Comments

Comments

• Terry Loder
    September 14, 2013 - 10:44

Kindly note that the good works of the sisters of mercy at St. Clare's and is this Province is well recognized by all faiths. I do respect their past. Kindly accept that St. Clare's is now owned by all the people of this Province, and like any public facility e.g.. schools, hospitals, Confederation bldg, etc, NO ONE RELIGION should have the right "under an agreement signed many years ago with the government" to impose their beliefs and values on others regarding abortion or other health matters. Why should any male be denied a vasectomy at St. Clare's because of your religious belief? Your question "Couldn’t she be accommodated at the Heath Sciences Centre?", certainly demonstrates compassion and religious accommodation of others. The elderly patient I represented, in my initial remarks to the Telegram, would find no comfort in such an observation. The situation at St. Clare's, the last of its kind in this Province, is not a " matter of faith", but rather a "matter of facts"

• rebecca king
    September 13, 2013 - 07:53

i agree with everything mary tarrant said ,,, what is the world comming to .. so sad . where will all this end for our kids in the future ...

• Janet
    September 12, 2013 - 16:03

I too read the august article and was a bit peturbed at this man's point of view....I could not add anything to your article because you said everything I thought of and believe it was well said. Thanks for speaking up.

• Doug Smith
    September 12, 2013 - 09:59

Mr. Squeaker, your assertion, “Hardline secularism is showing itself to be more manic and destructive than the greatest delusions ever induced by theology”, is factually incorrect. Statements like that show a severe lack of historical knowledge. On a different topic, why not use your own name? Surely your comments here don’t put you in any danger? Doug Smith, Grand Falls-Windsor

• Dee
    September 12, 2013 - 09:09

Well said I certainly agree,if that hospital bothers you well it's always the HSC,What will happen next my neighbor will be insulted because I have an angel or a nativity scene on my lawn at Christmas time,will we soon be told to remove these.I guess I will end up in court,it's coming people.

• MrSqueaker
    September 12, 2013 - 05:20

Hardline secularism is showing itself to be more manic and destructive than the greatest delusions every induced by theology. Look at what is going on in Quebec. John Locke, writing his Letters Concerning Toleration (1689–92) in the aftermath of the European wars of religion, formulated a classic reasoning for religious tolerance. Three arguments are central: (1) Earthly judges, the state in particular, and human beings generally, cannot dependably evaluate the truth-claims of competing religious standpoints; (2) Even if they could, enforcing a single "true religion" would not have the desired effect, because belief cannot be compelled by violence; (3) Coercing religious uniformity would lead to more social disorder than allowing diversity.[16]