more and more ugly buildings festooning the waterfront, until the harbour view is nothing more than a fond memory.

• Craig
    August 23, 2013 - 09:01

The flap about the fence was started by O'Leary who needed to gain some publicity for here run at being mayor. Another was a publicity stunt by the star of the Republic of Doyle. Another was a federal politician who needs to get reelected another term to qualify for a federal pension. The truth is the fence is far better than the barricades that were there before and it is far more friendly that the high-rise towers and parking garages that have taken over the waterfront. If you want to talk about a development that ruins the view/skyline of St. John's? The harbor front fence is but a subtle, friendly, inconspicuous addition when compared to the monstrosity that is "The Rooms".

• Eastender
    August 23, 2013 - 07:58

I agree Anna I had lived in the downtown area most of my life the last 30 years the fence don't look bad,you are right all these buildings and parking garages going up are making our downtown look over crowed,the traffic is unreal residents cannot park it's time to turn water street and Duckworth st into oneway streets it is impossible to drive these Streets.Everywhere you look council are giving permits to everyone to open bussineses,keep the business downtown not up the hill these business are putting flowers boxes,decks right on the sidewalk,but I can't upgrade my windows,Money is what is driving all this construction on the waterfront our Mayor is greedy he wants our city bigger then others,I hope he does not get in again,we really need a whole bunch of councilors.Galgay he don't even live in the downtown area so why represent us,now we have his nephew running for us again who don't live down here.I could go on and on but it's frustrating.

• Anna
    August 23, 2013 - 07:35

Every time I drive by that restaurant, I wonder how much the City was paid to shut up and let this guy go ahead with this ugly building. It is totally out of character for the water front and it completely blocks all the view from those people who are staying at the Murray Premises Hotel. The only way I can voice my displeasure is by not eating there when it opens.