Perplexed by op-ed on premier

I was interested in and a little confused by Mr. Wangersky’s column in Saturday’s paper (Sept. 7). For one thing, I was wondering why The Telegram decided to elevate an op-ed piece to the front page of the paper, which is where news would be reported, rather than stories are created.

I have to ask why your paper would make that move. It seems to give undue significance to an opinion piece, rather than fair and balanced reporting which I would idealistically hope for.

In addition, and probably more perplexing, I am struck by the fact that Mr. Wangersky would call for the premier to step down half way through her term, while she has the support of her party and at a time when this province is at the pinnacle of success. We are leading the country in economic growth according to the Conference Board of Canada and various economists; people are getting jobs and making good money; the roads are much improved; new schools are being built; and we are hearing about the new discoveries and booming in the offshore in your paper. The government has a strategy to make the province stronger and is in better shape than the one I saw 10 years ago.  I don’t believe that can happen if the premier and government don’t know what they’re doing, so why would she quit now?

I, for one, hope the Premier doesn’t step down. Keep going, Madam Premier.

We are better off with you at the helm and will be better off to keep you there.

Toby Barnes,

Mount Pearl

Editor’s note: Russell Wangersky was not involved in the decision as to where his Sept. 7 column was placed. The Telegram has often run opinion pieces on page A1, particularly if they are deemed to be of widespread interest.

Organizations: Conference Board of Canada

Comments

Comments

• Ben
    September 25, 2013 - 10:22

Well said Toby. No trouble to tell why Wangersky's piece was on the front page of the telegram, its all about the ratings! Write this one down...Russell will run for the Liberals in 2015. He already fills in on political panels for the Party. Sad to see journalism being used like this. Report the news, not some fabrication of what one of your reporters would like to happen.

• Eli
    September 24, 2013 - 13:42

Pinnacle of success, the booming offshore. So tell me Tony why is the premier lauding our success and at the same ime cryin' the blues. In case you missed it we've cut back everywhere, big time.

• Eli
    September 24, 2013 - 13:40

• SAYWHAT
    September 24, 2013 - 10:03

Here we go again. Another pro Dunderdale letter from a poor soul who just doesn't get it. Yes the Conference Board of Canada and RBC and others say its great. Well, let me quote you just two statistics from the federal government. First it's the E.I. program characteristics report from Sept 8/13 to Oct 12/13. District 01 is the Northeast Avalon. District 02 is the rest of Newfoundland and Labrador. The unemployment rate for district 02 is 15.4 percent. Only four other provincial districts out of 55 across this country have a higher unemployment rate. Want another? How about the latest initial and renewal claims for e.i. in this province. That's up 4.3 percent year or year. That's the highest percentage increase in Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia had a declines) and third highest percentage increase among the provinces. What strategy I ask you?

• Eli
    September 24, 2013 - 09:53

I too am perplexed Toby. With all this prosperity and success why the hell is the government cryin' the blues, laying off so much of our public service, and threatened by Moody's to adjust our credit rating.

• Sick of the shills
    September 24, 2013 - 09:38

The author's rationale that Dunderdale is doing a good job is... wait for it - her own party supports her and the offshore oil is providing tons of revenue for the province. What more could we ask for in a leader lol! The news story is that the public has little confidence in this premier's ability to perform her job. What her party thinks, or the fact that she's spending money that she had no role in earning, has nothing to do with it. Ken Collins nailed it. This government will be remembered for the opportunities they missed, not the ones they created.

• Ken Collis
    September 24, 2013 - 07:39

Well Toby, lets compare the government to a family that I know who won the lottery. Getting the money was easy for them. They just had to buy a ticket. Getting the money was easy for the government. They just had to let companies have access to our resourses and then tax them. The family I know bought a new house, new cars for everyone in the family, gave away televisions to friends for Christmas, invested in a business they knew nothing about, bought a nice cottage around the bay, and are currently living and working in Cowberta, after selling all they had to get the moving expenses. Getting the money was easy for them, and for a while we all thought they had it made, but after a few years of waste and mis-management we all saw the truth, and we are all seeing the truth politically now as well. (NOTE: the family I write of is fictional and does not identify with anyone I know or have met.)

• Bob Torraville
      September 25, 2013 - 01:30

Well written piece, Ken Collis. I could not have said it better myself. When people like Dennis Browne (who I assume have no political objective) have such an alarming opinion on the Muskrat Falls Project, I wonder about who is running the ship and whether a mutiny is in order!!!

• Jon Smith
    September 24, 2013 - 06:38

To make the statement "the roads are much improved" suggests that you drive with blinkers on or do not drive at all.

• Ed Power
    September 24, 2013 - 06:15

Now that the PC "Love-In" is over, let the "spinning" begin. The Open Line callers, Poll padders and letter writers will be more plentiful than this years crop of blueberries. There is nothing quite as desperate as a "grassroots" campaign led by operatives in the political backrooms. It is beginning to look like and sound the last days of the Grimes government.